1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Been chatting about this case on the official NZXT forum. Clearly a ripoff of the 900, but since its NZXT and it has slots for 140mm fans not a 200, it has the potential to do the same job as the 900 but much quieter. It should also hopefully not suffer all the nasty design flaws of the 900 either, such as the dreadful hard disk install method, and shorter than usual front panel wires. I wouldn't say its better looking than the 900, if anything worse IMO, but it should be a better case, and cheap too.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

tbh the antec 900 is just to popular to be shifted.

but if it was £15 cheaper, id chose the tempest.

now for me the only way is up to lian-li/tjo7/antec 1200

i just gota get money and decide

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like a lot about the NZXT case but it has the same HDD box (similar) as the TT case I was looking at. I don't think you can remove the entire "box" when everything is installed. I like the HDD bay of the CM=690, part of the reason that I like that case so much. NOT that I remove the HDD's that often but it's nice anyway. :)

The NZXT does seem like a nice little case and good air flow too!! Gamers should like that case with all the stress they put the puter thru....

...gm

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

OK GPU guru's, I just ran 3DMARK06. my score was 10982. is that about par for a stock HD3850?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Oh you can hear it, but it also shakes the hell out of the ground too! I was in NYC at St John The Devine Church for an Inter-city Choir rehersal when they were tuning the main organ. This is one of the largest churches in the world and made of stone, and the Bass notes were shaking the walls! The Woofer on my Sony is supposed to deliver 22Hz, but it doesn't seem to have any particular problem with the 32 footers. I have the 31 and 62Hz sliders at 0 and boost the 125Hz to +3. All I know is if you place a lit candle, 1 foot in front of the speaker, it will blow it right out hitting a Subcontra C at 32Hz! LOL!! I doubt that there's a speaker in the world that could faithfully reproduce a 64 foot note, at least not the lower ones. I don't even think there's another instrument besides the Organ that can make that sound. It's the absolute king of Dynamic Range!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Mort, yes that score is very good for a 3850. I had mine overclocked to 770/1010 and my Q6600 to 3.6 and my score was 11780.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: Lian Li cases are nicer looking, as was your old sig. The new one's nasty!
    Gm: See this is the thing, the RC-690 will probably still be cheaper and just as good. The Tempest has neither the styling nor the unique features that some NZXT cases offer so it will struggle to be competitive.
    Mort: Above par, that beats my score for a stock 3870, let alone a 3850.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i had major cooling problems with the Lian Li i had

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not all cases are the same. I know at least half a dozen people at my LAN who use Lian Li cases and only one of them had cooling issues, and he's since changed case anyway. (The problematic one was the PC-V600, I think he now has an A17 or something like that)

10. spaul40

spaul40 Member

Oh you can hear it, but it also shakes the hell out of the ground too! I was in NYC at St John The Devine Church for an Inter-city Choir rehersal when they were tuning the main organ. This is one of the largest churches in the world and made of stone, and the Bass notes were shaking the walls! The Woofer on my Sony is supposed to deliver 22Hz, but it doesn't seem to have any particular problem with the 32 footers.
    <Snip>
    Yes, a 64 foot pipe does deliver a 16.4Hz tone which you can both hear and feel. A contrabassoon goes down to 25Hz and also will wake up your subwoofer and poweramp. Regarding depth of sound of woofers, for an inexpensive sub to go much below 50 HZ is asking a lot. Sure, they will play some 40 Hz or even 30Hz sound but the volume roll off is drastic (15 to 25 db). I wrote for the Absolute Sound for a few years and was an importer and distributor of "high end" audio products for about 6 years. Not bragging at all. The industry sucks as everyone who designs a component thinks it is the best of the best and some of the sound is pathetic! A real egocentric business!

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

WEll with some of the posting in here I see that my statement of about 60Hz was wrong on the human hearing for the low sounds. ;)

I found this..

link to source.... i'm sure there are better explanations but this worked for me..

hth....

...gm

edit: highlighted is what I was getting at, the lows for most people are inaudible unless amplified significantly. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  12. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Oh noes. I may have something faulty in my system.

When i was playing a video(that successfuly played mins ago) my pc screen froze up and made a really weird buzzing sound.

The pc then restarted and booted back up fine. I shut it down and then played the same video again and it did the same thing. I'm gonna leave it on idle just now to see if it's the video that was somehow causing the crash or something.

Could it be a graphics card issue?

I'll try and get a video of the crash. When i rechecked the GPU temp(on the second try) it said 56c.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

try different drivers.

if you have the newest get omega ones.

and for sam, ill change back :D

14. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Well so far good news. Had my PC on for 15 minutes and played other video files and no restarts. I'll put it down to a bad video file i rendered.

15. spaul40

spaul40 Member

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I had a crash while booting up this morning and got a Kernel Fault error and it rebooted. I've heard of people who had problems with the Corsair Dominator 1066 memory a week or two after they were installed, so I ran memtest and got 1 error. I tested the DIMMS individually and got the same error for both sticks. I put the original G.Skills back in and ran memtest again. I again got an error in the same test (2) but a different error address.

I talked to the Tech Rep at Gigabyte, and he thinks my memory controller is bad and asked me to check the memory on another computer. I ran the test on all 5 sticks in the AMD and no errors. I also took the memory over to my buddy's house as he has a GA-EP35-DS3R, and again, a clean test on all 5. I guess it's time for and RMA! LOL!! I've got the computer running at default settings with a single stick of 667MHz memory at the moment, so if something does blow up, it won't hurt my new memory.

I guess the moral to this tale of woe is, if your computer fails memtest, run memtest on the memory in a different computer before RMA-ing your memory to get a better idea whether it's actually the memory or a problem with the memory controller!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Greg: I only usually get this when I'm too close to my limit of overclocking (it doesn't seem to be related to CPU load) - a faulty video file can crash the player and potentially cause a hang with explorer, but it should never make your entire PC hang with a loud noise...

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dang Russ now ya got me wondering if that mighta been part of my problem. my memory, or the mem slots....man there is so many possibilities with this its unreal..lol

im actually giveing my mem to Bigwill and let him run them in his system while my mobo is out and see how they run in his GA-EP35C-DS3R.

19. nighters

nighters Member

Thanks again guys - The Pink Beast is up and running. The wife is very happy! Hard drive survived and worked int he external enclosure so her data was backed up - she's firing up WoW as I type this lol.

Thanks again!

edit:

View through the window:

http://www.nightshifter.com/etc/pinkybeast.jpg

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I was all set to call Corsair for an RMA and I got to thinking about it, and how every stick of DDR2 showed errors, so I called GigaByte and asked them, It hadn't crossed my mind to test it in another machine because the other is an AMD, but he said while it's not representative of the P35 chipset, it still should give me some sort of error, although not necessarily the same one! 5 different sticks failing the same test would be a bit bizarre! All 5 came up clean as a whistle. On mine the Dominators were failing MemTest at 880MHz and I backed down the fsb and they still failed at 800! I've since tried them in a Friend's EP35-DS3R and they come up clean on it too!

I know there were periodic delays where Intel stopped shipping the P35 chipset to the OEM's, and I know they have had problems with the X38 and X48's, where they halted production of them, but those problems were a bit more publicized than the problems with P35 chipset were!

Have Big Will (where the hell is he, BTW?) run MemTest on yours while he has them! I had hundreds of errors with the G.Skill at 800MHz with "0" errorrs on the AMD at the same speed. Another weird thing is now suddenly my CPU will boot up and run at stock voltages, and only requires 1.37v to run at 3.4GHz! Wierd!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.