1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Hey, go have some fun! I know what I wanted to ask you! With the temps you were talking about before, what kind of temps can you feel with your hand. The reason I ask is 70C should get your attention pretty quick by touch! Hell, that's right around 160F. I sure wouldn't want to jump into a tub with that hot a water temperature! It would get your attention for sure! Damn uncomfortable too! LOL!!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the thing - it's the coretemps that are in the 70s. The CPU temp is only 42C, and rightfully so the heatsink is pleasantly warm to the touch, far from hot at all. Bear in mind of course that coretemp is reading a full 15 degrees higher than speedfan.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I know you have a great cooler but no cooler in the world short of a chilled water system of some kind could get the CPU temps down to 42C! on air you would need a cooler much bigger than what you have now. LOL!! I don't like CorTemp to begin with as it has some issues with some hardware. I know it wouldn't run on my 965P with the E4300 in it. Click on coreTemp and the computer resets! It doesn't crash, and the settings don't go back to default. It's like running it "is" the reset button. I suspect the software is making calls to hardware that doesn't exist, and whatever exists at that address is re-setting the computer. I think given that you don't feel any extreme heat with your hand, that the program just isn't ready for the Newer chipset yet! I have the Everest Ultimate Engineer Edition 4.50 and the temps match spot on what's shown in the PC Health section of the BIOS with mine. I just don't believe those temps possible! The CPU temp would have to be a lot higher and the heat coming out of the computer could cook hotdogs! LOL!! I'll bet you money right now that your exhaust isn't that hot, and I'll bet you can put your wrist right on the top of the heat pipe tops, and it won't be uncomfortably hot!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why wouldn't it? 42C with an ambient temp is fine. At full speed my Freezer 7 Pro managed a reasonable 47...
    It's funny you should mention the instantaneous reboots, as I had those with the first revision of the program. It's also worth noting that the same will happen if you run Speedfan on any DFI board...
    For the record, Everest reports the same CPU temp Speedfan does.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Looking in the OC thread, Marsey99 posted this link to RealTemp and I need to test it but I'm at "work" right now.

Thanks to Marsey99 for the link and possibly a more accurate way to "monitor" core temperatures!!

....gm

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

BIG BROTHER you around?????

think im gonna try and get the GA-EP35-DS3P mobo..

that board looks pretty sweet. seems to have a few more goodies with it as far as bios goes..

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Of course he is, looking over your shoulder, thru your emails, listening to your phone calls, and maybe even in your PM business!! heheehe. :p

you looking at "buying" another mobo?? OR are you looking at Giga replacing yours??

....gm

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hopefully gigabyte replaceing mine??? with any luck. which i dont seem to have with this stuff

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i dont think from now on i will be getting anything that isnt a tj07 or one from lian li.

my m8 has a Lian Li PC-A71B and all i can say is :O :O :O :O

its AMAZINGLY BUILT. i sat on it, and 90Kgs and nothing happened to it. he is 70Kgs and he stood on it, nothing.

its so well built.

infact anything all aluminium will look and feel like sh!t.

yeah cooling wasnt all that, but it was roomy, classy amazing to look at, no sharp edges, all rounded, beautifull build quality and well though out. honestly words cant say what i feel. forget a wife, this i would marry, and then fornicate xD

and another m8 has a 120.4 rad and a 120.3 the .4 for the NB the SB the VRM and the CPU, and the .3 for the SLI ultras.

the case you could sleep in.

the next case i get will be one of these, or maybe ill dumb down to the £110 antec 1200.....who knows.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lian Li cases are undeniably well built, and are very popular at FragSoc. Apart from the plastic front and rear my main PC case is all brushed aluminium and it's lovely. Surprisingly sturdy considering how thin the material is, and much better built than most of the steel cases I see around.

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you go York?

im gonna go birmingham in sept, hopefully :D

(if only my grades would improve, sitting on a B and 2 Cs, need 3Bs)

wats ur subject?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Environmental Science - at least it will be in October.

For reference, this is our LAN:
    http://fragsoc.co.uk/

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ and Rob,

I'm probably going to upset you two and a couple of others with this post. that's not my intent. I'm not knocking gigabyte mobos but only pointing out some flaws in their bios's

are you two really contemplating another gigabyte mobo, even after I have pointed out the benefits in asus's bios. don't you want to know what your NB, SB, FSBT, etc voltages are. as you found out, gigabyte mobos won't show you these in the bios or through the use of monitor software such as everest.

don't you want to get away from having to use memory dividers and the guesswork. wouldn't it be nice to have a choice of memory speeds and just pick the memory speed you want?

wouldn't it be nice to pick the vcore and dram voltages you want instead of picking how much you want to increase them?

if nothing else, I would have hoped to have shown ppl how OC friendly asus bios's are compared to gigabytes bios's.

I realize a lot of folk don't have the money for an upper end asus mobo but the P5E isn't that much and as the old sayings go "you get what you pay for" and "a poor man pays twice". well I'm by no means wealthy but I only paid once for all my asus mobo's. no RMA's or replacements either. just to be on the safe side I did send in my P4P800SE when my brand new intel P4 3.4ghz cpu was DOA. all they did was update the bios and send it back. there was nothing wrong with it either.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Mort
    i hear what your saying completely. if i cant get this mobo i have now working like i think it should and cant get a RMA for a new one. then down the road(next few months) i will try a asus board.
    this is my first build ever so its not like i have alot of knowledge of different product. but i hear what you are saying. im just trying to give what i have the benafit of the doubt....

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob in your defense you did WAY better at your first build than I did. lol. I ended up spending almost $1000 for an AMD X2 3800 build. lol. Of course that's 2 250GB HDD's, 4 ODD's, ASUS mobo (replaced POS I started with...), Corsair psu (replaced Apevia and CM-500 extreme), OCZ DDR 400 RAM 2x1Gb (replaced 4x512MB stick of NO name stuff), and of course my Ultra 90 which replaced a cheaper cooler, and a few fans as well... lol. I'm including the cost of all the components even tho they were used in something else later.... well except the RAM, anyone need some DDR 400 RAM?? lol Oh btw, I still have the original case, Cooler Master Elite 330, good inexpensive case.... :)

Like Morty said, 'you pay twice' and I did... :p

The "better" Gigabyte mobos are pretty good but you still don't have the ability to set it like Morty was saying with the ASUS. I think that DFI brings some similar things to the table that ASUS does.... I like my mobo but it would be nice to set it to a specific voltage and know it's there. :)

.....gm

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    You are not upsetting me at all, and you make a good point, to a degree! However you didn't go through all the crap I had to to get My P5P800SE straightened out and the Fiasco with Asus over Gina's P5N-E. Asus Customer Service sucks! If you need Technical help, it's pretty much non-existent. They also lied to me and tried to cheat me out of $40, and I'm still stuck with over $80 in phone calls, mainly because of the Archaic way they handle things. You weren't the one that waited 29 days to get a MB back only to discover that it did the exact same thing it was sent in for repair for! I was the one who was without my computer for about 45 days, total because these people didn't know what the hell they were doing! I have no quarrel with the higher end MBs as they are very good, but I want service and Tech support if I ever need it and Asus is severely lacking in both departments! While I would like to know those voltages, I'm sure I will find a way to read them. If not, Oh Well, I never had them before, so you can't miss what you never had before!

What I get from GigaByte is a nice, well made, quality product and a solid build and OC, with a minimal amount of fuss. Great Customer service and people who know what they are talking about when you ask a technical question from their Tech Service. I won't buy another Asus MB unless they improve the way they do business. I don't care if it's the best product in the world! In the world of business, you can have the best product and still fail if you don't have good support for it. People will go elsewhere and buy something less to avoid the aggravation and headaches!

I like Sam's MB and I plan on getting one or maybe an X38-DQ6 to eventually replace my DS3R. If I have a problem I'll pick up the phone and know that it will be taken care of in a timely manner, by people who are mainly interested in seeing you the customer, are happy! This is my third GigaByte MB, and I am more than happy with it. In spite of all the different settings I've tried, I've only seen 1 BSOD and that was not mine nor GigaByte's fault. I haven't had to "try putting in one stick of memory", or "try using the other slots" and see if it posts kind of nonsense. I just assembled all the components and it worked, first time, every time without fuss or bother! I get a very decent OC out of it with minimal effort and I'm more than happy with the way it runs.

Remember something! I was the one who's abilities were being questioned at the hounds after the second P5N-E piece of crap died. I was the one to whom it was suggested that I might just be "past it"! I even got to the point of questioning myself, all because of a sub-standard, piece of crap motherboard. You have no idea of how alone you feel in that type of situation! It hurt then and it still smarts a little now, although I do understand. I can't blame the people over there! Who ever heard of back to back motherboards being bad like that. 3 motherboards for the same build in less than two weeks would sound suspicious, even to me! I felt more than vindicated when I built the 965P/E4300 a few weeks later and had it up and running in a couple of hours without problem one. I even felt more vindicated when I was able to OC it to an eventual 3.325GHz so easily. I was also impressed with my first ever Gigabyte build. I was pleased with the way Gigabyte handled my request for the DS3R in exchange for $50 and the 965P board because of an error in their advertising where I didn't have the CPU support that was originally promised. In contrast, Asus would not do that for me with the P5N-E, even though Gina offered to pay whatever the difference was in price to get a higher end MB after the second MB failed!

Yes the Bios in the Asus is superior to what I have now, but it sure doesn't seem to hurt my overclocks and I know that if I do have a problem, GigaByte can and will handle it! I believe they call that "Peace of Mind"!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mort, I'm with Russ here. Knowing those extra values would be interesting, but it isn't necessary - my PC just works with Gigabyte boards, there's no need to have all the extra tweaks because I haven't found them necessary. Additonally, Gigabyte's CS has been far superior to Asus'.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

there is no doubt that gigabytes customer service is superior to asus's but in asus's defense, I had a question regarding my new rampage formula that I called asus tech support about. there was absolutely no hold time. I got the main menu, then pushed the number for tech support. it rang twice and a tech support rep answered. the info apparently was correct as well since it has worked perfectly.

that's just it. I don't buy a product for their customer service. I buy it for what it can do for me. I've only had to call asus customer service a couple of times and each time for me the problem was resolved in a timely manor. one thing we both agree on is with asus top end mobo's customer service is almost unnecessary. they're that good.

as we both know there's more to OC'ing than just increasing the cpu frequency and raising the vcore. FSBT, NB and SB voltages play their part too. have you considered the possibility that the reason your E6750 won't OC better is because you can't fine tune some voltages in your bios like you can with upper/top end asus bios's.

gigabyte does make good mobo's. very dependable and reliable for the average user but for an extreme OC'er like myself, I want all the bells and whistles. I'll choose asus everytime.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

all I can say to that is your not getting near the OC out of your E4300 and gigabyte mobo that others got out of it using a top end asus mobo. so how can you say not knowing or having those additional features/values doesn't hurt? you can't. that same cpu has been OC'ed to 3.6ghz stable on air with top end asus mobo's. I don't say this very often to anybody but you're wrong.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i just got off the phone from gigaybyte. talked to Maggie Lin.she issued me another RMA # and a prepaid shipping label to send the mobo back to her. she said she would looking into it personally.(the bios not seeing the E8400 as 3.0ghz). and would take care of getting it right...

i actually got the RMA and packaging info in a email before i started this post.

Mort i like what you said about the average user.. that is most defently me..lol i just like to think i know more than i do.lol yes i can admit it.
    as you all know this is my first build so i dont and cant say which is better for what. i know as of right now the help imgetting from gigabyte is awsome. if i can get it replaced or even fixed right. i will be whistling dixie from here on out..lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.