1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys have your surround set up?

I mean i think it's just impossible for me to have surround without wires dragging all along the floor. Be good if like each speaker was wireless or something.

Here's my room. No real space. :p

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/BruceleeJKD/S1051683.jpg

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Front left, Front right, Front Center speakers on desk (well I say desk, the front center is on a shelf immediately above the desk). Rear left is on a bookcase on the left side of my room - the cable is routed over the doorframe then down onto the floor held to the wall then rises up to the bookcase. The Rear right cable follows the bottom of the wall round behind my bed and comes up to my bedside table.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

shucks, missed out on a set of klipsch promedia 5.1's by $2.50 while I was at work. oh well, I got my bid in on another set.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mortimer you quit that braggin about all that money you got to spend on speakers and all them other goodies.... :p hehehee.

Finally d/l real temp for the E6850 just for giggles and got these readings. Similar to any of you running equipment like mine??

[​IMG]

Just wondering about the TJ Max as well. I'll do some more 'research' but I think 95C is correct for the TJ Max on the E6850...

.....gm

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Is your Woofer in a corner? Tuned port woofers work best if placed in a corner. I have one 32' rank of diaphone pipes for the bass pedals and low "C" has to be heard/felt to be believed. It's the lowest note on the Organ! I don't know exactly what the frequency is, but various sources say anywhere from 16 Hertz to 61 Hertz. All I know is that it will rattle the windows and shake the floor.

I have a 10" long throw woofer in a tuned enclosure that came with my Sony stuck firmly in the left front corner of the room and the bass is magnificent

The problem you are having with the volume drop off is a simple matter of power. Bass notes require many times more power than the mid-range or tweeters. The lower the note, the more power it requires to maintain the same sound level, Roughly 10 times more power for the same dBA level. This will vary to a degree depending on the efficiency of the woofer and the pitch.

Here's a picture of what I had in my "Music Room" back in the Quadraphonic days.
    [​IMG]

Probably the best speaker ever designed and still in production since they were first introduced in 1946 with nothing but minor cosmetic changes over the years. They are huge at over 4' tall, 2 1/2' wide and almost as deep! At roughly 175 Lbs each, the floor wasn't going anywhere! LOL!! I had 4! One in each corner of a 22' x 22' soundproof room I added to the house in 81. My then wife couldn't handle loud music, while I like to feel it! LOL!! What was then expensive at around $6000 would today cost a whopping 15 Grand plus Tax (7.75%), for a total $16,162.50. Don't you just love Inflation, Sales Tax and VAT?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/details/klipschorn.aspx#specifications

Can you tell I was serious about my tunes! ROFLMAO!!

Best regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A low C should be 32Hz from what I read. It's about a low F where the volume bottoms out on these, and you're quite right about the power. Upping the volume for the 32Hz slider in itunes solves the issue - stick a bit of paper over the port for the sub and it vibrates twice as much as for the higher notes!

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey guys, turns out my CPU is fine, it was my motherboard screwing up my overclock. After I did the vdroop mod it's stable at 3.2GHz with 1.32v. My highest temp after 15mins of stress testing is 63C and before I would get to 70C+ in one or two minutes.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Actually I completely forgot I was talking Bass clef! It's Subcontra, 4 octaves below Middle "C" (C0). It's 16.352 Hertz! Some Real pipe organs have 64 foot pipes (Subsubcontra) and their lowest sound is C-1 (that's C minus 1) and are 8.176 Hertz. That would rattle your innards on an empty stomach! LOL!!

Audio-Visual was my first formal training in electronics!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. nighters

nighters Member

The power supply nightmare continues. El cheapo replacement arrived today (remember I just want to get this thing running for a couple days before i junk it out) and no luck. Since I'm almost a total newb at this I have no idea if the PSU is not correct or DOA. It has the +4 and the mobo has no plug for it so I'm guessing it's not correct. Did all the standard stuff - plugged it in different spots, tried old and new power cords, but I can't get it to run.

Here's a pic of the problem:
    http://nightshifter.com/etc/PSUProb01.jpg

And for identification on the mobo I grabbed this pic:
    http://nightshifter.com/etc/PSUProb02.jpg

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

nighters,
    The PSU is correct! You only used that with Intel P4 motherboards and up for CPU power! If you have an AMD it's not used. Just put it aside as it's not needed if there's no socket for it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. nighters

nighters Member

hm, are there any tests I can perform to determine why it is not powering up?

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cable to drives. remove all cards & ram except for 1 stick of ram & a videocard.

13. nighters

nighters Member

okay - i unplugged everything except for the video card and now it flickers when you hit the power button.

Edit: I'm thinking this beast is just toast at this point. I have a hard drive enclosure on hand I can try to use to get the files over to the new one, which the remainder of the parts for are arriving tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, you all are great people.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  14. ddp

still have a stick of ram onboard?

15. nighters

nighters Member

Yep - i even pulled it and swapped with the other stick, then tried without, same results.

16. ddp

try another videocard even a pci version. try without an agp card to see if powers up or not.

17. nighters

nighters Member

no pci card on hand to try - no luck otherwise. Thanks for the help ddp. I think i'm going to call it dead.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nighters,

if all you are wanting to do is recover some files from the hdd, you can plug the hdd into another computer and transfer the files.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With really old AMDs it's not used, but with some Socket A boards and all 754/939/AM2 boards it is used, so to say AMDs don't need it isn't really true. What's important though is that it isn't needed for this board.
    @Russ: lol @ 16Hz, that's the sort of frequency you feel rather than hear is it not?

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.