1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I thought my CPU was messed up too, but it was just the motherboard. Before it wasn't stable at 1.52v and now it's stable at 1.35v.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

nighters,
    Looks good. The pink looks a lot quieter than it did in the pic from Newegg. Best thing is that the Wife is happy! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ/Abuzar

what you guys are saying now about the cpu and the voltage that is the same thing mine was doing. it would run fine at a slightly increase then crash and run great at the lower voltage. i remember when i first started haven the problem, i talked to a tech at micorcenter and he said the board with the p35 chips would do just that. run at one voltage fine then crash and run at a lower voltage. he said something about the chip haveing a so called defect in it???? heck i dont know.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I heard about that but assumed it was solved early on. I've always used auto voltage and so far touching wood never had a problem.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I understand what you are saying, but this one was requiring 1.41v just to post and 1.44v to run without crashing. It wouldn't even post below 1.41v until yesterday, so somethings amuck it the NB chip, cause that's where the memory controller is. I knew of the problems with both the X38 and X48 chipsets, but I wasn't aware of problems with the P35.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My P35 board autoed at 1.41V and my X38 autos at 1.44. Never set it to manual and I've never had any issues...

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's not entirely true.. :) You have plenty of issues... :p

My P35-DS3P board is set to 1.4375v for the vcore and seems to run just fine atm.... knocking on wood as it seems more issues are discovered daily. :p

Hey guys what do you think about this case?? I'm looking for something later this year or maybe early next year.... I'm liking the NEW QUADS and want to do one on a TOP END ASUS mobo or maybe even DFI if I can get some feed back there. :) I know it's a long way off but hey gotta plan ahead and such!! :p

...gm

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

that case appears to have some features very similiar to some cooler master cases (tool-less design and side vents). note that it is not all alumunum:

Material of Front Bezel: Aluminum
    Material of Main Chassis: 0.8/0.6 SECC/SGCC

good to see somebody is finally seeing the light. what chipset are you considering? intel or nvidia?

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, do the vdroop mod for your board. It will have an AMAZING difference on the stability. I cannot recommend it enough.

Oh also guys, I SOLD MY COMPUTER!!!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    As Morty said, it's similar in design to some Cooler master cases, but they don't seem to give you very much for your money. No case fans and no bus that I can see for the hot swappable Sata drives, so you still have to buy the removable bays to install in what's there. Since iStar sells those, it's a bit of a surprise that at least one is not included for the price, especially with everything else they already leave out. It's also a discontinued item, as it's no longer listed on their product list. There's lots better cases for the same money. Having to shuck out $30 or more each for the Hot Swap innards, when the Company makes them kinda sucks too. It also drives the total cost of the case up to around $209 if you want all 3 drives swappable! And there's still all the fans to buy! I will say this, it is a nice looking case though! Just my opinion, but I would pass on it! Nice $50 case, but not worth $119!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Grats Abuzar, what's next then?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

sorry to burst your bubble ole buddie but directron.com is issueing me a refund on the TRUE I returned, even though it was over 30 days since I purchased it. guess you'll have to buy one flat out if you still want one. I'm still interested in the item we were considering on trade.

I could have PM'ed this but wanted everyone to acknowledge that directron.com is a trustworthy retailer. I will do business with them again.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't know. Maybe I will wait for the Q9450 to come down in price.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's pretty good service. Bookmarked, thanks for letting us know.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i should have gone with my first instinct when i started haven all my problems with my rig. the memory.....i asked bigwill to run my crucial ballistix 1066 mem in hisa rig... it crashed right on boot.. put his back in and wouldnt fire up.. lucky for him he got his mobo at microcenter and they gave him a new one.... just my luck huh

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, at least we've found the root of the problem, and memory's a doddle to replace compared to a mobo or CPU...

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

and he's still your friend? sorry Rob, don't mean to rub salt in the wound but couldn't resist.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, that made me re-read the post and I think I see what's happened - sounds like the RAM damaging the memory controller, which would be why a replacement board initially solved it but then it happened again.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hell i hope gigabyte dont charge me this time if they dont find anything wrong.. now i gotta get with crucial and try to get some good mem.... i think thats another story.. might just go get me some corsair 1066 mem.

yea will's a great guy. does piss me off it happend to him. but now with his new board it is running hot???

edit
    thats just it sam they didnt replace my board the first time they said i had a damaged cpu socket and repaired it

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did he do the thermal paste right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.