1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i'm fine & somewhat busy with computers. & you?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you must have missed this post I made earlier. ambient temp is 74F.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Me thinks he'll put the whole thing back together and'll be posting 'till 4AM as to the status of his work. My first build came after working 12 hours and getting home to find the box sitting on the kitchen table with a note from my daughter asking how soon she could play with her "new computer". Needless to say at about 3AM it was sitting outside her room ready to be plugged in and turned on later on Saturday morning when she got up.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

@ddp,
    fine thanks.... Busy as well with work and the 3 kiddies.... :D

@Morty,
    I did miss the post about the ambient temp. ;) How much "better" do you think your temps will become with some "burn in" time?

...gm

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

welp im home now. and to my disbeleif. i open the box and theres a new gigabyte box///holy cow....

but pulling the mobo oit of the box it looked different... so i looked at the box again.. i dont have a GA-P35-DS3R...

I got a GA-P35-DS3L....WTF????????????

im packin it up and its going back....gonna call them in the morning and find out whats going on????

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob just in case someone used the wrong box... check on the mobo itself and make sure it says "P35-DS3L" and NOT "P35-DS3R" .... just in case ...

.....gm

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

I haven't compared all the differences but the DSR costs $50 more than the DSL. I would assume it is a better mobo.

gm,

I'm very content with my temps now. they will probably drop another 3-4 degrees after burn in. why do they look too high to you. their a whole lot better than my E6600 was. I don't expect the cpu temp will be much if any over low 50's under full load at 4.0ghz. what are are your temps at 3.6ghz?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    You got it twisted! LOL He said that he got a DS3L and NOT the DS3R he was waiting for! First check for me would be to check the model number on the MB! Last MB they shipped me was in a P4 Titan box! I almost had a heart attack when I saw that! LOL!! Inside there was a new Rev. 2.0 DS3R!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

gm,

core temp says my core temps are 36C and 41C idle and 46C under full load with orthos running. 9C cooler under full load. that's even better. I'm not sure which proggy to believe.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort if your going 4GHz so I'm I lol !!

and Robert your having all kinds of trouble huh. it would only happen to you , why?

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

actually I'm gonna shoot for 4.2ghz eventually with 2gb of ram. if I can accomplish that stable, then I'm going to add another 2gb of ram and then shoot for 4.0ghz stable.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

gm,

I can't read the 1st one or last one. everest I think. btw the core temps should be higher than the cpu temp..............

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

do you mean 4.4GHz stable?, I'm going with 4gb of ram off the bat

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no. it is harder to achieve as high of OC with 4gb ram (all slots full).

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

looks like it would be the other way around but ok i didn't know that

windows only sees 3gb but they sell it in 2gb kits

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15000 vs 11k is a significant boost, I'll bear that in mind, and with 1GB of memory you can yank the resolution right up..
    Trouble is, it looks like once again my issues with crossfire are faulty hardware. If the memory on my second 3870 gets above stone cold it artifacts and crashes. Do I put RAMsinks on, or do I replace the card again?

THeone: I can tell you now, there's nothing I've ever tested that's got anywhere near as low as 17dB, so that ambient noise level isn't going to affect the accuracy of their tests. The issue with silentpcreview, is that they do just that, they want silence - not very quiet, but silent. I don't need that, and very few people except those perhaps in a recording studio do. As such, they will moan about even the slightest noise. They do, however, make a good point about ball bearing fans, particularly 120mm ones, 80mms are nowhere near as bad. I can still hear the FM121 no matter how low I take the rpm because the blade assembly hisses as it turns round. If I'm close enough to my PC, that annoys me, so those fans rightfully fail the silence test!
    Indeed, I'm using an FM121 currently to blast obscene amounts of air over my faulty second 3870 to keep it cool enough, and even at 700rpm (below the minimum speed I believe - by the way all of my 3.5" bay fan controllers for those fans have stopped working) there's a definite roar that's irritating and I have to cut the speed back even further - note that this noise is audible over a Raptor HDD sat outside the case, a crummy 2500rpm graphics cooler and a Hiper PSU at a higher-than-it-really-should-be speed. For a fan pushing that little air to be audible above that lot, what can I say.
    Greensman: The info is from SPCR with the exception of the OCZ and the Toughpower which I've estimated from hearing the relevant units compared to the ones SPCR have reviewed.
    Rob: I agree with the others, check inside the box!

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam, although the 1GB ram will let one ramp up the res and AA/AF to max, the 256bit interface will bottleneck it.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know, but even so there are occasions where the 8800GT could have done much better with more RAM, so that should still semi-solve those issues.

20. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I think coretemp is designed more with the C2D chips in mind...I would trust it above the rest.
    yours is on their list too:

By the way...I'm back up and running.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/571061/3965327

I'll be playing today and the Pio 215D should be here today too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.