1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The DS3L is the low cost version, and the DS3R The high grade. The differences aren't really great as far as how they perform and overclock, though the DS3R gets a bigger chipset heatsink. You're mainly looking at extra USB/SATA ports I think.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I never said it like that. I said clock for clock the Q6600 will perform better because of the extra cache. Never said it will perform MUCH better did it? ;)

Also a note to all you guys, I don't think I can keep it at 3.6Ghz much longer. Temps go up to about 64 Degrees in COD 4. That's HOT! So if you plan on getting a Q6600 and OCing it then invest in better cooling than mine(Freezer 7 Pro). I'll try lapping the CPU and the Heatsink to see how much I can improve. I know it's going to void the warranty BTW.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, I'm amazed you've got as far as you have. At full fan speed, I was getting close to 50 degrees even with my Duo when I pushed it hard. Rather than risk lapping your lovely Quad, why not just invest in a big-ass cooler?

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i wouldnt give 10cents for the GA-P35-DS3R. THATS just me and the bad luck ive ahd with mine

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My P35C-DS3R was fine, and I believe that's the same board with DDR3 slots added...

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That big Ass cooler is 70 bucks. I don't think my Quad is gonne mess up. I'll see how it goes. Right now some guy might buy this computer off me, except for the video card and case. I will replace those with other ones. With that I might be able to buy a new Quad from ebay and manage to get a TRUE as you guys put it.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW don't go there yet. lol. Wait until you get the new psu installed and then see what happens. If it's the mobo, Gigabyte will make it right.... ;)

Just saw your sig. ROFL.... In limbo is ye rob??? If the mobo messes up again you might push them to replace it completely and if it happens again then insist on a mobo upgrade!!!! The DS3P comes to mind. :D

good luck buddy!!!!

....gm

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I mean honestly I don't care about noise much as long as it pushes a lot of air. I keep my video card fan on 100 percent.

So the cooler is about 50 bucks and the fan about 10. Not to mention that fact that it's back ordered.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Either way, if you want an overclocked Quad core to run cool, you need to not skimp on the cooler. Lapping the freezer 7 pro and your heatspreader will give you better results, but I can't help but think a TRUE (especially if you lap that) or similar will do far better.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

BOOZER,
    Here's some places to spend yo cash!! :p

go here and scroll down to the bottom.... TR stuff galore!!! Anyone know about the Ultima series?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

at the HSF TR goodies....

There's a few other places but some are out of stock and I'm sure there might be some Out of Stock pieces here too. Take a look for those in the states....

...gm

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe, performance-PCs is a great website, and there's a guy in the UK who imports some of their stuff, so it may still prove useful for me too.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I know. I hear that the TRUE base was kinda crooked so it's recommended to Lap it anyway.

Sam, what cooler do you use?

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh BTW guys, what about the Ultima 90?

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

AT THIS POINT im ready to load it all up in my truck with my fishin poles and go to the mighty ohio river and toss it all in. set back and catch me a big azz blue cat and drink some budweisers and forget about puters...

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just don't have it plugged in when you do. lol. You might catch more fish than you intended. hehehee. :p

I really think you might achieve "better" stability with the NEW psu. If not, and you have the same issues then it's either the RAM or MOBO. Well assuming your testing hasn't already affected the cpu. (don't take that the wrong way, faulty equipment effects other components, you know that)

I still say if you have issues you might see about testing the RAM again (if you can) and then do some more tests on the mobo. :D

Try either

SiSoft Sandra

PassMark BIT

I'm not sure how well these will test your mobo. I've actually used both but for testing RAM and cpu. ;) Sorry not very helpful as usual... lol.

.....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i tried sandra when i first got it together.. i got the same error as before.. ive never been able to get it stable with sandra???who knows??

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob that says something. I've got mine stable with all the progies that I could think of including Sandra. :) Maybe the psu isn't supplying the "right" power or something. Just give the NEW PSU a go when it comes in.

again good luck buddy.......

..gm

edit: psu NOT cpu........ lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

abuzar,

here is where I got my TRUE. best price I could find after searching for several hours. $54.99 and if you order a Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan at the same time you can get the fan for $12.99. shipping was only $6.13.

I'm going to replace my scythe fan with a cooler master 9 blade 110 cfm fan http://www.svc.com/y720ccd-25k1-gp.html I talked with DocTY and he replaced his scythe with a silverstone FM121 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999344 it has lugs that go clear through the mounting holes and he had to cut out the lugs in order for the fan clip on the TRUE to work. he said it lowered his temps 5-6c.

a silverstone FM123 should work without having to do any modification. but as I stated I opted for the cm 9 blade 110 cfm fan with mini 4 pin connector w/ thermal sensor. good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Them's fighting words! LOL!! The GA-P35-DS3R is an excellent MB! Why you are having problems, I don't know. Far too many folks out there have had no problems at all with the DS3R and overclocking for anyone to consider it a bad MB, myself included, so you're not being fair! You already know that you have a poor quality PS, yet you continued to press on in spite of that knowledge. How do you know that you already haven't hurt something in the MB? I can tell you first hand what unstable voltage can do to a MB. I learned my lesson like a lot of us here have, the hard way! I roached both my CPU and MB because of a crappy PS. Actually, to be completely fair, it wasn't the PSUs fault, it was mine for buyiing it in the first place! That's precisely why I'm getting another Thermaltake W0093 500w PSU for the eMachine, before I upgrade the CPU and memory in it! I already know that the one that's in it is junk, so why would I want to upgrade just the CPU and memory knowing that!

I often buy components months in advance, shopping sales, and I wait until I have all the right goodies to do the build. I resist the temptation to put it together until I have everything I need to do it once and do it right! I suspect that's the reason I don't have much trouble with my builds or overclocks. One of these days, Abuzar is going to run out of luck and do one of his "just set the fsb at 500MHz" builds, and it's all going to go wrong! Then he'll be screaming what a piece of crap this or that is. LOL!! Just because "Joe Blow" has his running at 4.0GHz, doesn't mean that everyone who buys the exact same thing is going to get to 4.0! Some times components that work well for someone else, just won't work the same for you. I know a guy with an E6750 like mine and all he could get out of it on a high end Asus MB was 3.2GHz. I put his CPU in mine and it runs fine at 3.5GHz. You don't see me saying that the Striker is a bad MB, or that mine is a better board because mine overclocks better. I've run mine with his 1066 memory at 4GHz! The specs for the parts are all the same. It will remain that way unless they figure out how to completely eliminate heat, which isn't going to happen. Some will be on the high end and some will be on the low. It's the luck of the draw. Sometimes the end result doesn't equal the sum of the parts, and there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that all the components aren't working well together when pushed hard. Imagine what sort of computer you would have if all the components were in spec, but all were on the low side! It would run fine as it was designed to work, but it probably wouldn't OC worth a flip!

Take my computer for instance. My memory won't overclock much more than 10% on this MB. I suspect that this has something to do with the higher fsb! The same memory on my 965P-DS3 with the E4300 in it, would easily run all day long at 970MHz! I could well use the same ram with a different CPU and MB and it might OC even better. That doesn't mean that my present MB is bad, it means that both that particular MB and that particular memory just don't work well together. Who knows, maybe both are on the lower end of the specs scale! Sometimes some hardware just doesn't work the way you want it to no matter what you try. Given all the different manufacturers of computer components, it's a wonder that computers work at all. Even more so, when the specs are sometimes less than honest or Like the P5N-E where the manufacturer was in complete denial that there were any problems with it at all for months.

If I was you I would wait until after your new PS comes in, Do a fresh install of your OS and if it still doesn't work right, call and ask to speak to Maggie at GigaByte and insist that they replace your MB, explaining why. She's a very reasonable person so I'm sure there will be no problem doing that. You've already exchanged the original CPU so it's more than likely not the problem. The MB is doing the same thing as before, so I would borrow a friends memory and try that. Something with your set-up has a problem, but it's going to take the new PS to be able to help narrow down what that problem is being caused by.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.