1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Maybe it because of where you are calling from as I've never waited more than 3 minutes on hold with Gigabyte. Even transfers are fast and the techs most always know what the heck they are doing. At least they make a case number that the next guy can read so you don't have to go "Dotty" repeating yourself. You give them the case # and they read whats on their screen and then ask the right questions!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh yes you know i have the 2.5 multi i was just hinking of keeping it as close to stock without out going over, thats all. but with everything working fine like it is right now. i dont think i should have to worry about going over stock that WEEE little bit..lol

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Like I say, the phone support was very prompt, I never had to wait on hold at all, I got straight through, it's their website that's slow.
    Abuzar: The sad thing is my case was that clean and tidy when my PC was first built, and now look at it... :(
    I will tidy it all up eventually, but I keep changing things too often!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    LOL!! I wouldn't call 11MHz really going over! ROFLMAO!! That's well within any tolerance limit! Less than 1%!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last time I checked 1% of 1066mhz was 10.66mhz! lol
    consider, though, that PC8500 is actually just overclocked PC6400 memory and even going so much as 11mhz over the limit could potentially be near the problem zone, if not in it.

Edit: my bad, I didn't realise you were talking about the CPU speed.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Nope, strike that Edit! LOL!! you were right the first time. I'm just tired and don't feel very well. I was pretty close though! LOL!!

Russ

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i couldnt wait..lol im loven this thing..lol
    take a lookie at this

[​IMG]

4.05ghz ran30+mins in OCCT and now orthos....yea im gonna back it back down until i get the cooler

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

:O
    That's actually quite good...

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob those temps aren't to bad. At basically full load I'd say you're doing ok. I'd sure like to see that setup below 60C tho. NOW that you've done all this 'testing' with the CM TX2 cooler I'll be curious to see how the ACF 7 does. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

@sammy,
    NICE find on the Gigabyte with GREEN accents. /me likes!!!

....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a really tasty PC mod actually, I like it.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im at work now. and i just called my wife. she said orthos is still running at the 4.05ghz about 2 hours. i told her to turn it off(orthos) dont wanna over heat it right now...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    You been hanging around Pete Rose and Bernie Carbo too long! LOL!! Now let me say this! Are you nuts? Why on god's green Earth could you not wait another day? Do you play golf in lightning storms? Would you like to have to wait another couple of weeks again! Abuzar has more patience than you, and he's how old? ROFLMAO!!

I'll have to get hold of Big Will and come out there and give you a free lobotomy! Hey Will, hurry up with that pneumatic drill, he's getting out of hand again! ROFLMAO!! :eek:)

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

I don't trust HWMonitor but if those readings are right, you don't need a different cpu cooler. what did you have the vcore set at in the bios? HWMonitor gives you me two different sets of voltage readings (winbond W83627DHG which appears to be fairly accurate, and winbond W83791D which gives me some oddball off the wall readings).

[​IMG]

see what I mean. I have my vcore set at 1.34v so the top reading is accurate but look at the lower voltage readings. 1.09v for vcore and 4.20v for +12v. look at the lower fan readings. 29,348 rpm, 30682 rpm and 28,125 rpm. what's that all about?

personally, I don't trust or use HWMonitor. on the other hand if you can OC the cpu to 4.05ghz at 1.15v vcore and maintain those temps, you've got one helofa rig.

GM,

if they send me a replacement instead of giving me credit, we'll work something out :)

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

But but but I called DIBS! There IS a international DIBS law you know.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Mort
    i have my vcore set at 1.225v but everything shows it with the droop in it????
    i dont use the Hmonitor much. mostly vcoretemp is what i use mainly. and it shows the same temp as Hmonitor. i will look at the 2 different ones like you did and see what i come up with. when i get home i will run OCCT again and save the graphs and post them with everything before i switch HSF's

yes i have the AC freezer 7 in my dirty little hands..lol

Russ i dont have it stressing right now.. its not even being used, i wont let the wife mess with it..lmao yea right

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

if you are orthos stable at 4.05 at that vcore, that is awesome. I tried keeping my vcore relatively low (tried upping the FSBT and NB voltage) but for mine to be orthos stable at 4.0ghz, I eventually had to up the vcore to 1.34v and my cpu rated voltage is lower than yours to begin with. at 4.0ghz my core temps were bumping 65c with my defective TRUE. can't wait to see how much they drop when I get my new prelapped TRUE.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Which Fan would be recommended for this
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Socket 775 OEM Processor

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

FAN or HSF cooler?

cooler wise I'd go with the Ultra 120 or Extreme 120 from Thermalright, but if you want an inexpensive cooler that works quite nicely the ACF 7 (Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7) is the wtg!!!

hth....

....gm

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I had a chance to look a little bit. What do U think of this one.
    ThermalTake Golden Orb II / Socket 939/754/775 / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the wife just called me and said the orthos thingy is flashing red and stopped. i asked her if she stopped t hours ago when i tolde her too??? she said she hit the X in the corner..al that did was throw it down in the task bar.. so i had her look at the time on orthos to see how long it ran before it failed.. 3hr 21 mins... i told her to close all programs and turn the puter off..lol

so i dont know what caused it to fail maybe its the vcore needing some more juice so to say. once i get the AC 7 pro on it i'll bump the Vcore up to 1.30v and see what it does there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.