1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I think I've got my case fan configuration all sorted out.

[​IMG]

time to start playing with OC.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rough noise levels:
    Corsair HX units (520,620): 22dB up to 350W, 30dB at 400W, 40dB at 450W+
    Corsair VX units (450,550): 22dB up to 250W, 30dB at 300W, 40dB at 350W+
    Corsair TX units (650,750): 22dB up to 250W, 27dB at 300W, 40dB at 400W+
    OCZ GameXStreams (600+): 35dB or so continuous
    Coolermaster RealPower: 30dB or so up to 200W, 45dB+ above 200-250W.
    Thermaltake Toughpower: 25dB up to 250W, 32dB at 300W, 45dB 350W+

On the same scale, 140mm Aerocool Streamliner fan at full speed: 25dB, Scythe SFF21F at full speed 32dB, Antec Tricool fan on high, 38dB.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It's true that the memory size is doubled, but it's interface is still only 192 bit. All I'm saying is that the 9600GT isn't going to get a lot better than it already is as it's stretched pretty thin right now, whereas the 8800GT will improve and benefit from the additional hardware and wider memory interface in the future. I may just spend the extra $40 and get the 512MB version and settle the whole issue! I know it's what I should do! Have to see how the dollars stretch! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sold to the lady in red in the second row. opps wrong song..lol

nicer eading mort. this will be my next PSU.
    now if all them modular cables dont scare me..lol

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Welllll, I went ahead and got the ONE gigabyte version and I finally broke 14k in 3Dmark!!!

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

START SPEADING THE NEWS!!!!!!
    UP-fn-S deleivered my mobo about 40 mins ago... imagine that..lol

now im stuck here at work for another 2 1/2 hours....im gonna scream!!!!!lmao

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ahhhhh, you poor little boy!!!! oh well better you then me.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ha ha ha very funny... ill send my work your way..lol. to tired anyway. wont mess with it when i get home other than look and see what they done to it...

9. ddp

the more the better especially when i finish my new u shaped work bench. i'll be able to do more then 1 computer at a time like presently.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Originall posted by sammorris:
    Rob,
    I don't hate SilentPCreview! It's just that some of their results and mine have differed considerably in the past. They don't like ball bearing fans and they particularly don't like Silverstone ones apparently, as they were way off the mark when testing them. I have a certain amount of access to an Anechoic Chamber at my work and my figures and theirs differ greatly! They are much quieter than SilentPCreview says they are. They also say that some fans are a lot quieter than they really are as well. They don't use a sound chamber, so I do question their methods. Ambient noise levels are much higher than any of the fans, so I don't see how they can accurately measure sound levels without a sound chamber! Even a sound chamber isn't dead silent, but it's always quieter than what's being tested! You can screen out some noise, but you will always wind up with 15-17 dBA. Bear in mind that the walls and door of the sound chamber are about a foot thick and lined with solid blocks of acoustic foam!

With my 80mm Silverstone, I even ran it attached to the cover when it was tested. Talk about a sound board! LOL!! Another thing I don't like about them is when a fan fails their tests, they don't give you the information, they just say it failed, or at best say louder than xx dBA!

It's ironic, isn't it that in my work I have to be very knowledgeable about Airflow Characteristics and sound! LOL!! Only I deal with 400,000+ rpms, and about 65 dBA of noise. My job is basically is to design air turbines that run as fast as they can above 400,000 rpms, that run as quiet as 65 dBA, and make them live long enough to be a practical design! I get to see both ends of it too because I repair a couple of thousand Dental Handpieces a year, so I get to physically test some of my own designs or improvements to someone else's design, first hand. Neat!

Next time you go to the Dentist, take a closer look at the drill! At the very top of it there is a round cylinder, the part that goes in your mouth. What I work on is inside that tiny cylinder! Bet you didn't realize that the drill spins 400,000+, did you? My personal record is 562,000 rpm! The noise it made, cleared a whole room full of Women out in about 10 seconds! LOL!! 97 dBA! At that high an rpm and making that much noise at that high a frequency you could break glass! LOL!! Never mind what it would do to your hearing! The design wasn't a success! ROFL!! Actually it turned out to be a success anyway. The turbine stayed together at that speed! The problem is Physics. The vanes on the turbine are breaking the sound barrier! I got the turbine design strong enough not to break, but it made this horrible scream doing it! Makes the job fun! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    And I heard that you couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time! Guess I heard wrong! ROFLMAO!! :)

Just Funnin with ya,
    Russ

12. ddp

shouldn't fun with a mod as you might get hit with a stray bolt of lightning. got to keep in practice.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thought I would post my official 3DMark Score.

15057 3DMarks

I'm gonna try playing with the OC a little bit to see what happens.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

running comfortably at 3.6ghz. the cpu and mobo temps have not increased a single degree (according to everest ultimate edition). my ram is running at 1066 (533 x 2) exactly on the 400mhz strap. my cpu vcore is at 1.248v. not even a hint of a BSOD or reboot. I luv this mobo. be even better when/if I figure out all the advanced settings/features. gonna run orthos for a while now.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Start with CincyRob!!! He won't need to post for at least a day with the NEW build. hehehe. :p j/k rob 'o' boy!!! :D

theone,
    Neat job you have there buddy. ;) I see why you are able to "test" these fans now. :D

sam,
    thanks for "finding" the info on those psu's..... ;)

Morty,
    Like we didn't know which psu you would choose. :p /me likes it too!! You get a PM from the Doctor??

Robert do the rain dance but don't forget to put the "anti-lightening" shuffle in there too...... hehehe.

....gm

16. ddp

gm, how is doc ty?

17. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Mine arrived about 430PM this afternoon...been up and running for several hours now, just letting occt do it's thing for a while.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cpu-z at 3.6ghz:

[​IMG]

temps at 3.6 while running orthos, 100% load, both cores:

[​IMG]

I plan on leaving it here for a few weeks then bump her up to 4.0ghz.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Busy as always. You know his business, lots of people need a GOOD doctor and he's that. ;) Hasn't been doing much on the "dvd" front since his time is so full with other things but he's been playing around with his puters as usual. lol. He's even talking about a new build maybe later this year but I think he will either use the X38 or X48 depending on some of the results these fine fellas get!!! :D

How is ddp?? I like the idea of the "U" shaped work bench... smart....

....gm

Hope my update about docTY is ok with all.... especially the fine Doctor. ;)

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morty if you don't mind try Core Temp and see what it says. ;) Nice little progie and it seems to do a fine job.

Nice temps under load but (sorry I has questions...) why are your "idle" temps as high as they are?? I would think you would run in the mid to high 30's not the 40's. Just an observation... :D

...gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.