1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    While based on the same architecture, the reduction to 45nm and minor improvements to that Architecture, along with the way the L2 cache is set up to work makes a whale of a difference. The way the L2 cache is utilized adds to the performance because it's not shared by the two cores like it is on the Conroes. The E8200 would be the better bet over the E7200 because it has an additional 3MB of L2 cache advantage over it. The performance differences would place the E6750 below both the E7200 and the E8200, The E8200 is the same 2.66GHz as the E6750 and is the same $179 price, $45 more than the E7200, but well worth the difference. It would have been my choice if it had been available when I bought my E6750. Still given the prices I would probably opt for the E8400 for it's ability to OC at lower voltages. On a decent MB, 3.6GHz should be a piece of cake, and it's known to go much higher!

Still there's the Q6600 with G0 stepping to consider too for $219. The G0 stepping was not as impressive as people had hoped for, but still 4 cores with 2x4MB L2 cache is nothing to sneeze at either at $85 more than the E7200 Wolfdale. It runs a bit hotter, but then again, you've got a good CPU cooler. I'm going to take a "wait and see" attitude for 5 or 6 months and see what shakes out and see where the prices go. Until then I'll just run what I got and be happy!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The best external drive is a good internal drive with a good box. Usually the ones you can buy pre-made have a bad one or other, sometimes both!
    If you can go e-SATA then do, as it's miles faster than using USB or Firewire - If you own a Gigabyte board it'll have come with an adapter so you can do just this. I recommend using Western Digital or Seagate drives for external enclosures, as Samsungs vibrate so much they'll be very loud when in an external enclosure. As for the enclosure itself, the ones I've had the most luck with have been the IcyBox IB-351.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

4. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Yo guys, i just got my Audigy card threw the post today. Installed everything and it's working but tbh the difference over onboard is minimal.

Well anyway i wanted to benefit from 5.1 surround. What dvd package should i be looking for?

PowerDVD was one i was looking into. Something to do with going to Creative's website and typing in Dolby DTS or something.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

greg, m8, have you got decent speakers?

if not you wont notice.

6. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Um, they aren't surround speakers...

8. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

I though it emulated it or something.

Oh well. Waste of 21 quid.

I'll stick with these till later on in the year when i get something decent in the surround aspect. Most likely the Z5500's(or an upgrade in graphics, cpu or something).

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Greg you might give these a look. ;) link to X-540 (at the EGG sorry....lazy on a link for your side of the pond ;P) They won't move your walls but should give you some decent sound. :)

....gm

add: for those in the states.. here's a good deal!!! Seagate 500GB $69.99 NO MIR's!!!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

looking out for me again/still I see. good man. unfortunately, I don't need any yet but at that price I might pick some up anyway.

speaking of speakers (play on words lol), I'm gonna try and pick up a set of these puppy's on ebay.

AMPLIFIER HEADROOM: 500 watts total < 0.5% THD.

AMPLIFIER: BASH® hybrid amplifier; discrete MOSFET output
    power section. Dual regulating power supplies allow
    maximum current delivery to the subwoofer,
    independent of satellites, for unparalleled dynamic
    range capability.

SUBWOOFER: Bass-reflex enclosure with front port and dual sidefiring
    8" long-throw drivers.

OH BABY.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lots of people seem rock set on Klipsch speakers. Not owned them myself, but I own the very Z-5500s Greg was considering and they are superb for sound quality, performance etc. The only downside is they're not EM shielded so hope you have good electrics in your house...

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

sammy that's a good ladd!! Thanks for adding that link. :)

Morty,
    You're more than welcome sir!! Any thing for me friends!!!

....gm

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Kinda off topic, but did any of you Check out the HTC Touch Diamond? What an amazing phone! I just put up my iPhone on eBay(yeah I know, I despise Apple products, but after hacking it it was decent and I got a really good deal on it).

I am getting that phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5fetcaQIaA

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam, to be totally honest, I have never heard the klipsch promedia 5.1's before (I have heard the 4.1's), but in regards to 2.1 desktop speaker systems, the klipsch promedia 2.1 system is the best I have ever heard, so much so I had to buy some.

unparalleled clarity and crispness from the satallytes and nice clear bass from only a single 6 1/2" long throw subwoofer. I can only imagine what 2 8" long throw woofers driven by their own designated mosfet amp sounds like.

the only con is that klipsch is high-dollar. the klipsch promedia ultra 5.1's are going for around $400 on ebay.

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort81, those are the speakers i have , hell yeah you will like them man definitely worth the money.

Klipsch is the only thing i buy ,there the perfect speakers for Rock n Roll and Blues!! full rich sound with and very good low end

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you have some of the klipsch promedia 5.1's? ultra's or reg's? how much you pay for them?

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort, I have the regular set, 4 channel with the sub-woofer , no center channel. I bought then from the Klipsch web-site for around 200.00 dollars several years ago. they were refurbished but have worked perfectly since I've had them

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

perhaps you guys could do a test for me out of curiosity? The sound out of the Z-5500s is absolutely immense, but below about 38Hz there's a very steep dropoff in volume, which can be cured distortion free by upping the lowest slider in itunes, but it's not something I feel I should have to do. Is below 40Hz just tricky for any speaker setup or a flaw with these?

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

sammy that question might be better answered in the Home Audio/Theater section of AD. :) But from what I can remember about subs and such most are good until about 80Hz or so. Below that you (humans) can't hear it anyway. I'm going on memory with speakers and sound so it may be a little "off".

btw if it is (off), you "gurus" chime right in. :p

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.