1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Russ. ;)

Here's a linky for ya. I know you could of done it yourself but I've been looking at some AMD chips for my "other" 939 mobo and saw these crawling around. lol. ;)

link to AM2 (X2 and Dual Core cpus)

Happy Hunting.......

....gm

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well the big red machine ran 23+ hrs at stock settings, nothing went wrong. i shut it down repowered it up no problems. im gonna leave it at stock until sunday. then take it up to 3.4ghz and leave it there until get my new PSU..
    i have my vcore still set at 1.225v(factory setting) but when i check CPUz and evertest it shows it at like 1.168v. when i do take it up to 3.4ghz im gonna leave it at stock and see how it does.

when running orthos my temps got up to 66c. right now running dvd-reb the cpu is at 82% and temps are 60c.
    my temp in the house right now is 75f.and where the tower is is prolly 80f. i gotta get me a internet connectio downstairs. t is about 25* cooler down there...

3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Thats quite a vdroop on the Cpu vcore - mine is showing as 1.2V (set at 1.23750). Why dont you leave it at stock until you get the new PSU just to be on the safe side?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

when you say temps I assume you are refering to core temps. that's too hot at stock for my liking.

OC'ed to 3.6ghz under 100% load while running OCCT, my core temps got up to 47c (according to core temp) or 55c (ocording to everest). cpu got up to 44c and mobo was 30c (according to everest). that was all at 72-73f ambient temp.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh thats just it im not gonna take it up any. even when i take u the cpu to 3.4ghz i think it will be fine at stock vcore settings..

i think i might need to mess with my fans some. i have the 2 140mm fans on top as exhaust. 1 is controlled by the mobo and the other is running at full tilt being pluged right into the psu. thinking of plugging both into the psu and then the other fan on the side panel as intake plugging it into the mobo also.

its odd. when i had my cpu in bigwills rigit was 10c cooler.

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Mort what CPU you running again?

66c is quite high for the E8xxx chips at stock true - I concentrated on the first half of Robs post lol - mine at 400FSB hasnt hit 60 under load since the first few days of use - now seems to top out at about 57-59c. One thing to remember though Mort is every temp Ive seen for the E8xxx's has been higher than expected and the cores are usually a good 20c higher than the CPU temp reading (this is the same for me in both everest and coretemp).

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/lotsoftemps.jpg

Above shows OCCT, Coretemp and Everest all basically displaying the same stats for my PC.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

as promised, here's some pics after everything is nice n neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post some pics later with all the panels on.

I can't stand it. after lunch, I'm bumping her up to 4.0ghz.

8. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

I meant leave the whole thing at stock - speed included until the new PSU comes.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm running an E3110 and it is also currently at 400mhz. I guess I need to update my sig.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@pepp
    so your at 60c underload now? right now with dvd-reb running my temps are 60c on each core. the cpu is at 41c.

OCCT?????hmmmm gonna have to look this one up. i dont have that.lol

@mort
    how log did ya leave it at stock before you started to OC it?i might not be able to wait till sunday..lol

11. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Yep that pic was captured as I was typing my previous post - had only had it running for a few mins - but it doesnt get any hotter after 50 mins than it does after 5mins or 5 hours.

Saying that though I was getting 65-68c under load when I first installed it - partly due to auto settings on the vcore and partly down to new thermal paste.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/25mins.jpg

Ive got a question for you guys, am I better off running my ram at

400Mhz - 4-4-4-12 with a 2T command rate(CR) or
    400Mhz - 5-5-5-15 with a 1T command rate(CR)

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@pepp
    im kinda curious about my AS5 paste. when i bought it, it had looked as if it was 20 years old..lol when i put my cpu in bigwills rig we used his AS5 and got the cooler temps. i wonder if my paste is on the downside? i do have the thermal paste intel sent me i could try.

but i think i will switch around my fans and even take my rig downstairs and use it. wont have internet to it but i got a flash drive i can save my scans to and post with my HP system.

13. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Firstly - congrats on the addict status ;)

Secondly - Ive never used AS5 or applied thermal paste - the only heatsink Ive ever installed is the FP7 im currenly using and that had the silver stuff on the heatsink when I got it, so was just plug and play so I cant help there Im afraid - but it could be a crap batch.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob I doubt it's a "crap batch"... lol. AS5 isn't the prettiest stuff in the world but it works well. You might give that Intel stuff a try and see what it does with your cooler. You clean that baby with ALCOHOL after each removal and such don't you? lol. How do you have the cooler mounted in the case and I'm assuming you have the fan connected to the cpu_header so the mobo can control the fan for you. ;)

PM rob, I have an idea but I think it needs to be addressed in a PM. lol. I'm crazy like that. :p

....gm

15. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Now Im curious lol

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey thanks pepp. oh you need to get to play with the AS5 its some fun stuff.
    @gm
    yes i got the cooler pluged into the cpu control on mobo. its whriling around at 1854rpms right now..lol

pm me with the idea.

17. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

While everything is running smoothly, no crashes or blue screens or hangs in the month and a half or so the PC has been running pretty much 24/7 (touches every bit of wood near by) I am not going to start taking it apart to play with some AS5 lol.

Ive got to open it up soon anyway (and thats enough) to try out a new fan and install some extra ram I was given by a mate, its the same as I already have so will be upto 4 gig even though Im using xp home so wont get the full amount I thought I might as well install it.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems like sound logic, but be advised it's not modular, so prepare for mountains of cables to try and hide!
    NINE days? wow, that's harsh. Still, order something on the thursday before easter and even with next day delivery it wouldn't arrive until the wednesday, but that's a special case I suppose.

Just thought I'd add a note here to signify that I've stopped recommending the HD3870 and HD3850 graphics cards, and will now solely be advising nvidia products in the high end sector. I've been using the cards for a while and recommending them on the basis that the issues I had were easily fixed, but they aren't. I'm sick of the card really, the software is terrible, the coolers are dire and the customer support is non-existent. I sincerely hope the 4870 is better.

20. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Sam just out of curiosity have you tried the new 8.4 catalyst and drivers that were released two days ago?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.