1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

core temps under full load were higher than I liked before (65-67c). now they're about 60c on average occasionally bumping 63c.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I spoke too soon. bumped 65c now a couple times. still, the temps are better. I might lap my TRUE one of these days. before I put it on I noticed a small imperfection on the mounting surface. I should have returned it for another one and still might. I'll try it again when it cools down in here a bit to the same ambient temp it was when I tried it before with the scythe s-flex fan (72f). 75f in here now.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I guess you could say I have little patience but I got an RMA for a credit on my TRUE due to the imperfection on the mounting surface (where it contacts the cpu). I also ordered another one from a different retailer that will be prelapped. if for some reason they won't give me credit and only replace it, I will sell it on ebay or make somebody here one heck of a deal.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

DIBS.

Called it.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, all the goodness of this morning just vanished! My new 1066 memory failed Memtest! It was running at 1100MHz and I got errors! I reduced the fsb to 3.40GHz which put the memory right at 1066 on the 2.50 multiplier and it still fails Memtest. Looks like I'm going to have some words with Newegg tomorrow. I went to G.Skill's web site but none of the menu items work at all! I'm just a teense torqued! Now I'm beginning to think that in spite of the negative reviews lately about the Dominators, and with Mort's success with them, I should have gotten them anyway! ARGH!!!!!

Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What are your timings like?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So that leaves no guaranteed 1066mhz stuff at all?

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morty ignore abuzar!!! He's a cheeky git!! lol. I got dibs.... you love me more..... hehehe. :)

Russ,
    TRY some Mushkin!!! I've said it many times, I know I'm showing FANBOY type behavior but hey they're GOOD!!! ;) If they're good enough for our friendly DOCTOR then ...... well you know where I'm going. :p

link for Mushkins even tho the EGG is out of the "normal" stuff!!! lol

Corsair goodies... ;)

OCZ and Kingston HyperX goodies.... :p

Russ just trying to help and thru some humor in there. lol. I don't have any issues with the RAM I linked you too. I know, I haven't used it all but you bought something you have/had confidence in and it FAILED. :) I still say the Mushkin are good, I recently bought some OCZ and they seem danged good too. I need to test them properly but I believe they're better than the PNY that was in there. :p

...gm

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well to be honest i havent really been able to try my crucial 1066 mem yet. with all my other problems i never really have put them to any test. other than the 1 time i ran mem test on them. passed 3 test with mem test...i might run it again with the new PSU and see how it goes.

@Mort.
    so your getting the same temps as me. granted your OC is higher than mine right now but they are the same. i should have the artic cooler freezer 7 pro tomorrow. so im hopeing my temps come down some.
    guess the E3110 (Xeon) and the E8400 are truely twins..lol

@ZOSO
    nice new sig. you got your stuff together yet? or still waiting for parts?

ok im gonna try mem test again now..im OC'd to 3.42ghz with my mem at 2.0 multi(1:1ratio) might try and get it up to 2.5 multi or so then run memtest

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ, I knew there was something I had intended on doing (run memtest) but forgot too. my dominators passed at 1068mhz. no errors. corsair comes through for me again. they are yet to let me down.

gm and abuzar, we'll cross that bridge when/if we get there. hopefully it won't come to that.

rm (that's short for redsman), I realize our temps are similiar, but even though my cpu is OC'ed a lot more than yours, it should be running cooler considering I have one of the best heatsinks money can buy. at idle my cpu temp is 33c (91.4f). it should be cooler under no load as well. the coolest it has ever been, even set at stock clock and vcore is 28c (82.4f). it should have been a lot closer to ambient (low 70's)

there is a definate defect on the mounting surface. would have been there when the base was cast (like an air bubble) and it was too deep to polish out. I'll take a pic when I get it out. going to be a while since I'm going to wait until the new one gets here. quality control should have caught it and I never should have installed it. I got in too big of a hurry to get this thing togather. you know the old saying "hindsight is 20/20".

here's the one I ordered. only $19 more for lapping. look at that baby shine.............................

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, you were calling dibs on Mort's HSF? What a sadist! You want him to lose money.

I was just talking about the P5E.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Of course not! GM would be willing to pay retail to help Morty out! ROFLMFAO!
    5-5-5-15 @1056MHz. I just got done running Memtest for 2.5 hours and there's a couple of hundred errors. All in Test 5, Page 8, in 26 different memory addresses and climbing! The up side is that I buy so much stuff from Newegg, they never give me a hard time at all. Of course I spent more than 20 G's with them last year alone! LOL!!

I ran the Gromacs test in Orthos on the CPU for 2 hours without a glitch with the memory at DDR1100 with no problems at all. If I put the memory in the mix, it fails within minutes, even as low as 900MHz! Most times, it just resets the computer. Oh well, at least the upgrade on the eMachine works great. The 2GB of Ram makes a huge difference, especially with the 64x2 4800+ I'll see what they have to say in the morning!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, the 64x2 4800+ Brisbane is a winner, at least temperature wise. I've been running orthos on it for an hour and a half now and it's running 50-51C. The reduction to 65nm really has helped the temps! No C2D, for sure but still plenty fast! I'm going to do a DVD with DVDRB/CCE ans see how long it takes. It used to take 73 minutes for lost in space on the 4000+. I'm curious to see how long it takes on this one!

Stay tuned Kiddies! LOL!!

Edit: 49 minutes to Prepare, Encode and Re-build for a 7.2GB. I couldn't find Lost in Space, so I did Matilda, the Special Edition. Only about 4GB to the movie, but the game files still need to be copied as they are not compressed. Still, I'm reasonably impressed!

Russ

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

speaking of memtest. i left my meme asis right now 760mhz(380 a side) under clocked for now. i let it run 11 test no errors, passed them all. so i think i have a pretty good set a mem. accordingly to the test..lol once i get my AC Freezer 7 pro today and see some temp changes im gonna chcange the mem and try and get it close to the 1066 as i can at the current 3.42hgz OC i have i might have to goto a 3.0 multi to get that(which 380x3=1140) thats over clocked a bit. i dont have the option to use a 2.75 to say multi..which would give me a 1045mhz....unless i lower my CPU multi to 8 and bump the freq up to 430 that gives me a OC of 3.44ghz then i could use the 2.40 multi and wind up with 1032mhz... then run memtest again

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Don't you have a 2.50 multi? You should as mine does. That would give you a 1075MHz at that speed, and that's not really what I would call overclocked. It should be able to do 450x8 with the 2.4 multi and give you 1180MHz, which again is nothing that should strain anything. That would give you 3.6GHz.

I am so mad about this memory not working properly that I'm sitting here just waiting for Newegg to open so I can see what we are going to do. My gut tells me to either go with the OCZ Platinum, or the Dominators. I'm going to have to slow the machine way down as the only spare DDR2 I have at the moment is the 512MB PC25300 I took out of the eMachine, so it will be single channel and slow for a few days!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob,
    Did you work out a deal for the cooler?? Good for you if you did. :p The reason you stated (multi deficient mobo TWEAKER) is why I like the ASUS mobo better and more than likely the DFI as well.. ;) Russ is right you should have a 2.5 multi in there somewhere. :p

Russ,
    I like the OCZ Platinum series. I have the PC3200 version and it's great from everything that I can tell. :D Mushkin, Mushkin, Mushkin, Mushkin..... Have you heard or thought about Mushkin?? Just wondering. hehehe. :p AND btw you can "jerk" one of the sticks out of the eMachine until the "replacement" RAM shows up. :D NO sense in keeping your C2D down to "normal" speed unless you're selling that eMachine this quickly. :D

Good luck to both of you......

....gm

edit:

Well if that's the case then "reference" that situation next time. :p I may just sweet talk Morty out of that cooler. I has something that he wants and vice versa. hehehe. :) Man that cooler would look good in the Gigabyte Aurora 570!! :D

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greensman,
    I like the higher end Asus motherboards, but their customer service continues to decline. I went to their website earlier and couldn't get the page to completely load, so the link I needed wouldn't open. Add to that the propensity they have for hiring people who don't know squat and their constantly making you tell each person you talk to the same thing you just told the last guy, or them shuttling you to Knoxville, when it's the wrong place to send you, I just don't want the aggravation or the phone bills! I still recommend them where applicable but I also warn folks that if they need customer or tech service, good luck, as they both suck! God help you if you have a problem!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Gigabyte's website is just as slow and tedious, but it gets there in the end, and their phone tech support, whilst rather odd, was prompt and helpful.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That green case looks awesome. I'm amazed by the neatness of his cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.