1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

BLOODY DITTO!!!!

Rob you sell yourself short! As Russ said this is possible and you can work it out. Just remember that we've ALL had these "problems" at one time or another. I told you about my MOBO from HELL..... lol. Once I figured out the problem it was out of warranty and NOT worth fixing anyway. You KEEP that chin up and your feet firmly planted and you'll get it. :D

....gm

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Rob, I just got off the phone with Johnny Bench, he's coming right over to your house to slap the whine out of you. Heck, I know you can get it right, you ain't no dummy, you're stubborn and resourceful. Heck, eventually you'll learn from your mistakes and get it right, then you'll come to your senses and finally don a Red Sox cap like you really need to.
    Git'er done buddy, we believe in you.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nah, not that I know of. ;) Only you English blokes would use something like that.... lol.

Ten-spot or dime maybe but you got the "tenner" all wrapped up there in England mate. :D

Still haven't pushed the buy button yet..... Looking over shoulder to make sure the wife isn't looking.... hehehe.

....gm

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

CRAP!!! with some more "looking" I found these beauties!!!!

link to 750GB HDD"s with 32MB cache!!!! $119.99 to $129.99

The extra $20 makes sense to me here.... anyone else feel the same way??

....gm

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    No, No, No,! I hold the rights to the MB from hell! I think I easily qualify, what with 3 P5N-E motherboards just to get one that worked! It even had me questioning (and others as well) whether I was just getting "past it"! LOL!! I know I at least hold the record for BSODs in single a week! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ <:eek:)

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ everyone
    thanks for the suport guys. this has really gotten me frustrated. i really appreciate the vote of confidence...

now.
    that 750gb segate looks really sweet for that price. i'll take one to while your wife isnt looking..lol

im home now after 12 1/2 hrs at work waiting to get my hands on this PSU... i open the box what do i see? a bag with wires comeing out of it... damn thought i had a bottle of Crown Royal ...lol
    this thing is sweeeeeet. i like how the cables are in the mesh type cover... looks cool... well im gona have me a budweiser with Johnny then im going to bed and install it in the morning

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Johnny drinks Buttwiper? I thought better of him than that! LOL!! That's not beer! It's.... Well I can't say that on here! I think it comes from the Clydesdales! LOL!! I like Miller, both regular and lite, and LeBatts Blue! I'm very fussy about my booze! LOL!!

You will do better tomorrow, I'm sure! Remember, every cloud has a Silver lining! Just don't be touching it in a lightning storm! ROFLMAO!! Sleep tight!

Got my parts all ordered. I got a Thermaltake PS like mine, an AMD 64x2 4800+, 2GB of that 1066 G.Skill Ram I linked you to, a Freezer 64 and a tube of MX-2! I also ordered that Enzotek cooler for my NB! Lots of work to do! LOL!! The best part is that I come out $100 ahead and still have 2 processors (New D-940 and a 3600+ Sempron), a couple of Optical drives and a AF-7 Pro to sell! I am a wheeler and dealer! LOL!! This is going to be fun! Been sick all day, but by Thursday when the parts com I should be better!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russell,

me too is a bud man. me no can stand miller lite. mgd ok, miller lite, pooey, yuk.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Beats the hell out of Bud Ice! That stuff tastes like Iodine! I'd sooner drink Pearl Light, and that's the worst there is! maybe that's where the Clydesdales go! LOL!! If I have a party or barbecue, I usually have a keg of MGD on hand! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Anybody want or need their Mosfets cooled? Here you go! 10 individual 6.5mm x6.5mm x12mm, and no cutting! These go on the individual Mosfets and how they are laid out doesn't matter as they fit nicely on the Mosfets! Just install with the included thermal tape and you're done! Pretty good deal for $10!

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enmofocomohe.html

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. ldhewlett

ldhewlett Member

what if i used this as a psu? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GNEFLB042208-_-PowerSupplies-_-T13-_-17341002

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Idhewlett,
    Nothing wrong with that choice! You can cut a lot of the costs and still have a great computer. I think Rob was a bit in a hurry to help you spend your money! LOL!! You can lose a couple of hundred dollars easy and still have one hell of a computer! If you want to go Quad Core, spend a little more on the CPU and get a Q6700. They just cut the price of it in half!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115027

It also comes with Unreal Tournament free! Much better chip than the Q6600, and well worth the extra$$$!

You would also be better off with this HDD as it has a 32MB Cache as opposed to the 16MB of the one you listed, for the same price!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ok check this out:

(and the velociraptor has a pre final FirmWare, so they are going to retest with a retail version)
    PCMARK VANTAGE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

REAL TIME tests
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3291&p=9
    there are more PCmark,i just couldnt be arsed

out of the 7200rpm drives:

from those results, the hitachi was horrible, followed second by the seagate, then the F1 then the WD. so WD WTF :D

9/13 were the WD. :O

(from 7200RPMs)

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    You can pretty well completely discount that Mtron Pro. It's not a real hard drive, and I don't want any drive that's dependent on Flash Memory. For one, there's almost no chance of recovery if the drive fails, and Flash memory has some issues that can cause the drive to stop reading and writing or show itself as full when in fact it's not!

One thing I noticed was that the 2 worst performers were 1TB drives. Other than for massive storage needs like storing Movies, I sure wouldn't want one as my only drive. I'm sure that the new Velociraptor would be good for gamers and such, but I do question $1 per GB being worth the price! I can get 3 Seagate 500GB Barracudas with the 32MB cache for the cost of 1 of the Velociraptors, so it wouldn't be very cost effective for me I'm afraid. That's 1.5TB for the cost of 1 300GB Velociraptor

Sam mentioned something about WD playing down the 32MB cache, but people seem to like them, and the first thing any of them mention is the speed. I will say this for WD, they have worked hard to improve the capabilities of their 8 and 16MB cache. There's a WD 1200JS, 120GB w/8MB cache in the eMachine, and it's fast as hell so their cache algorithms must work pretty good!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 120GB drive you have is unlikely to be any faster than the 1TB drives, so I think your criticism of their speed is a little off. As for the Velociraptor, if $1 per GB seems a bit much, remember that I paid $5 per GB for my 36GB Raptor... It was worth the money, it absolutely flies, and it's the slowest version!

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok just put the new PSU in. it fired right up no hesitations what so ever... and damn is it quiet compared to the CM PSU..lol only thing i can hear now is the Antec Tri cool fan, thats set on high..lol

i tried sandra again same results on that unknown data error? or something like that.

i got OCCT running right now....
    i did some rearrangeing in the case. i did away with that PCI-e card for the extra IDE hookups. o got my 2 ODD connected to the board and my other ODD is sata. soon everything will be sata.. ide will be gone..

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its still running..lol should i try a OC of some sort now???naw. gonna wait till this OCCT test is done first. then try Orthos for a bit

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

ldhewlett,
    There's nothing wrong with that psu. Just make sure you get something worthy. ;) As Russ pointed out the HDD he linked too is a good deal and will serve you well, you can even look at the Samsung I link to in this post as well. $120 for 750GB of storage is NICE. :D I'm not sure I would run my OS off a drive that big tho. I like to use HDD's 320GB and smaller normally but with the 32MB cache these newer HDD's have it's dang speedy. :) GOOD luck to you...

Russ good point with the NEW build. :) I think you can go with different components but DON'T go "cheap", inexpensive is ok but make sure the deal you're getting is actually a deal!!!

The Q6700 is one heck of a deal for the money. I'd get that cpu if I were buying right now. Forget the 45N cpus. lol. :p

Well I pulled the trigger on one of these. I hope it's a good'un!!! Samsung 750GB HDD

I also bought this case just for the heck of it. With an $80 MIR and only $50 after S&H and MIR it seemed like a good case to me. ;) Thermaltake VD1000SWA

^^^^^^ That's what happens when the gov't gives you another income refund check (due May 9th) and the Employer gives you an unexpected bonus for the 1st Quarter.... YEAH!!!!!!! Pumpin up the world's economy, NOT the US. lol. Sorry I just think it's funny how any government thinks or NOT thinks really.....

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.