1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morty are you gonna "control" that fan thru the i/o panel? I don't think that's a PWM fan. I have 2 of them and I don't remember the ability for the mobo to control the fan. I've been wrong before and I prolly am now. lol. It does move a lot of air and it's NOT that loud for what it does. They're not BS'in either when they say silent mode, it's very quiet in that mode. NOT much air tho.... lol.

good luck with that!!

...gm

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha, Russ, I'm actually trying to stop doing that. Next time I build a computer I'll be burning it in at stock settings first!

Anyway, I will have to save up for a bit before I buy that 75 dollar combo of fan and TRUE. I just bought a rifle and it set me back 200, so money is kinda running low. Plus I have to buy a new stock for the aforementioned rifle.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't know yet. I'll control it through the mobo if it will let me. if not, I'll use the controller.

the fan settings with this mobo are awesome. this entire mobo is awesome. it has 7 fan connectors (8 if you include the cpu fan) 3 of which you can set from 60-90% and 3 of which you can set from 70-90%. there are 3 speed settings for the cpu fan (silent, optimal or performance). it can also be thermally controlled at which you can determine the temp you want it to maintain. the remaining 1 fan connector can not be controlled through the mobo.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    the only reason i kinda think its the mobo, i might be wrong in looking at it like this,but i took my cpu and mem out and put it/them on a GA-EP35C-DS3R and they ran fine. the only thing different was the board and PSU. i got the new CPU and installed it and the same thing happened. i get the new mobo it workd for 3 days after i got it back with a repaired CPU socket. they said it was damaged. damaged how i dont know. was the damage from the CPU or physical damage????

this last time when i got the mobo back i didnt even try to OC anything left it all stock....

hell i hope like hell its the PSU, i should have my new one in the morning some time, ill install it and cross my fingers it fires up and all is well... if not then another 2 1/2 weeks of no mobo... and ill try and talk to Maggie if i need to. ive allready email'd gigabyte about the problem again they told me once i get the NEW PSU install it and give them a call. so only time will tell.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    If the new PSU doesn't cure the problem, all fingers point to the MB then doesn't it! LOL!! Bear in mind that something like an optical drive or other component could be causing the problem as well. I have had hardware problems that affected the performance on computers before. I don't mean hardware conflicts either, just something wrong in a component. I had a fax modem cause me problems like that once. Damn bear drove me crazy until I pulled everything but the hard drive. I just kept installing things one component at a time until the problem re-occured! Turned out to be a bad Conexant Fax Modem that was somehow causing problems! Hang in there buddy! It'll come right!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use the Thermalright Ultra 120-A, not the extreme version. I get max load temps of c.44C with a 75% overclock on my E4300 and 1.41Vcore, with a 750rpm fan.

Rob: Just bear in mind, dodgy PSUs can actually damage motherboards. When you get a new PSU, if the problems recur, the motherboard may not actually be at fault, but more got damaged by your PSU.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

from what i have seen, its a toss up between the Tuniq tower and the TRUE (when it has a fan)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Like the Silverstone, it comes with it's own controller that allows you to set it manually or automatic. It also comes with 2 mounts for the control. You can choose between a 3.5 "Floppy" bay mount or an L bracket that mounts in an open expansion slot on the back of the computer. It has a 4 pin Molex plug, and a 3 pin fan header plug, so the MB can control it! I put my case fan control on the back as it's basically "set it and forget it"! I have my MB set to PWM fan control, and all my fans that are plugged into the fan headers adjust themselves better than I ever could, doing it manually!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. ldhewlett

ldhewlett Member

Ok lets try this again... evidently i messed up first time.

Howdy :)

I have decided to venture out and try to build my own computer, and i am not sure about the whole set of steps and events.

I have purchased premade computers before from places like compusa and gateway, but they tend to die on my alot. my last 3 computers have had the mobo die on me.

So, my point being, i am not sure what to get or where i should start. i am a gamer, but i dont look for tip of the peak graphics. i just want something that will be able to play games and handle them at decent FPS. for the next couple years. i also do a lot of video and photo editing so i geuss more RAM is a plus.

my budget is Aprox. ~~1200-1300~~USD but depending on the benefits of pushing the budget a hundred or so higher, i can do it.

~dani

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ldhewlett
    Howdy and welcome to AD. your in the right spot to get plenty of input on a new build. and with the money you have budgeted you can and will have a awsome RIG.

with that let me first start with the PSU. the most improtant thing you dont want to go cheap on..

PSU
    MOBO
    CPU
    MEM
    HDD
    GPU
    COOLER
    CASE'S
    Burners

you can have a real awsome RIG with this and well in your budget without going over.
    i put 2 cases in there to choose from a high end case and a middle of the road case which i and a few otheres here happen to have.

with the cheaper case you'll spend $1128 i think everything but the graphics card is free shiping.

with the bigger case you'll spend $1293 also all with free shipping
    EDIT:
    you might want 2 HDD seeing your into video and photo editing can never have enough storage..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

nice list rob. ;)

A look at some Mushkin RAM is ok too. ;) link

And some other Aluminum cases too. link

Cases are similar to hats! You just like what you like and that's it. :D

Good luck with your build....

,...gm

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@GM
    whats the difference in the 2 blue sets of mem? outside the physical look of them one being taler than the other(thats how they look to me).

13. ldhewlett

ldhewlett Member

Thnx guys :) its great to be here :)

i currently have a 300 gig hd, and a 250 gig hd.

i whould start here though, i recently had my gateway die on me, i think.

between me and my Boyfriend, we play a lot on the computer. but while the computer was playing some music while were eating dinner, it just randomly restarted, i didnt think much of it and went over to check it out. to my sadness it was stuck in a boot cycle.

So, i tried messing with it a little and couldnt get anything to happen. I decided to stick in the boot discs and format it. i have the option of creating a back up so i did, but i could not figure out how to acess this. when ever i went into the root folder there after, it went kachoo and would not let me in because i did not have access???

anywho, after formating it worked fine for about 30 min.s then jsut shut off completely while i was redownloading all my add on applications like firefox, open office, patching my games, ect. now when ever i turn it on *and i look at it with the case open* the fan turns a little then stops, a green light turns on On the Mobo, and thats it... so i said it was dead and im moving on to vista, even though i loved Xp...*tear*

Anywho, so i do have a 2nd hard drive, and then a Sata hard drive, which i have never actually used before, it came with the gateway. its the 250 with all my info and sutff on it i jsut could not get off for the life to save me. Then ontop of that i got a great deal a while back at new egg, they had Element WD external HDDs 500 gig for 70$... 70$! so i picked up three and blew my pay check. I have so far filled one and a half up with pictures and such, so it was worth it in my opinion.

I just got home from work so i will look at all your suggestions for a while then write another reply, but as far as Cases go, we decided we kinda wanna go over the top. We looked around and saw this really nice case. Its a full size Aluminum.

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=409&page=6

We like it because we figure we can use it again on our next computer when we decide to make the next one when the time arises, ya know?

If you know of any other full size Alum. cases that you would high rate/suggest i can look into those, but as of now our hearts are set on that :)

14. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Timings and Voltags Rob

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

timing and voltage rob, other than that not much. ;)

...gm

edit: sorry Pepp I was in the middle of 3 posts and you sneaked that one in on me. :) well there's 2 responses Robert. :p

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i'll look at them again but wernt they both CAS5?

yup but 5-5-5-18 vs 5-5-5-15
    heres my sign...lol
    i like that color of blue. but them red G-skills look cool too..

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ldhewlett: You could always stick with XP you know, we all pretty much do...

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Get the red... or not. It hasn't been the most lucky color for you.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    If you want 1066 memory, these are the current hot item at the moment!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

Better than G.Skill's more expensive 1066 Ram! Much lower voltage as well (2.0-2.1v vs 2.3-2.4v)! At $59.99, they're a bargain. OC like hell too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nice find Russ. ;)

I know it's personal preference but any ideas/input on these HDD's would be helpful. :) tia....

link to 500GB HDD's

...gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.