1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no it is the CM fan that came with the case. my tricool fan is in the front set to medium. the CM fan in the rear is pluged into the mobo. i might try and plug it into the PSU directly.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

it is possible that, that is a 720 rpm fan although most cm fans are 1200 rpm. it is probably something to do with a fan setting in your bios.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    If it was me, I would put a Silverstone FM121-B on the rear and set it to 1200 rpm. Puts out right at 65 cfm at that speed and is very quiet doing it.

BTW, I use negative pressure to feed the static air vent on the lower side cover. It draws in cool air right at the video card and feeds some of it to the cooler and memory. Without some sort of air vent like that, negative pressure won't work! My case only has 3 case fans. I use the stock Cooler Master 80MM that came with the case for intake in the front, a Silverstone FM83 exhaust on the side cover and a FM121-B in the rear. I get pretty close to 100 cfm going through the case with both running under 1300 rpm, so everything stays pretty cool. Both Stones at full chat would move 185 cfm, but make a "LOT" of noise doing it! LOL!! There's no need as my temps have been good since I set these fans up! I guess you could throw in the PSU fan, but it doesn't run very hard. Much quieter than just the two Stock fans, and way quieter than when I had a Thunderblade in the back!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, I've got a vent on the bottom of my case, not at the bottom of the side like my mystique was but rather along the case bottom in the mobo area of the case. the whole right side panel is basically a vent as well.

for cases with the psu on the bottom the exhaust theory doesn't work as well imo since the cooler air is on the bottom of the case. not as good of design as top mount psu. again, just my opinion. should in theory however keep the psu cooler.

also not everybody uses a 2 slot gpu with that exhausts out the back of the case. so they can't count it as an exhaust fan. 2 slot "outside the case exhaust" gpu's is all I will use.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I wondered about how open the side of the computer case was and how it could move enough air to the right places. The suction on my air vent will easily hold a piece of Bond paper without falling off! I think the trick with your case would be higer cfm for all the exhaust fans and lower cfm for the ones on the side cover. This way you would be evacuating what the side fans are cooling off better, and all the fans on the side would pretty much cover the components with their airflow. By increasing the airflow on the exhaust side, you should get good cool airflow, pretty much from all directions while still exhausting the heat.

One of these days I'm going to do a Computer Model of some cases and their airflow and see what I can come up with that's a bit more scientific. It's taken a lot of time, trial & error and several different fans to get to where I am right now, and I fully realize that what works well for my rig might not work as well for someone else, even with the same case because of differences in the location of various components on the MB and differences in the other hardware used.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Fm121-B still uses the silly 3.5" bay controller though, which is annoying to say the least, having a cable run all the way through the case and an extra 3.5" slot used..
    He may as well plug one of these straight into the power supply and have done with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185005
    720rpm is the speed I run my case fans at, and while I don't have any problems doing that, I am using a somewhat bigger CPU cooler. I could also pull that off with my freezer 7 Pro, but I had to use around 60% fan speed to avoid reaching 60C on my CPU. Full speed didn't even reach 50C but it was bloody noisy, and I suspect you're getting used to and liking a nice quiet PC... :)

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh I'm not real "exceptant" of running a wire from front to back either. lol. I've done it tho with the fan controller that I have and it works just fine. Still don't like it tho....

Morty that's the fan config that I have with my CM-690 as well. It works well and keeps my components pretty cool. Of course I have a little bigger cooler than Rob does but I think if he hooks that baby up to "strait" power it'll provide some better cooling. :)

NO comments on those COOL case links!! Man I'm disappointed. :p

....gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha sorry I forgot. Put it this way, they're awesome, but no matter how rich I was, I wouldn't buy one. I used an SFF21E in a coolermaster case for my cousin's PC (along with a Corsair PSU and a fanless graphics card) and it works a treat, very quiet.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i done some more work on the fans...the system fan2 header is the one that is spinning at 609rpms not my rear fan that is actually spinning at 1148rpms now so close to max. i took my 2 140mmaero cool fans and made them exhaust again connected straight to the PSU. they are running max, cant hear them at all.
    i right now have a side fan pluged into the mobo on the power fan header. its running at 1142rpm's. then my other side fan i have pluged into the PSU so its running full tilt.

it dont matter which fan i plug into the sys fan2 header 600-700rpms is all it will go. so i dont have anything plugged into it now..lol
    @idle now im at 49c

im sure a new cooler will get them temps down..\

overall system running fine @3.42ghz no restarts BSOD,nothing i think im past that now.... get my cooling down 10c more and im a happy camper.

10. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I started OCCT last night before I went to bed and it will be close to 20 hours when I shut it down after work today. I think that would be a pretty good test eh?

Glad you got all your probelms sorted Rob, looks like both of us are on the yellow brick road now.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i had prime95 running for about a hour. no problems with it.so i can get it stable with OCCT Orthos and Prime95 but not sandra????? thinking of 3.6ghz later tonight or in the morning... :)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    While I agree, Silverstone should give you both fan mounts, How many folks here use a 3.5" floppy bay besides me! LOL!! I did drill out a 5.12" blank and mounted the fan control there. Even clears the door with no problem. The wires are so long that I run down from the fan, across the bottom and up the corner side of the case all the way to the top 5.25" bay and you don't even see the wires. I do agree that the mount is silly and I wish they would get their act together and make the 3.5" mount with a bit longer sides as some tool-less mechanisms don't go far enough forward to lock it securely into the bay. The little "L" shaped bracket that comes with the FN83 should be included with each fan. Room for 3 controllers and is easier to make neat! My case fans (except the front intake) are partly under control of the motherboard. I just fiddled with the settings until It cooled the way I wanted it to. I haven't touched it in months. It operates from about 1000 to just under 1300 rpm (1060 at the moment for both Stones) and they never hit 1300 rpm. not silent, but very quiet, and my temps are great! They never get to 60C, at least not since the Ceramique cured. Occt or Orthos sees 58-59C, tops! I think it's pretty good. They may even come down a bit more after I put that Enzotech NB cooler in, judging by what Nuck said about his.

Now for your laugh of the day! My Newegg order came this morning. You should see the "Joke" cooler that came with the 4800+. The box the CPU came in is only 6"x5.25" and weighs zilch! Looks like something from 4-5 years ago! LOL!! Aluminum block, no copper with a 60mm fan on top. It barely weighs more than the 4800+ itself! LOL!! Nothing at all like the one that came with my 4000+. It makes the Intel one look like a "Super Cooler"! ROFLMAO!! Talk about cheap! At best it's a $3.99 cooler. What a piece of junk!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I was comtemplating asking why, but then I read your sig.... :)

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

if i got everything stable and getting along together. im gonna try for all i can get..lol

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOCO I stopped that question a while back. hehehe. :p Some people you just don't need the answer, it's sitting right there in front of you. :D

Robert I would wait for the OC unless you got that ACF 7 Pro!!! NOT asking or telling you anything but with idle TEMPS at 49C and LOAD TEMP at 60C+ it might not be to wise to push it right now. :D My 2ยข I know but don't push it too soon. lol. Like I told you I haven't even OC'ed my Q6600 yet cause I'm to busy for one but NOT having a video card makes a difference. lol. I know, I know, I have 2 other computers to mess with but hey, it's OK to wait!! You waited a few months for this build a few more days (one day??) isn't gonna hurt anything. :p

OK ..... Daddy speech is over.......... hehehe. :p

....gm

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cincyrob - your temps are getting there, slowly but surely; mine are approx 31C idle and 45C during my triple act of DVD-RB/ConvertXtoDVD/DVD Flick (with all fans on lowest and no overclocking). The only fans i have are the Standard Antec 900 case fans ie the huge 200mm fan on top of case, exhaust fan, 2 front fans and an Antec fan i added at the side of the case. Other than that i only have the CPU fan which is the Zalman CNPS 9700

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh im not gonna try 3.6ghz or higher until i get my new cooler... im happy as a lark with it right now. just glad to have it back again and running

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well Folks,
    The verdict is in! I just made a silk purse, out of a Sow's ear! LOL!! New parts came 8:30 AM. I put it all together and considering that there is no overclocking options with the eMachine, it rocks! 17,497 MIPS! Motherboard recognized the 64x2 4800+ and it runs sweet. Looks a bit strange to see all these good bits in an eMachine! LOL!! Thanks to the Freezer 64, it runs cold as ice. 27C after running for an hour! Here's a pic I took of it. Sorry for the crappy pic but I'm much better with an SLR than with these tiny digital cameras!

[​IMG]

Like I said, you don't see these kind of components in an eMachine! LOL!! At the bottom is the 50mm fan I installed on the NB heat sink. It's amazingly neat considering all the excess wires I buried, mostly in the open drive bays. Notice that the location of the Freezer 64 in relation to the rear fan, is almost perfect. Blows the hot air right at the fan! Love it! LOL!! What once was a Pinto, is now a Cadillac!

Oh Sam, The old PSU was a Delta 160W job! I know Delta makes crappy PSUs, but I didn't know they made that one that poor! I mean I knew they were bad, but 160W? ROFLMAO!! Not too shabby for my $341 investment! And I still have a brand new D-940 and a 3600+ Sempron to sell or use, so the cost will wind up even lower!

Best Regards and Happy Computering,
    Russ

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I got the new 110 cfm 9 blade fan put on my TRUE. didn't change the idle temps at all but lowered the cpu and cpu vcore temps under full load about 5c. the ambient air temp is a degree or two higher in here today also. all in all I'm happy with the results.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

better than I'd expect actually, 5 degrees is a significant drop in load temps since I doubt they were that high to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.