1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

The most concurrent burns i've done is 3, over a combination of internal/USB connected, and SATA burners, have had excellent results doing that for the longest time, though i've only added SATA to the equation over the last few months

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Also remember Belkin enclosures are the most reliable. One recommendation I would make is to buy a couple of those small fans they don't last long on any enclosure. Mine went out and I didn't realize it, and the enlosure quit on me and never did work again even after replacing the fan..From that point on I when I turned it on I alway look and make sure its running..Thats really my only complaint on Externals

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heres a look at my temps at idle.i havent run any stress test today.outside of curiosity no need to do any more at this time..

no problems what so ever @3.7ghz

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 42 °C (108 °F)
    CPU 28 °C (82 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 49 °C (120 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 49 °C (120 °F)
    GPU 44 °C (111 °F)
    Seagate ST3250410AS 28 °C (82 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 1045 RPM
    Fan #4 1146 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.20 V
    +3.3 V 3.36 V
    +12 V 12.06 V
    +5 V Standby 5.13 V
    VBAT Battery 3.12 V
    DIMM 2.21 V

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

looking good Robert i would leave it at that for now

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Creaky: Thanks. A wee bit pricey but if they work I'm sold. I've bought plenty of naff enclosures over the years, including even some of the Icy Boxes.
    Zoso: A friend of mine had a Pioneer DVR109 and it worked well, but it was a bit noisy. I remember preferring the note of my GSA-4163, but given the excellent quality ratings the Pioneer drives seem to get, I may still buy one anyway.
    Rick: I've never really used a fanned enclosure, the only one I did have broke, the Icyboxes are all passive except for the two port one and I usually turn that one's fan off, not had any issues.
    I wouldn't worry about concurrent burns, I've lived without having burned a disc in months, I don't think I'll be in such a rush that I need to do several at once!

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@Sanmorris,
    I burn from time to time on my spare DVD Drive connected VIA USB 2.0 and it works great. USB1. fun to try once but the speed is way too slow.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Where's that Robert from Cincinnati guy at?? :p Looks like you're getting there buddy. Glad to hear it and keep at it, only perseverance and determination will lick that problem. :)

sammyboy,
    Creaky gave you a good enclosure, I don't have one but I've read plenty about them. He turned me on to one a couple of years back and I didn't listen. lol. I didn't buy one actually, just built another puter. hehehe. :p Anyway you might consider Galaxy and their possible enclosures for DVDRW's. I have one of their HDD enclosures and liked it so much I ordered another one. I know different application but at least it's another avenue!!!

rick5446,
    lemme know how it all works out. PM if necessary for help. :)

For multiple burns, I've done 4 before!!!! Worked out just fine. I was using all kinds of different burners so it was interesting watching the machine (burning engine) choose the burn speed. lol. It chose 6X and I had to ask why???

.....gm

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I sign in a day later and this thread moved 2 pages so I'll try to respond to all and make some sense at the same time.
    Sam--I have always during testing had performance settings off. I have already uninstalled the Easytune program, I installed it only to diagnose problems. My memory multi is set so that I'm getting the rated 5-5-5-15 out of these dominators.
    GM--Yeah I saved everything. It had to be said, and I do have the latest BIOS revision
    THEONEJRS--I do the ctrl+F1 command at the main menu, in fact I make sure it works by placing the prompt on the advanced settings title, hit the command, then the prompt blinks and goes home to the basic settings title.
    I insure that I am pressing Y by hitting N then switching it back before saving.
    Saying that, I have been able to successfully change all the settings everyone has helped with and all things being equal, the only problem I have singled out is setting the clock control to manual. I dont even need to touch the clock speed, just turning the control on flashes everything back to auto even after other settings have been proven stable.
    I set everything to default, just setting the clock control to manual keeps things from rebooting.
    I save a few settings to boost the memory timings and voltages a bit and run it a while. I even bump the CPU voltage a hair to see if that helps. It still wont post if I set the clock control to manual.
    Sorry for my rambling, I just want to find a resolution to this problem.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im right here. been grilling them Ribs,and taters..lol not much itme for the puter today. wanted to goto G.A.B.P. to pay respects to Matt Maupin. pretty nice thing they did there. did get to go to the "layout" for him yesterday. a Official took pics of the family. dont know what s gonna come of it but we thougt it was cool..

sorry kinda off topic there but hey what can i say.

now speaking of multi burns ive done it few times on the HP system but not The Big Red Machine. gotta bet a 3rd or 4th burner in here and im gonna let it fly... i figure @34,000+ MIPS i should do well with 3 or 4 burners burning at once... what ya think Russ?lol

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

multi burners should fly on that machine Robert with NO problems.I do multi burns weekly with no problems on my machine

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm pleased at 36822 MIPS considering my cpu is only a C2D but I don't know if I can say I'm satisfied. I've already got one of the most OC friendly mobo's. now I find myself longing for a Q9450 quad core, big time. I'll probably upgrade sooner than I intended now that I have gotten my feet wet with my E3110 45nm cpu as a stepping stone.

I'm curious to see how much better my new prelapped TRUE will perform. I wish I had a Q9450 in hand that I could install when I swap out my defective TRUE for the new one.

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You can have mine Mort, I'm not having much luck with it...

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you have a Q9450? what mobo? it should OC to around 3.7ghz. I would luv the 12m L2 cache.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Very nice Rob! You notice the wide gap between the cores and the CPU? I don't know for certain if I am right or not but My gut feeling is that the better the CPU cooler and case ventilation works, the wider the gap between the two temperatures. The cores themselves always run hotter than the CPU as they are the source of the heat. To me that means it directly reflects the cooler's ability to remove heat from the CPU ie: the lower CPU temps. Good job! glad you hung in there buddy!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Mort-Gigabyte EX38-DS4 that I'm having all sorts of trouble setting things at stock let alone OC.
    My Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe was much easier to set.
    Also, I really am not giving it away, I'm just frustrated that I think theres a problem I might need to wait on a new BIOS revision for.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

from reading back through your posts it doesn't appear that your problem is with the cpu. mobo and bios settings is everything in regards to OC'ing. that's why I spent the big bucks on my asus rampage formula. as you probably already know, Iam a big time asus fanboy. I luv their bios's. I am soooo glad I didn't deviate away from them. I almost tried a DFI but came to my senses in the end.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Personally I've found my Gigabyte boards easier to overclock with than the Asuses. The X38-DS4 isn't quite as good as the P35C-DS3R in that department but still gets the job done.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats what has me confused with the 2 coolers i have. there is like a degree difference in the 2 coolers. but i do know since lastnight i have had my 2 side fans unplugged. temps havent changed. still in the same range... i need to take this thing downstairs where its cooler and see what happens...

guess i need to learn more about the NB/SB settings and what i need to do to them

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You are right Mort, I thought I might have a clue what I'm doing from using different boards before. I may be wrong. I still cant figure out why things blow up from simply enabling clock control without even speeding things up.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no offense sam but to my knowledge you have never had the opportunity of OC'ing with a top end asus mobo. the last asus mobo you had was a dud (full of black holes) and the problems you had with it weren't necessarily asus's fault but rather the nvidia 650i chipset.

on the other hand, look at the strikers (680i/780i chipset). top end mobo and very popular. I have always prefered the intel chipsets but for those that want SLI the strikers are a very popular mobo.

my P5W DH Deluxe (975X chipset) was a good OC'er and very reliable but even I am amazed at how much more OC friendly my rampage formula (X48 chipset) is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.