1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i think ive found my groove.
    ive been running all the stress test on it all day even some last night not 1 failure. no shutting down restarting, no BSOD.
    i did go in and change my vore just a bit. from 1.225 to 1.250v its not much but i think it has made a difference.
    as for my temps as long as it dont go over 70c under load, which i doubt it ever will get as hot as it does useing the torture test..lol

so for now CPU is @ 3.7ghz mem is at 1030.at 2.5 multi. i could try the 3.0 multi and get like 1236 but i think that will be pushing it.. sure wish i had a 2.75 multi. lol but gotta take what i can get...

im gonna try something here. im gonna unplug my side fans and see if it makes a difference with just the front intake and the 2 top exhaust along with the rear.. see what happens

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Go for it. 70C on the cores is nowhere near as bad as 70C for the whole CPU so you still have some 'breathing room'.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    In all fairness and having no love for ECS, they do have to pass nVidia's standards, or they won't let them build them at all, so it might not be that bad of a card. What nVidia does is retail purchase random cards and makes sure they are meeting those standards from time to time. After all in the long run, it's nVidia's reputation on the line here.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

On the HDD is their a difference in Buffer Memory 8mb to the 16 mb, other then 8mb

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

the 16MB will be faster then the 8MB HDD

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    They are all less than a year old. The WD 120s are faster than the Seagate 160s. I try to be fair and thorough when I test so they were tested one at a time in the same bay! Both have an 8MB cache and the WD is the clear winner. I used WDs for a lot of years and back about 3 years ago I got a bunch of bad drives from them. I got tired of seeing the money I saved vanishing on shipping so I switched to Maxtor Diamond plus, both 9 and 10 series. When I switched to Sata I tried and liked the seagates. I've been using them ever since. They may not be the fastest, but I've never had one go down on me yet!

The computer has a sideways HDD bay with the electronics side facing the vents in the front, si I don't think that's the problem. I'm not alarmed at the temps but was just curious what your experience with them was.

Russell says he's going to name his new computer Oxy-Moron. That's what l8nights called it too! LOL I posted about the build in the member benchmarks over there. Russell wants to get one of those engraved brass plates to replace the logo on it! LOL!! I guess he's right as I never dreamed I would ever have anything nice to say about an eMachine. Russell just sits over there playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and grinning his ass off! LOL!! Needless to say, he likes it! LOL!!

I did note that the video (Nvidia 6150) is a lot better than the 6100 was on the 4000+. Much faster than the 4000+ or the D-940! The up side is that the guy I bought it from came by today to pick up the money, and he wants me to build him something like it! LOL!! I showed him mine and now he wants one. I'm pricing it out for him now. I just took a break and checked my e-mail. LOL!! Got to get back to it, so Later!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theone: Then how come Powercolor have got away with it all these years? :p They may pass certain standards, but only just. Why take the risk?
    As for the drives, the WD2500AAJS I have runs very cool compared to most of the drives. Since the most commonly used size among me and my mates is 500GB ones, the heat levels are obviously higher. The Samsungs get quite warm, the WDs get very warm, but the Seagates will burn your fingers.. As for the Maxtors, not sure that was the best advised choice in the world as the 9 series Maxtors had big problems with fire, but sticking with Seagate you can't go wrong. Most WD drives are also good, but a lemon slips by every now and then (150GB Raptor for example)
    The 6150 is indeed faster than the 6100, Integrated graphics are improving, but they're still dreadful for doing anything major. Your 7600GT is ten or more times faster than the 6150.

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you can get 8800GT for under 110 here in the uk

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't mean to sound rude but why is that relevant?

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

just felt like i had to say it :D

its so cheap now

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All too right really, it's been so long since something new came out graphics-wise it's high time the stuff we do have got cheaper.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..Yes and Thanks I d/l all, but have not had a chances to look at it yet..I've had a couple of rough days. Did not realize that there was a save option. Just seen that their was a save for Eeprom. But in the future I think I'll stivk with LITE-ON. Sure wish BEN-Q was still around.
    Whats really strange is that the Firmware on the NEC Site is the same as the Sony, If memory serves me right NEC does bitset

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, I don't. I had a terrible experience with Benq. I know opinions differ regarding brands but given the quality of some of Benq's other products, I don't think I'd ever feel safe using them.
    What about Pioneer?

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i have 5 of the elusive Benq DW1650's, fantastic drives, just wish i'd bought more of them before they stopped making/selling them, they were going for just £22 when i bought the last ones. sob :(

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm due to get another DVD RW in the not too distant future as not having any optical media drive is wearing a bit thin. How easy is it to burn discs when using a USB DVD writer?
    Also, I was considering an LG GS series drive again, as the one I had before (4163BA) worked well and was nice and quiet. I never had any issues with my ND-4570 but it was a bit on the noisy side.

16. creaky

USB is great for burning, have been using burners in USB enclosures for about 3 years now

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good stuff. Is there a particular enclosure you recommend? I've just been using the guts of an Icy Box IB-351 for my remaining DVD-ROM. It's only meant for 3.5" HDDs so it looks a bit of a mess!

18. creaky

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I had a Plextor External it worked really well, along with an internal NEC. I would burn 2 Discs at a time, which worked out pretty good. But if I tried to do more then burning, the External would fail. Other then that it worked well. Never failed on a single on a single burn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.