1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ all

Thanks again everyone, I will be looking into all what has been suggested and then if things are not the way I want them I will add those fans...how do I attached the fan to the fins? Do they come with brackets or something?

Will be doing all this Sat. again thanks...

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@sarthak14
    First suggestion for a case...should give you plenty of room for peripherals...
    http://www.svc.com/pc-v2000a-p2.html

Suggestion #2...Same as above...but with a window...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112119

Suggestion #3...Still meets your peripheral needs...
    http://www.svc.com/sst-tj07-sw.html

Suggestion #4...Still meets your peripheral needs...
    Water Cooled...Nothing to be afraid of...this is water cooling made simple...
    http://www.svc.com/-pc3-720sl.html

Just a couple of possibilities...Tell me if there are any you really like...

3. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

LP531
    Ahh..Jus woke up.
    About the Door....Dsnt Bother Me So MUch.Bt yaah if it dsnt hav one i wnt mind and im guessing itll be much betta.

For the MOtherboard i meant 7 Slots or 6 Slots in total including the one for Graphics Card.
    I would PRefer that u give me a choice between a SLI Board and A NON SLI Board.And if i do end up takin a NON SLI Board, Will i havta chang any of my oTher Components???This i want 2 KnW

Ohky fINE FOR THE Ethernet Thing.

I will NEed A Wifi Card JUst in Case. MY House has WIFI so if i Put it in my room then im guessing il havta use WIFI instead of Ethernet.

Ya No POrblemo.
    And I really Wanna Knw bout the MOTHERBOARD tHING.aS i SAID ABOVE.
    Thanks again Man, U are a Great HELP and so are the oTher members.
    And ill JUSt Look in to the cases.

SUKHVAIL
    Ya thats exactly wat i was lukin for, but this one seems to hav shoddy reviews.NEwa Thanks will LUk into it

4. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

LP531
    Outta the 1st and 2nd case prefer the Second one bt i think it has drive space a but too much and will it be able to put a NVIDIA 8800 GTX in it.

the 3rd one luks really nice bt i cant figure out how will i put the internal HDD's Dnt See easyslot loading and again can it fit NVIDIA 8800 GTX.

4th one Uber AWsome. Jus one gripe and on clarification. the Gripe being wish it had one more internal 3.5" slot. and ya want to clarify ur sayin is it easy to install which is good bt do u need any specific parts For a Water COoled PC or Do You need NOrmal Parts.
    Thanks MAN.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  5. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

@sarthak- don't take newegg's reviews to heart as most of the time it is the owners mistake for their discontent. i have a trendnet pci card in one of my comps and although it didn't review that well, i have had a very consistent connection to the internet, even though it is on another floor and at he opposite end of the house.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

Get some screws from a hardware store to mount the fans to the heatsinks. I had to try severad different sizes and lengths untill I found some that worked. Screw them into the slots between the fins. I had to use different sizes for each heatsink. One took #6 sheetmetal screws and the other took #4 machine screws. Just find some that fit snug between the fins and will grip ok (won't work out).

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Lp531,
    I like all those cases. LOL. I obviously didn't think about my choices enough and haven't had any experience building upper end machines. ;-0 Well at least I added something to start with even if it was a little lacking. hehehe.

btw have you seen the new Jell-O commercial. It mentions something about "WIGGLE ROOM". LMAO. Not a great commercial but I thought about you and your credo. hehehe.

.....gm

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I know 1-3 will hold 2 8800GTX in SLI...4 not sure of yet...but I believe so...I can-not find dimensions on P/S ...need to make sure case can hold these new giant P/S...

By the Spec's...I like the P/S Greenman picked out...I have had problems with thermatake P/S...years ago...they have seemed to improve...so I would not rule it out by any means...Good Spec's...Just can't find dimensions...

As for water cooling...no special components needed...

Like everything Greenman picked...I just would not suggest the Raptor...performance not worth the extra noise...can run two 7200rpm drives...cheaper...with more capacity... in raid for equal performance...with-out the extra noise...

@Greensman
    Liked the case you picked...have never seen it before...just saw some reviews that mentioned that the 4 fans on door...can-not be installed if you have 8800 cards...and over sized P/S...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Before I go out and purchase an external drive for use to backup my internal drive, I cant think of anybody better to answer my question than from people on this forum, looking into circuit city and reading thier customer reports you always get pro's and con's no matter which model you look at.

Because I'm no expert I want to use my an external drive as a mirror backup to everything I have, and ease of use and hookup is equally important to me, I don't want to get into any crazy configurations but a one touch backup if one exsists. thanks.

10. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

Alrie Thanks LP531 and Greensman
    to LP531
    Now Sir Can i have a Full List of what components i should go out and buy or are you still working on it and if u are no problemo give it to me when ure dne...nt in a hurry.

Thanks gain'

I would Also Like My Motherboard Questin to be anwsered as in when u choose my motherboard can u choose a SLI and A NON SLI Board and will i havta change any of the otha components if i pik either of the board.Thanks

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Lp531,
    Yeh I liked the NZXT case but didn't know about the 8800 cards and psu fit problems. :) The cases you picked are unbelievable!! I need to save some more money for my next build and go all out. hehehe. NOT!!! Just going to a dual core would be a big step for me. I'm still in the single core era but she's a good'un. *GRINS*

....gm

"You got any wiggle room?" ~~~Man I love that........lol

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

BigDK nice of you to grace us with your presence. *grins*

I've heard good things about you from docTY, well at least that you have a really, really, really, really fast rig. hehehe.

I'm not even a ranked amateur when it comes to building but I try and these guys are great. Please feel free to help us anytime you can. ;-)

btw nice cases and if I can talk my wife into one on the next build I'm in fo sho. lol.

....gm

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Nice to talk :)
    I'm always floating around here somewhere normally.
    I'm on the Coolermaster mailing list so I thought I'd share what look like very nice cases.
    Trouble is the 830 versions are $899 plus $100 shipping and thats within the US not to the UK, so I can only look and admire.

15. docTY

docTY Regular member

yeah, it's pretty fast, but can be faster once phase change is involved :) i'm looking into phase change myself actually, next on my shopping list.

oh btw, hello everyone, figured i would see what kind of response i would get being a "newbie" again :p all in good fun...

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!

Ya'll know who that is???

Hope I didn't say anything that I shouldn't have. ;-)

Good to see you and hopefully you'll have some input. I think that I'm having a dream. *pinch me* OUCH!! maybe it's REAL????

...gm

edit:
    I just saw your sig. Did you really push it to 4GHz???? OooooooooEeeeeeeey that' screamin!!! LOL.

17. docTY

docTY Regular member

im getting close to completely stabilizing it @ 4ghz at this point, i can pass OCCT/Orthos/Prime/SuperPI/dvd-rb pro encoding (cce + procoder)/etc. @ 3.99ghz, but at a hair higher than 4.1ghz, OCCT crashes my rig. :p i just need to mess with it a bit more and it will happen sooner or later. put it this way, it's stable enough to pass all the "benchmark" testing/racing criteria to get in the 4ghz club, but it is NOT stable enough for an everyday machine at this speed. :)

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi Doc.
    I presume that the 680 chipset is working well then.
    I got held up with my benching by moving to a DQ6 (waste of time that was)
    back on the P5WDH now, and waiting for the Arctic silver to bed in before I start to push it again.
    Tried 4x1GB in it last night, it doesn't like that at all, it starts to make strange sounds for the X-Fi card then locks up.(@3.6Ghz)
    If my DQ6 gets written off(currently RMA'd) I'm getting a Commando or or P5B to play with.
    My palnned phase cooler got binned when first my heating system had a split hot water tank. Just parts and tools set me back £1100 (ouch)
    I'm looking to a get a chilly1Extreme unit most likely.

19. docTY

docTY Regular member

hi BigDK,

good to see you still around and helping people out over here...i would have to say that YOU are my esteemed collegue from across the pond, our interests and builds are very similar and i trust your results and experiences 100% :) (very few people hold that title with me, it takes quite a bit for someone to earn MY respect in the overclocking scene, not based on numbers mind you, but actual knowledge about what goes into the process...simply bumping up voltages, bumping up FSB and tweaking dividers is NOT what i would personally consider an experienced overclocker, doing that sort of stuff is "overclocking 101" and very basic) :)

anyways, as most of my "friends" on here know, i speak very highly of you and your ability in the OC'in/building scene; not that i'm implying that i talk behind your back LOL, but you have earned MY respect as a knowledgeable and experienced builder, so in my absence, i've brought up your name in passing as someone I personally would trust for suggestions/advice~ :p

as to your presumption on the 680i chipset, yes, thus far i am VERY pleased with the results, i've used several revisions of the eVGA 680i mobo (didn't feel like dropping a half fortune for the Asus Striker LOL) but i have 3 "projects" currently with the eVGA 680i as the backbone. :) my newest A1 revision board will be arriving next week from eVGA as i swapped my AR for the "upgraded" version so i can test the overclocking on the Quad-core Kentsfield :) the "fix" on the overclocking barrier for the quad-cores that so many people were complaining about is supposed to be implemented in the newest A1 revision. i will find out soon enough if it is true.

one thing i should mention to you about the 680i chipset is that at least on MY boards, memory configurations are a bit tricky..meaning, the ones that are on the list of "compatible" modules isn't always true in the real world. namely the really high end sticks that i chose to try out: ie. Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-9136C5D and the 2GB DDR2 PC2-9600 1200MHz 128x64 240pin CL5 Kingston Hyper X KHX9600D2K2/2G kits.

i have only managed to get the various kits i have to boot w/ 2 x 1gb configurations and it was completely random in that sometimes it would work in dual channel in the blue slots and then sometimes it would only boot in the black slots. the Corsair pc2-6400C4s were the only kits that would boot in any configuration everytime, solid, stable and even undervolted :) the "high end" memory module kits were a bit more complicated to work with, but i feel as the chipset matures and newer BIOSes are released, hopefully these memory issues will be ironed out completely.

can't say i've tried any of the Gigabyte branded boards yet in ANY chipset for the LGA775, but i will keep your suggestion in mind and steer away from them if you are saying that it was a waste of time for you. i almost pulled the trigger on picking up the Asus Commando or the Asus P5N32-E just to try them out, but decided last minute i would stick with my eVGA 680i's and give them some time to mature. i have a close personal friend that has had tremendous success with the P965 chipset (Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi), he's reached higher FSB than i did when i was using the Asus P5WDH-Deluxe. i was quite impressed to be honest with you, custom water cooling much like myself and similar to your cooling setup. :)

with the releases of a few new "revisions" to mobos (namely the newer P965 boards im impressed with), i think the enthusiast market will be very pleased with the vast selection of chipsets they can go with now, each with their own PLUS and MINUSES and they can decide which suits THEIR needs the best. as much as i recommend the Asus 975s, the newer 965s are VERY viable options to consider and i PERSONALLY have had great success using the 680i chipset.

i'm sorry to hear about your unexpected expense that needed to be taken care of, which ultimately put your phase change on a short delay...i'm actually looking and seriously considering either the ASETEK (04-L-1152) Vapochill Lightspeed or the ASETEK Vapochill XE II Titanium Cooling System (01-L-4115); since i'm completely NEW to the phase change market, i suppose either of those would suit me just fine for now...i have plans to making a decision before the end of the year, not immediately :) if you have any other suggestions i'd be more than happy to hear your recommendations (or why you have narrowed your own choice down to the chilly1Extreme) :p

gonna go have another drink now LOL, despite having absolutely ZERO Irish blood in me, i don't have much time away from work to begin with so i will make the most of this St. Patrick's Day :) have a good one.

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

docTY, good too see you sir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.