1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: No you didn't, you called it for the P5E! lol
    Theone: Haha yup, my silver and orange Zalman cooler has now turned grey! I can't be bothered to clean it, it'd take too long. It still cools well enough.
    Greg: Because that's not an X-Fi, it's an Audigy SE. It's a perfectly good card, I had one for some time and liked it, I only changed it so I could have an external one that does the same job. I also only paid £17 for mine a couple of years back.
    Zoso: That sig messes with my eyes.. :)

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, c'mon everyone knew I was joking about the P5E! lol

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Well after much experimentation and forum searching I have come to a realization that something may be wrong with me or my new X38-DS4 mobo.
    I have used the <Ctrl>+<F1> at BIOS main menu screen, seen it blink to know it worked. Even read 2 different places in the manual where it said you may need to do that so I have read the manual.
    Can someone please explain to me why my computer either wont reboot, or restarts itself at stock settings when I turn on the clock control to bump my speed up from say 8x333 to say 8x334?
    I dont even need to change any values, just the act of changing the clock control from auto to manual restarts the system with the clock set back to auto.
    Funny thing is, after going back through the software that came with the mobo, I decided to install the Easytune clock settings software to help monitor things and to see if I could do anything with that. It actually let me go up to around 2.96 before it started crapping out on me. I've come to expect that setting up the BIOS is more stable than software that claims to do the same thing but unless you builders out there can spot my mistake and explain things to me like I'm a 5 year old, I'm at a loss.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Turning on clock control you need to set your performance settings to "Standard" as opposed to turbo or whatever the option is. Additionally, check your memory multiplier as it may be trying to run your memory at a speed it doesn't like.

Software overclocking as a rule is naff, so don't use it. Additionally, disable the software overclock in easytune completely before you select a hardware one in the BIOS.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

ZoSo,
    I owe Robert nothing. :p For one the battle was between me and the computer. And besides CR still hasn't gotten complete stability. :p He will.... I have NO doubt!!

Morty,
    I can take pictures of the computer but you guys have already seen them. :D

Russ,
    Yeh I know it only has 4 headers, thus the reason for saying that a screeny of Everest was gonna prove NOTHING. ;)

boozer,
    You called it for the P5E, sammy even saw it. :p

ZoSo it's a nice siggy, a little slower would be even nicer. hehehe. :p

Well I ordered that case (ThermalTake VD1000SWA) and HDD (Samsung 750GB) the other day. Which I can't wait for. lol. I can't remember if I mentioned the ACF7 too. At that price I couldn't pass it up and I want to do some checking to see if there's that much of a difference between the CM TX2. This stuff is completely addictive. lol. I should have that moniker just because of my obsession with this crap. lol. :p (please don't take that the wrong way, I honestly could care less about the title stuff)

.....gm

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Deadrum are you saving the "bios" before you leave. lol. I know, stupid question but I'm at a loss too. ;)

Another thing might be look around the forums or google and see if a BIOS update might be in order.

good luck as usual.....

....gm

edit: seems that I'm behind a post or two... lol. sammy answered already....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

If memory serves me right ARCTIC FREEZE is the BEST compound I need for the CPU. I think their are there are 2 types, which 1 do I need

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Arctic Silver is the stuff you want. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a heatsink/fan combination.

Arctic Silver V is the stuff most people go with, myself included. There's also another compound called Ceramique, but I'll be honest, I can't remember what the difference is.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@abuzar
    i built it for ripping and burning movies mostly. and to have a nice rig also..

@mort
    i dont see in my version of everest ultimate to have all those settings yours is showing.

@Russ
    i wnet back into my bios and set those controls like you said and it has my CPU fan back to spinning at half its rated speed.

im running orthos right now has been for 15 mins or so and my temp is only 63c @ 3.7ghz. havent had a failure yet. i got it stable in Orthos,OCCT,memtest has passed 6 complete passes. everything seems fine other than my temps. at idle im around 49c-52c then at load up to 63c+

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Different versions of everest (full versions) show different things.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats just it sam i have the full version... i think??lol

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris: THANK YOU

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Was that sarcasm? Because I'm serious, even the full versions of everest ultimate have significant difference in what they do and don't show up, so you may want to have a play with the different versions you can track down.

16. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks like a decent card for the price, just heed the warning about not losing the disc for creative's hardware.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Thanks ! That print screen is nice, I just tried it. I've been using Snagit which is great, it gives a few more options and control

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Russ thats some montior bet it will have a price of 5000.00 plus?

sorry Sam about the sig.
    BTW what side fan did your buddy use in his Antec 900 to cool the Thermalright cooler?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

ya gadwin printscreen is pretty basic but it's straight forward and I like it. besides, it's free.

the AC 7 Pro comes with thermal compound preapplied (MX-2). it is already as good as AS5, maybe better. leave it on the AC 7. if some other thermal compound was previously used on the cpu clean it off good before installing the AC 7. always clean the cpu with good quality isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth just prior to installing thermal compound or a hsf that has thermal compound preapplied. even the oil from your fingerprint will have ill affects.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.