1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rick what's it going ON?? ;)

Here's what I would get for the money you CAN'T beat it and it's a proven cooler fo sho!!!

linky to ACF 7..... on sale right now at the EGG $26.99 delivered.... YEAH!!! I may pick one up just for giggles at that price!!! :D

....gm

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

NICE gift rick!!!! WOW....

Yep the ACF7 will fit nicely and should do you just fine. There are a couple of more coolers that MIGHT do a better job but I don't see you OC'in like a madman and they are about twice as much. ;) It's hard to beat that price anyways. I've been looking the last few months and I haven't see it lower than that and with FREE shipping to boot.

...gm

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..No OCing..I figure I'll get the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM its only 65.00
    and the fan is 30.00. So that puts it at about 655.00 + shipping, which I FIGURE WILL BE ABOUT 35.00..O Ya all so I've made 1 change from the Sony burner to a Lite-On as Sony does not Bitset
    Well what did U thunk of the case..Actually the whole thing..Does it seem like a good buy

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO need to switch burners, especially if it cost more. ;) I'll show you how to make that particular Sony a LITE-ON!!! :D

I like it all but I know NOTHING about the mobo. Intel builds a pretty good board from what I've read but they will do ZERO OC'in from what I've read. Sorry no real world experience there.

My only concern is the PSU, ULTRA power supplies aren't known for being the greatest. I can make suggestions if you like but using that psu might have a bit of a risk to it. lemme see what I can find on it. ;)

The case seems feature rich, BUT cases are like hats I say, YOU like what you like. lol.

On the HDD I saw 2 or 3 500GB for sale at the EGG of course.... for about $90 delivered!!! You can double your storage or buy one for yourself for just a little more. ;)

I know you said you have plenty of HDD's but is enough really enough when it comes to storage?? lol. CREAKY might know the answer to that... hehehe.

.....gm

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..Well good I WISH U would show me as I've got one, and I could not figure out how. So I bought a LITE=ON

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Rick ya gotta watch out for Greensman. he can make a dog into a monkey with all his firmware updates and changes...lmao

seriously he can make that sony into a lite-on with different firmware's. but if you did go the route of getting a lite-on you cant go wrong with it...(yup official fanboy)...lol

as GM said nice gift... you need another son-in-law????lol

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cincyrob..I'm real happy with LITE-ON..But the Sony I bought burns very well too. I would like to have Bitsetting on it as Sometimes friends return favors,they buy me DVDs..But it never fails, they always seem to buy me +'s. I've got 1 Player that does not like them therefore I need to bitset, and then it likes them

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..This mother brd is supposed to OC to 3.0..Which doesn't sound to bad to me..But won't need to do any OCing..Just need to know how to get my Sony to bitset

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

not all sony's can be flashed with lite-on f/w or be made capable of bitsetting. depends on who makes the chipset for that particular model.

Rick,

the artic cooler 7 pro is a much better hsf than the one you linked to. the flower/bud coolers are just not as efficient as the coolers that use thermal tubing. the flower/bud coolers are better than most oem coolers but if you can get the AF 7 Pro for the same money or less it is definately the better choice

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81.. Bought frm Newegg : Sony NEC Optiarc Model # AD-7190A
    Manufactured: S
    Mfg Date : Sept 20 2007

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Thanks I looked at newegg..I'm trying to keep everything packaged together. As I live in Florida, and Everybody else lives in Alabama. So I'll pay for and have it shipped, but be damned if I put it together and re-ship it to him. After all he's my son-inlaw not my son
    Thanks for the link on the burner also. I gotta go get something to eat I'll look at it later. Need to Download the Sony Firmware 1st though..Just In Case

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    The big problem with "Flower" type coolers is that they will build a small carpet over time that actually you can peel out of it. Sam had one and he'll tell you. Round coolers tend to do the same thing as the junction where all the fins come together collect dust and dirt. It builds up slowly till it finally cuts the airflow. That's why I dumped the Zalman 9500 as it was just too hard to clean inside the case, and the fan is almost impossible to remove once the cooler is mounted inside the case. Once I tried my first Arctic Freezer I was hooked. I even tested it against the 9500 on 3 different platforms and the Freezers were the better of the two! Not by a lot, though, but given the price difference, my choice was obvious. I use them in all my customer builds. I sold over 37 of them last year alone.

We just moved the eMachine to Russell's desk and if he don't stop grinning, I'm going to tape his ears to his nose! LOL!! Come to think about it, it would be an improvement! LOL!! He tends to look a bit like a Taxi going down the street with the doors open from the back! His son Rusty, is in the marines and I think his ears would register on Radar! ROFLMAO!!

OMG!! My Enzotech NB cooler just got here. Believe me when I say that the pictures don't do the beauty of this thing justice. It's a work of art! I'm going to hold off on putting it in until I get the new memory. You won't believe this, but it was $16.50 with free shipping. It came priority mail! Amazing!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got it on, same temps. not even 1 degree lower. but the fan isnt spinningas fast as the CM fans was.. the CM fan was going at 1800rpms. this one is only 1100rpms.. and other than pluging it into the PSU i cant get it to go faster???? any ideas?

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

This is at idle?? Try a session (short) with OCCT or Orthos!! You have the cooler plugged into the mobo, right??

From the little that I've read it should cool pretty well at both idle and load. NOT as good as the 120 series Ultra or Extreme from TR but NOT as poorly as the STOCK cooler either. :)

hth....

.....gm

edit: btw I ordered one (ACF7) from the EGG for $26.99 delivered. I couldn't stand it. lol. The wifey is gonna take me plastic away I know it. :p

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

@idle its the same 51-52c i ran a hr test with OCCT and got this
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/2008-04-25-22h52-CPU1.png
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/2008-04-25-22h52-CPU2.png
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/2008-04-25-22h52-VCore.png

i have been able in bios to disable the CPU fan warning?? it has let the CPU fan run at max speed. not sure if that s agood thing or not???

i tried 4.05 again. it wouldnt let me do it at stock voltage 1.225v i took it up to 1.300v and it would run in OCCT for about 10 mins then fail saying CPU to hot. i didnt take the vcore any higher than 1.30v so i backed down to 3.7ghz 412x9. mem is at 1030 just under so im happy with that..... its stable here now gonna try orthos after i run a mips test in sandra

3.7ghz at stock voltage. 1.225v not bad. i think. i need to figure out how to get it cooler???

EDIT:
    just did a MIPS test,,, not to bad i guess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.