1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Why be amazed? Common sense dictates that the more "Bells and whistles", the more tunes you can play! LOL!!
    Then I guess I should be excited for the future then because I was knocking out over 33,000 MIPS at 3.6GHz with my E6750! Bodes very well for the future. Lowest SuperPi so far for me! I ordered the Dominators this morning! so that should improve a bit if I can just get the memory to run at 1066. Actually with the multiplier it should run at 1180MHz (450x2.4)

[​IMG]

That's before the memory decided to crap out. I was going to cut the excess off, but I didn't want anyone saying "nice Photoshop job" LOL!! Of course, cincyrob or greensman will probably say that anyway! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, I didn't know you knew how to use photoshop so well...

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I can't guarantee the dominators will run at 1180mhz. I haven't had the need nor have I tried to OC my dominators past 1068mhz since I have 4 fsb straps to choose from. I'm curious to see if they will run there ok. here's my Super PI results:

[​IMG]

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    That's why I'm kicking my self for not spending a bit more for the E6850. The 9x multi would be a great help as at 3.6GHz it would still be underclocked at 1000MHz, which would help the timings a bit. At 3.8 it would be running at 1155MHz, and I wouldn't be very fussed ovr 11MHz.

I've read claims of 1200MHz for the Dominators on some forums, but no one seems to care much about benchmarks anymore or they use programs like PCMark, which to me doesn't hold a candle to Sandra. When I first joined AD you either provided benchmarks to back up your claims or you got "rode hard and put up wet" until you did or kept your mouth shut. LOL!! I can just hear Soph and the Bear now! LOL!! Remember what I went through over my temps on the 965P/E4300? LOL!!

Abuzar1,
    How can I put this? Go suck an egg! ROFLMFAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks Russ for backing up my decision to go with the E6850!!! Money is important to save but if you have the little extra it takes to get the best for all the features then go ahead I say. :D

Once I get everything moved over to the new case I may try again on the OC for the E6850. I've only made it to a little under 3.7GHz stable and backed it down to 3.6GHz just for COMPLETE safety and stability....

Nicely put!!! What else can be said?? heheehe...

...gm

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Your welcome! With my computer, I put far too much emphasis on getting 4.0GHz out of it and didn't really plan it out as well as I should have. If I had stopped and done the math I would have waited and bought the E6850 with the 9x multiplier. The 8x multi is a bit harder to work with! Still I'm impressed with what it can do.

I'm not taking anything away from Morty's build as I think it's great and I'm happy for his success, and in spite of what I said about being poor, it's only a comparative thing. True, I no longer make six figures a year, but I'm not exactly starving either! LOL!! I build between 40 and 50 computers a year, do a lot of repairs, have my Turbine design work and the Dental handpiece repairs to keep me in Uncle Sam's Greenstamps.

Everyone has a different outlook on what they do for themselves. To me, it's not what you do, it's what you accomplish doing it. Whether it's high, middle or low end computers, there's a sense of accomplishment in what you do when you take components designed to work a certain way at a certain speed and improve their performance. No matter what level you are working at you still have to put in the time and effort, and your reward becomes what you create. It's the "I did this" and the personal pride that goes with it that makes it rewarding. Not to mention the smile it puts on your face!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's true Mort, but nonetheless the method by which you overclock is pretty much the same as with the high end boards, it's just a bit simpler. It was nice and easy to set the speed of the CPU, but it was a gamble as to whether it worked or not. I know that board is fraut with problems but from what I heard FSB black holes were common with all late nforces. Is this true?
    Also bear in mind I experimented with overclocking an A8N-SLI SE. It worked fine (while the board still worked) but was a bit of a faff to get anything out of the CPU.

Russ: I'm still recommending the 6750s and 6850s to people because they're still excellent CPUs. Without the weight on your shoulders of voltage problems, you can overclock them pretty amazingly, especially the 6850.

You'd think so wouldn't you? It has to be said though, overall I don't find my X38-DS4 quite as nice as the P35C-DS3R. The BIOS is very slow (it sits on verifying DMI pool data for aaaages). In addition it's using a higher voltage to achieve the same overclock on my CPU. However, I had a thought about that. Maybe it's the same voltage but with less of a Vdroop?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I don't know what your optical drives are, IDE or Sata. I had the same problem until I set my 2 IDE Opticals to cable select. The problem vanished, never to be heard from again. I did notice that Dell, HP, Gateway and eMachines all do that even though they still use the 40 wire cable for them.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have no IDEs... at all. lol - all I have is two S-ATA hard drives attached.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    I forgot! check what's plugged into your USB Ports. I had an issue with a usb jump drive where if it was plugged in it would just sit there forever, or at least it seemed like forever. I never did figure out why though. All I know is when I unplugged the USB Drive it blew right on through that screen. If there's a "Boot from other devices in the setup, you might try turning that off and see if it goes away.

Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting. I have a USB flash drive I've used to boot off previously to update my BIOS (even though it reverted back) plugged in...

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now Russ wy would we do that. your word is good enough for me........
    im at work right now but i did the super PI test before i left. the 1m test i got 12.750s on it. didnt get to see what the 32m got it was testing when i left.. ill post the shot of it tonight.

so running the 1066 mem at around 1140 isnt that bad of a thing to do if it runs there?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I didn't see any He-hes, ROLFs or LOLS! so sorry if I offended you! You trying to lull me into a false sense of insecurity?? ROFLMAO :eek:}

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

naw i wouldnt do that Russ...i think you wouldnt fib about a score ya got or have the need to..lol and you didnt offend me nor i think you did GM.. lol

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Robert is correct, it's very difficult to insult me. ;) NOW don't try cause you might actually hurt my little feelings. hehehe.

ON the PHOTOSHOP ordeal... I never thought about a trim job or any thing like that, JUST use your cursor and hover over the bottom (in Russ's case) of the screen (window), left click then "drag" up the window.... lol. Easy as that RUss!!! :p

I'm excited, I should receive delivery of the Thermaltake case, Galaxy HDD case, and 750 Samsung TODAY!!! Woooo-Hooooo.......

....gm

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Agreed! And quite annoying.
    Same here, except 4 SATA instead of 2.
    The three choices I have for boot device are set at HDD, CD-ROM, and floppy.
    At stock CPU speed (333Mhz FSB), to get my memory to run at stock the memory multi is 3.2 and it runs stable like that. CPU-Z shows 5-5-5-15 instead of the 5-7-7-24 that auto settings gave.
    Explaining those details, and the fact that it proves I can save some settings and voltages, does it make sense that I cant even change my clock control to manual?
    If this was simply a matter of me wanting to up my OC on something, I'd take these posts to the OC thread. I feel that setting your systems timings and learning the setup screen is as much a part of building as smashing a video card in the slot!
    Does anyone have any ideas of what to look for next? Any steps to take to figure out the problem because I'm thinking of contacting customer service.
    Thanks all for letting me rant again...

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Which is the better 1
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor BX80570E8400 - 3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Processor BX80557E6850 - 3.0GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775

The Conroe is 90 bucks more then the Wolfdale

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E6850's the better choice in my book, it'll overclock further without any voltage concerns.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    No contest! The Wolfdale, all the way! The extra 2MB of L2 cache does make a difference!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Not for $90 more! LOL!! I've seen some E6850's hit 3.6, 3.7 at stock voltage, or with a very minimal increase! At the same speeds SuperPi is about a second better with the Wolfdale just because of the additional L2 Cache!

BTW, did the DMI problem go away?

Respectfully,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.