1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Be I Be? I be here! I was taking a nap while memtest was running. Stressful evening, coupled with a long day! LOL!!

The Dominators run fine! I ran memtest on them at 1056MHz with no errors. I'm sorry to report that I think I got one of the so-so E6750s. It's solid as a rock at 3.5GHz with the memory at 1050MHz and it even runs at 3.6GHz, but it will crash running Orthos. I tried running it at 500x7 3500MHz, but as before it won't boot up. Mine just takes far too much voltage to get there! It seems it's just a lower spec CPU. My friend and I are going to try it in his Striker this weekend and see what it does there. I've already bet him $10 that it won't be stable over 3.5gHz without going over 1.5v, and that's not going to happen. I've thought about RMAing it but hell, I might even get worse! I'm not that fussed about it as I do have an 8600 or a Quad planned in the future, and at 32000+ Mips, the E6750 is not exactly slow. I'll see what Intel has to offer in the second half.

My CPU temp is up a bit to 33C, but I think that's because of the Dominators. It was also in the mid to high 80s here today and the walls of this house heat soak pretty bad. Typical Post WWII house where building supplies were not readily available, but they needed housing! The Dominators are pretty tall and I had to put them in slots 2 and 4 to clear the fan on my AF7. Since they are right behind the AF7-Pro fan, I'm sure some of their heat is going thrugh the CPU cooler. That may change when I get the Enzotech installed, as Nuck said that the CNB-R1 does a good job of keeping the MB cooler, that would help too. I've decided to wait to install it as I want to pull the MB completely out to make it easier and it will make re-doing the AF7-Pro with MX-2 much easier. We'll see! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

that looks to be a nice case. all aluminum and you shure can't beat the price.

Russ,

what NB and FSBT voltages are you running? upping the cpu vcore alone won't make for a stable OC. I had to raise my NB to 1.55v and my FSBT voltage to 1.41v. NB and mobo temps are fine at 43c and 32c respectively at 75f ambient temp. under full load the NB temp will increase 2-3 degrees and the mobo will increase 1-2 degrees.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good to hear Russ. ;) Looks as tho you may have a limiting cpu as well. lol. I may not have a limiting cpu as I was unwilling to take my voltages about 1.45v on the vcore and I didn't exceed a +.1v on either the FSB or MCH, which I'm sure limits the OC quite a bit. I was seeking a STABLE and COOL OC for my setup since I plan on it being my MAIN computer once I move the AMD to the bedroom. :D

Morty I like the case I just have to move all me goodies over to it. :) I'm gonna try again tonight. lol. It's tough to get anything done when you have to start about 10pm. A guy has to have his sleep. :p

...gm

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Sleep??? What's that?? ROFL!! I looked in the rulebook, it's not allowed! LOL!! You do that on the drive to work! Besides you get there faster as people tend to get the hell out of your way! Something about seeing a guy driving down the street with his eyes closed that scares them to death! You tell the people you work with that you get a bit violent when woken up, and then oversleep during break. makes them very reluctant to wake you up! ROFLMAO!! You catch a few more Zs that way. I'm tellin ya GM, There's tricks to Sleep Deprivation! FOFLTIH!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's sounding to me like OCCT and Orthos are tricky beggars to get running with no errors. I've not really run either for long durations on my PC, because I know I don't have any CPU-related stability problems, but from the sound of things that doesn't guarantee I'll pass the tests!

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

We used to have a folding team headed up by The Fiend, but I think he gave it up before he left the site. You could start up your own if you'd like.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    They aren't tricky beggers to get running! They either run or crash your computer! LOL!! Back when I was folding 24/7 I got a PM from someone telling me that my computer wasn't stable as it wasn't completing the WUs. I ran OCCT on it for 24 hours with no problems. I still wound up having to back the computer down to 3.71GHz because it wouldn't complete the WUs, therefore it did have errors that were CPU related! Gromac Cores are very tough on the CPU, not heat wise but in math co-processor function. Running it does generate some heat, but nothing like running Orthos or OCCT, as you only use about half of the processors power at the most. Folding will tell you whether you have any CPU related problems or not. You may very well have CPU related problems but just don't know it.

Mort81,
    I'm not sure you are aware of it or not but you don't have to go externally through an e-mail for a url in a PM or IM. Just paste the url into the PM or IM and the person on the other end can click on it to open it and see whatever you are sending. It automatically opens your e-mail and there it is. It still goes externally but with a lot less steps! If you did know that then just ignore this post! LOL!! Gina and I do it all the time the good part of that is, when you're done looking at it you just close the window and you are done and back to your PM or IM without having to leave it to go to your mail.

BTW, the dominators are the heaviest memory I ever came across. If someone threw one at you, it would really hurt and maybe even do serious damage. 1 stick weighs more than both sticks of G.Skill.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hence why they run cooler then! :)
    Managed to complete a COD4 mission in Crossfire mode with no crashes which was good, just by turning the fans up higher. This is a good sign as it suggests an HR-03GT may actually solve the problem...

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

...and cheaper than a pistola too, might have to pick up a kit and leave it by the front door. :p

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I just got my new prelapped TRUE. time to tear things apart. I sure wish it was as easy as replacing an AC freezer 7 pro.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, yeah. I still haven't got how to get the mounting plate through the heatpipes sorted in my head. I just struggle for half an hour then magically it's through...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG,
    A Kit would kill them! LOL, The box they came in from Newegg was 12"x10.5"x6.5"! I couldn't believe there was just memory in it! LOL!! I had to use slots 2 and 4 as there was no way to use slot 1. The Freezer 7 Pro's fan is in the way! Awesome memory. The only downside is now I have to go back and refine all the timings, as I did with the original G.Skill 800MHz memory.

As Sam pointed out, that's why they run soo.. cool!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

got my new TRUE put in and I'm back up n running. not a dramatic improvement but better none the less. no temp change at idle however my full load temps are better. my cores were bumping 67c half way through OCCT. now they're at 63c (bumped 64c a couple times) half way through (same ambient temp). I also used the TR chill factor thermal compound this time. I'm sure the temps will improve a little more as the thermal compound cures.

would've been back sooner but I lost all my settings in the bios (everything went back to default) and I had to OC again. here's a screenshot of everest and I'll post the OCCT results later when it is done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair Mort, a max of 65 at 4 gigs ain't half bad for air cooling...

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the results are in. the A/C kicked on during the last 10 minutes of the test. look what that did! I can live with these temps. I just can't handle anything over 65c. look how cool this mobo runs under full load (prior everest screenshot).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

I quite agree Morty!!! ;) NICE OC btw!!!!!!

Morty are you gonna run that thing at 4.0GHz all the time?? If I'm seeing your vcore correctly it says 1.34v?? Do you want to run it there for extended periods of time or do the NEW cpus (wolfdales) have a structure that 'helps' with the elctro-migration issue?? I'm just wondering NOT questioning your OC at all. IT's fan-frikkin-tastic if you ask me. :p

Morty ftw!!!

....gm

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    It's the same chip as the E8400 electronically, just better binned so anything under 1.3625v should be no problem. The Xeons have a lower limit because of their expected use, in a server stuck in some dark hole running 24/7/365. You wouldn't want a server hiding somewhere unseen and unheard tapped out at 4GHz! LOL!! That's why I don't leave my rig running Orthos without me being here, and I always set the warning temp to 70C. Actually my eyebrows start going up at 60C!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm going to try to make a CPU duct by attaching my Freezer 7 Pro fan to the top fan in my case. I will turn it around so it's an intake fan and my CPU will be getting cool air!

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's where she's staying. I won't OC it (and leave it) any higher however since I don't want to run my vcore at 1.35v or higher. 4.0ghz stable and core temps under 65c was my goal and is good enough for me with this cpu. I can at least say I have made the 4.0ghz club.

one of these days when I get a Q9450, I'm going to shoot for 3.7ghz, at least 3.6ghz. the 12M L2 cache will make it a monster.

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

looking good Mort

damnit I'm still stalled on my system update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.