1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, can you show me any real world tests that prove that the 8800GT 256MB is better than a 9600GT? Those reviewers aren't ALL lies. Most reviews put the 8800GT 256 below the 3870 and all of them put the 9600GT at the same level as a 3870. I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, we are all trying to help you get the better value. By your specs logic a Pentium D at 3.2Ghz beats out a Core 2 Duo at 2.8.

Best of Intentions,
    Abuzar

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately Tom's Hardware have now put their uselessly coded UK site onto the US server, so I'm boycotting the site from now on, it's just too useless to get your head around.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Specs are a bit different when it comes to video cards! They have to meet the standards set down by Ati and nVidia. Not only that, the specs I questioned are cast in stone! The 8800GS has a 192 bit memory interface and 92 Stream Processors, while the GigaByte 8800GT has a 256 bit memory interface and 112 Stream Processors! These are the facts, so what's not to believe?

I'm assuming you mean 1.25GHz! LOL!!

The fan thing is no problem to fix. I've already downloaded the bios Flash that will take care of it and let the fan vary it's speed between 29% and up depending on the temperature! I wonder why they felt the need to lock the fan at full chat? By all reports, it's a very cool running video card, even after the bios flash! I've also been advised to install some memory heatsinks to make the card better!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

wel the sorry azz UPS people are at it again. my mobo is out for delivery today. that means at/around 2pm he is at my house normall..well 2:15pm he was here.i went out to his truck to get it.. i hear him in the back of the truck tossing boxes around kicking things, then he comes back to the front. gets in his seat and screams out of here. didnt say anything just gone...so i wait till now.5:15pm and call ups asking whats going on...they told me they scaned it to go onto the truck but didnt put it on there. so it is in there loading area...which i work 3 miles from there, i asked if i could come pick it up? they said no cause technally its on the truck(but physically there) so there wouldnt be any way i could sign for it if i came over there...

UPS can hug a fat boys nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I mean 2.25Ghz, look it up.
    Rob: unfortunately, UPS are messers, it's that simple.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just want to install something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im jealous i cant do/have any fun you guys are

oh man i'm so hot right now its unreal...
    i'll never deal with UPS ever again..next time i order something ill tell them il ay for fedex to ship to me instead

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I wouldn't have it any other way for a performance GPU of any kind. that should be a con instead of a gripe. who wants all that heat in their case. no brainer. regarding noise, I can't even hear my HIS HD3850. it's all but silent. but then again I was used to the roar from my X850XT PE.

I'm still playing with case fan config at the moment but I'm gonna go for a medeocre OC after bit, 3.6ghz or so.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sucks for you guys. I love UPS. They always get me my parts in two days when I order three day ground shipping.

I just opened my 8800GT 1GB. I'll post some benchmarks soon.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Mort, the only problem is that the Gigabyte 8800GT 256 takes up two slots but DOES NOT vent hot air out of the case. It keeps it right in the case.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, keep us posted on how that goes Abuzar, I was tempted to buy one given how abysmal Crossfire has turned out to be, not that I'm too surprised by that of course.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hopefully they'll get it to you tonight. If they aren't able to deliver maybe you can still ask for will call for tonight. I do that a lot here because I'm very seldom home for a delivery so they haul it back to the warehouse miles from my house. It's worth the 15 minute drive for me to go pick up my goodies tho... :D

Robert thanks for the laugh. Good description of UPS and their shenanigans.... hehehe.

...gm

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you got the X3110 cpu right mort? stock 3.0ghz? 3.6ghz OC is medeocre?
    so i shouldnt settle for less than 3.8ghz on my E8400 when i get my new mobo.? say in the next 2 years from UPS..

LMAO

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Forget about real world tests, and we both know that some sites that review these things do so from a very biased perspective!

First, consider a few things. The 8800GT does far better today than when it first came out compared to the 9600GT. That's likely due to better drivers, and it's only going to get better as time goes by! Also consider what's missing with the 9600GT. Those 20 Shader Processors can't be added later! As games make more and more use out of the hardware, the 9600GT will start to fall behind and doesn't have the hardware in it to catch up, which makes the 8800GT more future proof to my mind's eye, anyway!

Another thing is that both the GigaByte 256MB and 512MB 8800GTs are considered to be the best value of the lowest priced 8800GTs, and nVidia approved GigaByte's in-house designed board.

My logic? I think you and Sam both misunderstood what I wrote! The specs quoted were the facts! I even checked with GigaByte to be sure! This isn't like a Power supply that makes outrageous claims of efficiency, but the actual hardware differences between the 8800GT and the 9600GT. That's what I was trying to point out! In the end, I think the 9600GT will come up short, as it will run out of resources first! Resources, that the 8800GT has about 20% more of! That's my Logic! It's also why I think the 8800GT is the better card in the long run!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

got a question for you sam.seeing your the noise expert here..lol

how/where do you find the sites that tell you the sound decibels for the different products?
    ive been looking for the noise Db for different PSU's and cant find them anywhere... i know you have supplied alot of info on noise. i know you cant have every product we have talked about in here to know first hand(and im not pickin on ya either) so where do you find this info? i want to know so i can use it myself..lol

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 9600GT has twice as much memory. As far as I'm concerned, that wins it the resource war. You can trust me on this, unless you use resolutions lower than 1280x1024 you WILL eventually need more than 256MB of RAM. Try and anti-alias Crysis at 1680x1050 and you need 640!

Rob: SilentPCreview. Russ may hate them, but they carry out by far the most scientifically accurate measurements of noise for products. Manufacturers' claims are usually BS. What is it you want to find the noise level of?

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

His brain!! It's on FULL TILT since UPS sent him thru the roof... hehehe. :p

rob which psu are you looking at?? lol. I know all of will go nuts with suggestions but hey that's what we're here for!! :p

....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the corsair 620/650
    coolermaster realpower 750w
    ocz 750w i think it is.

them 4 are on the top of my list... most are in the same price range.qaulity seems to be pretty close.. so the quietest one will win..lol

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm NOT 100% sure but I would think the HX-620 would win out in that contest. If you can find the results for the tests I'd be curious to see them. I looked up the CM 750W Pro and didn't find a "rating" for the fan... hmmmmmmmm.

I think there's some "heck-o-deals" on a couple of those psu's. ;) Hit the dang buy button you teaser!!! :p

.....gm

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ, you have to think of the archetecture of the GPU aswell.

the G94s have a more refined archetecture, thats been heavily optimised for games, so even with half the SPs, it will destory the 8800GT 256.

secondly, if nearly ALL tests of the whole of the net agree witht he 9600GT beating the 8800GT 256, then where does the bias come in?

were all the sites biased then?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

the corsair PSU's are going to be the quietest of the bunch. other things to consider is the warranty and MTBF. 5 years and 100,000 hrs on the corsairs. the 620HX is actually capable of 740 watts and the 650TX is actually capable of 780 watts. they use 105 degree rated industrial capacitors as opposed to only 85 degree capacitors that most other manufactures use.

one more time. here are a couple good reviews on the 620HX and the 650TX http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371/1 http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=22517&PageId=0

it's your money but there's no debating which brand I would go with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.