1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i couldnt resist.
    OC'd a little. up to 3.42ghz. mem at 1:1 under clocked right now. i dont know if it is the PSU or me not being on this puter in a while but this thing FLY's i need wings..lol got Orthos running all is well..

oh yea my temps are the same at 3.42ghz as they were at 3.0 right now a high of 62c under load @ 3.42ghz...

gonna get me the Artic Freezer 7 friday i think..

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there's a sudden difference in how the PC runs I think we may have found the culprit. If you still get issues in Sandra don't fret as I think that can often happen. If OCCT and Orthos pass, however, and your system works reliably again, it looks like we're well on the way to the rebirth of the Big Red Machine... Cheer up! My issues with my faulty graphics card have got me down, but you can't let it ruin your life!

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

imo, from the results i saw i expected the WD 640 to top the 7200RPm caus it only has two platters packed at 320GB per plater.

and the 1TB f1 is faster then said 1TB drives becuase it only uses 3 platters at 334GB where as most use 4 250GB platters

and WD have used only 16MB cache on the 640GB.....and its chart topping, so id say 32mb cache doesnt really effect performnce as it not fully being used

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeedy. There's only so much you can pull off with 7200rpm it seems. The impact of half-filling a drive is far greater on its performance than it having even any more than 8MB of cache. At 90% full my OS drive can only make c. 25MB/s peak of its original 70, and it's fully defragmented.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

WOW, amazing deal on that case. I am buying it too!

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I thought you already had an AF7-Pro??? What are you using now?

Speaking of Freezer Pro, I did some careful measuring and then ordered a freezer 64 for the eMachine. I'll probably have the only eMachine in the world with a cooler like that in it! LOL!! Unlike most Mini ATX cases, this one had a lot of thought put into it's design. For instance, you don't need a Burner or a kit (ala Dell) to install a second HDD. There's actually a drive bay already there for it. Not only that, unlike the Dell kit, there's actually some room (about 3/4") between both drives for air to circulate. The other puzzler is the thickness of the steel. Most eMachines have cases that are so flimsy, that if you pick up the side cover by it's corner flat, you could easily damage it as they usually buckle and flex all over the place! This one is solid with none of that Flexible Flyer feel when you take it apart. The one I replaced all that stuff in was wobbly as hell with nothing in the case. It just surprises me that eMachine's cheapest computer has such decent quality to it. You would think that they would use the cheapest thing they could find as they have in the past. Most eMachines I ever saw had covers a little better than re-enforced Kleenex. Still, I can't build or buy a comparable machine for $341! That's the total cost for an AMD 64x2 4800+, Freezer 64, 120GB WD Sata drive, 2GB of G.Skill 800MHz Ram, 500W PS and an 8x DVD Burner! The cost will be even less when I sell or use the Sempron 2.01GHz 3600+! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

8. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question, i have a Sapphire PCI Express ATI RADEON X1950 Pro graphics card for my PC.

The specifications state that I would require a 30amps on a 12 volt rail.

I have looked everywhere and cannot find a power supply with 30amps on a 12 volt rail. I am in the UK.

If anyone has got any link to sites in the UK that sell the power supply I am looking for, that would be greatly appreciated really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

9. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

This :- http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563

would give you 41 amps and is a very solid and quiet PSU.

But even this :- http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131052

would give you 33 amps.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

11. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Corsair VX 450W will be fine for an X1950 Pro I assure you.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I found a pic of those EnzoTech forged copper Mosfet coolers for anyone interested. Certainly would help on a lot of motherboards.

[​IMG]

I'm going to try a set in the not too distant future, and see how they do.

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

This is frikkin sweet!!!! click on the link you guys..... LINKY to the case of the week!! lol.

And for my UK mates!!! linky to your case of the week.... hehehe...

.....gm

@russ,
    I still haven't gotten the NB enzotech cooler yet. I'm not OC'in that much and the NB is well within tolerances for me. ;) Lemme know how those mosfet coolers work!! If I OC any further I'll have to get the full gamut of coolers and such. lol.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well the puters been on all day no shutting down or anything.orthos ran a few hours no problems. OCCT is running now(hour test).in between times ive shut it down restarted everything fine. i changed my fans around some. i have the 2 top 140mm fans as intake now. the 1 side fan thats in front of the CPU cooler as exhaust. then the lower side fan as intake. front fan still intake and rea as exhaust... temp are still the same. under load right now about 65c. i did turn the front tricool fan down to medium. i cant hear this thing run at all....

sam you would be proud...lol
    hopefully i get my artic freezer 7 this weekend. if not next for sure. i'll have some OCCT graphs shortly

Grennie i'll give ya a call in 20 mins 10:05 your time

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

I realize the fan configuration on our cases is a little different but I finally concluded that this is the best arrangement for my case: as you know, we want the airflow to be from front to back and heat rises. both front fans are intake, top fan and rear fan are exhaust. both side fans are intake (sucking cool air in off the floor). then there are the p/s fan and the GPU fan both, of which are also exhaust.

most will say a little negative psi is better but in my case (play on words), a little positive psi works better.

if I was you, I would try: front fan as intake, rear fan as exhaust, both top fans as exhaust, both side fans (mounted as low as possible) as intake. just a suggestion.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that is the original way i had them. thought i would change them around and see if it made a difference.

im gonna try and take my CPU fan and plug it into the PSU directly. with it pluged into the mobo i cant adjust the speed of it. and it is only runnning at 609 rpms

i stand corrected. its my chasis fan that is only spining at 609rpm. still shouldnt that be going faster?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

is that a tricool? if so is it set on high on the 3 speed switch. is it plugged into a header on the mobo or directly to the psu?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

goodness Robert, your temps are higher than mine OC'ed to 4.0ghz. mine runs at 65c with OCCT.

got my new CM 110cfm 9 blade fan today. probably get it installed tomorrow. I'm hopeing it will lower my core temps another 4-5c.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.