1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

changed my mind. I'm going to order a cooler master Y720CCD-25K1-GP 9 blade 120mm 110 cfm fan with mini 4 pin connector w/ temp sensing. just a hair quieter at max (according to specs) and just a hair more cfm than the silverstone. few dollars cheaper too.

sam, just for the heck of it, plug this cm and the silverstone FM123 into your dBA guide and see what it says please, if you don't mind. you know I'm not a silent freak but I'm just curious. thanks.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

get a delta morty, its sams favourite fan :p

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha - noise and pointlessness assured! I think someone did a test once and found that with most heatsinks that took 120mm fans, any more than 80CFM didn't affect the temperatures.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah I think that's probably right but it sure won't hurt to have a little more umph to play with. I can then adjust the fan speed to where it is most efficient. I can't even feel any air coming through my "TRUE" even though the scyth SFF21F is rated at 63.7 cfm @ 1600 rpm. mine's turning at 1534 rpm.

I'm going to have so many extra case fans (oem's, take-offs) that I could build another complete run-of-the-mill pc and have fans to spare. almost all cm oem fans, some even blue led. Rob, you need a fan or two?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, I can feel the air moving through mine with the same fan but the LED version at only 750rpm...

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morty.... You got that fan facing the correct direction?? hehehe. Just had to ask. :D

Morty I can send you one of these Streamliner 140's if you like. :D Good air flow and very little noise. :p

ON the other hand I can send you one of the turbo eXtreme 120's and see how long it takes you to control that baby with something other than the mobo. :p LOTS of air but a little on the LOUD side.

Good to hear almost everyone is enjoying their new puters. :D

....gm

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

thanks gm but just got done ordering the 9 blade 110 cfm cooler master.

hehe you know I even have to wonder that myself now, although I'm 99.9% sure it is. I know I could feel air around the outside of the fan on the intake side but I just figured that was wash over from the blades. I'll double check when I install the new fan ;)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heh, I'm still enjoying my existing computer thanks! :)

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hmm, I just read in another form about using a 2 fan (scythe s-flex) push pull configuration with a TRUE. lowered the temps an additional 3-5c. theoretically a fan with more cfm should accomplish similiar results.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm thinking better results - in the traditional config the 'pull fan' will be far too close to the rear case fan and could possibly be detrimental to the cause.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    What color is the thermal paste? If it's grey or silver it ain't MX-2! MX-2 looks like white enamel glossy paint! Almost looks like Ceramique except it's thinner and should be applied to both surfaces so that it has a direct bond on both surfaces!

On another note! I installed XP-Pro on the eMachine's Sata drive! The hell with the warranty! LOL!! First thing I noticed is that it's a much faster running computer now. I mean noticeably faster by a wide margin. I even looked up the WD 120 Sata drive that's in it and it only has an 8MB Cache! It's faster with the 512 single channel 667 memory than it was when I first converted it using the G.Skill 2GB 800 dual channel in it! I originally had it running on a year old WD 40GB IDE when I converted from Vista. I'm ordering the 4450E 2.3GHz 64x2 CPU, The Thermaltake PSU and 2 sticks of G.Skill 1066 memory for mine on Tuesday. I was going to get the Corsair Dominators, but I've heard some complaints about their choice of memory chips, and the G.Skill has a better rating in all the reviews I've looked at. Besides, it's cheaper! LOL!! It should be a very worthy replacement for the D-940, although now I have a brand new D-940 in the box with cooler I have to move along. Shouldn't be a problem as I'll use it for something. Either an upgrade for a Celeron or P4, or maybe just put together a new machine with it to sell! I also have an AF7-Pro for it as I can't use that on the AM-2!

I've confirmed that the MB is made by Foxconn. They have no drivers posted for it on their site, but do have bios updates! Doesn't matter as I've got all the drivers installed and everything works perfectly. No yellow question marks in the device manager! Success Rears it's Ugly Head! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What can I say Russ, I'm not surprised. On anything short of a beast of a machine XP will always run much better.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It was bog slow with the IDE drive and more memory and now with the WD Sata it's just so much faster. I just never realized just how much faster the Sata 3.0 drives are! I haven't tried the 2GB in it with this drive but it should be a pretty quick machine with an 4450E in it and the better memory installed. I am changing the PS because that's the eMachine's/Gateway's weakest link! They are crap! I can't tell you how many I've had to replace components on because the PS blew up. motherboards, memory, CPUs, you name it. I had one recently that blew out everything but the Floppy Drive and fans! LOL!! The 12v dead shorted across the 5v line! not the right way to "up the voltage"! ROFL

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know, I've heard - the emachines PSUs really are crepe. It's pleasing to know that at least the rest of the systems are sound though.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&data=2&disc=

mx-2/mx-1

the newer batches have mx-2

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    I see that in the specs you linked to. Thanks, I didn't know that! The best way to install it is to get some additional MX-2 and paint a thin coating on the CPU first. This assures that the MX-2 is bonded to both surfaces and cuts down on the chance of air bubbles.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? I thought applying to both surfaces was frowned upon... perhaps it's different with MX-2s. The number of systems you've built with Freezers though, you're the man to ask!

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so the MX-2 is better than AS5? where can i get some?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I wish I still had the link, but it was a response from the manufacturer in one of the forums I came across, Newegg or another seller after I found that article on the MX-2. Part of the reason is that it's 100% non-conductive and some extra won't do any harm, but also Arctic discovered that if you coat both surfaces it makes sure that the MX-2 has surface contact all around. Air bubbles are less likely to cause problems too! I do the same thing with Ceramique! I just put it on the Sempron and the temps dropped 6C, and it still needs to cure. The 45 watt 4450E should run real cool in this thing!

I also discovered a temp I never heard of before (0 AM-2 experience), MCP which was 59C. I did a little research on the net and it's the NB temp. It has a low profile heat sink on it so I added a 50mm fan to it and the MCP temp dropped 21C. I tried a 40mm but it didn't do a very good job. More noise than airflow! The 50mm overhangs the heat sink at the bottom about .25", but it does work well. 38C is still a far cry from 59C! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.