1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

@Pepp, here is what the corsair memory configurator recommends for your mobo and memory. 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.1v. that's what I was going to suggest too.

@Rob, I wouldn't even mess with the thermal compound intel sent ya. maybe try some new AS5 or some TR chill factor. I know you don't want to hear this but since you intend on OC'ing I would suggest upgrading your cpu hsf one of these days. of course I recommend the TR ultra 120 extreme and the ultra 120 but I have also read good things about the OCZ Vendetta on a side note, did you notice how neat my case cabling is using the 620HX with modular cabling. only used what I needed. didn't have to tie up all those unused cables :) :)

@sam, my HD3850 is performing superbly. now I do realize that I'm not running in xfire or trying to OC it. what kind of problems are you having?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

The $43 didn't have anything to do with it did it? :D You got a great psu rob and it'll serve you for years to come. btw the longest that "free shipping" from buy.com has taken for me is 3 business days. I ordered some mP3 players from them on Tuesday at midnight or so and they arrived at the house on Friday of the same week BEFORE Easter no less. :D So my guess is Wednesday for your psu but DON'T hold me to that. lol.

Good luck...

....gm

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have, and they achieved nowt. They fixed the problem with 8.3 of 3dmark scores being crap, but apart from that the issues are all still present.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yes, I agree. about the longest it took for me with their free shipping was 5 days and that included the weekend.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting. Ebuyer's 5 day delivery can be like that sometimes as well. What's interesting is that I'm pretty sure ebuyer had a US site too, but you never hear of it on aD.

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

It only lasted a couple of years - closed in 2006 I believe.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? I assumed Ebuyer was an american company come to the UK not the reverse... But yeah that makes sense seeing as I don't see the links any more. Shame because ebuyer always used to be a rather mediocre store, but they're much better now.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM & Sam,
    Thanks for the links. I've got it down to 3 choices, all between 66 and $70! I'm considering the new 65nm 4050E @ 2.1GHz, The 4600x2 @2.6GHz and an Opteron 1210 @1.8GHz. The Opty is 103W and has 2x1MB of L2 cache. It's also supposed to come with AMD's heatpipe cooler. Since I can't overclock it, I may well be better off with the 4600x2 at 2.6GHz. If I could OC, the choice would be the Opteron 1210!

I'm going to live with it for a while as I have XP installed on a different drive. I figured that it would save losing the warranty if it did mess up as I still have everything on the Original HDD. once I'm satisfied that it all works well, I'll wipe the drive and install XP-Pro on it and the hell with the warranty! It is strange that they gave me another year on the warranty, as long as I don't install XP on it! LOL!!

Still, it runs great, but a tad slow with the stock 2GHz Sempron! Everything works as it's supposed to, so I'll play with it for a while and see what happens. Thanks again for the links, guys!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well yea that had a BIG part in it..lol
    plus it is a little bigger ,and the link mort posted said the 620/650 was really closer to 740w's so i should be golden then.... im not to concerned about it not being modular. i could really careless as long as it all works wheni get it together..lol

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

some pics of final product. you can rest easy, these should be my last pics for a while. my hand is too shakey for no flash (to reveal red led's better). one of these days I'll tie up and straighten up the wires/cables behind the table :)

top/front
    [​IMG]

front
    [​IMG]

front w/door open
    [​IMG]

left side
    [​IMG]

time for that attempt at 4.0ghz now.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

MORT that looks sweet. i have to say that evo looks good in sliver with the RED fans..lol

but just looking around the house there...your getting a little low on media arent ya...???? lmao

hopefully this time next week you wont be the only one shooting for 4.0 either...i know without a doubt once i get my new PSU im going for 3.6ghz first get that stable which i shouldnt have a problem doing now that i got my mobo fixed. like you i have the 1066 mem(but i honestly beleive this crucial mem sucks, i might be wrong)

ZOSO you gunnin for 4.0ghz also????
    GM you got 2 shots at the 4.0(i dont know if the quad will get it) but id say the E6850 should....you might have to put the E6850 on that Striker board...lol

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe that is a fine looking Stacker Mort, wow they look better IRL than the pictures. Incidentally Rob, I found a red cold cathode I had lying around, I may hook it up to my server to make it even redder! lol

13. tripplite

tripplite Guest

Mort81 that looks beautiful;) looks like you got a lot of wires tangled up on one power strip? might want to think about getting a heavy duty surge protector for your investment?

[​IMG]
    maybe something more modern though?

-tripplite

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

thank you for all the kind complements gentlemen. I know not everybody likes stackers.

Rob, I've got more media in the other room :)

tripp, I've got to have 8 outlets. what I really need is about a 500 watt UPS.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Sam Said:
    When I saw your pictures, I had no idea what the case was! It's far better looking than the ad pics! Very nice!

Enjoy (I know you will! LOL!!),
    Russ

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is pretty sick. If only the 8800GT came with a good dual slot cooler.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got a email from buy.com. my PSU was shipped out today with FED-EX not UPS*UCKS...i should get it tuesday the 22nd. sweet it is...lol

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I just noticed that the surge protector tripplite suggested says Tripp Lite on it.

lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.