1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i can only assume he did im not sure. right off hand does anyone know where crucial is(location wise)

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

looks like you got a few different options there buddy... :)

link to Crucial contacts list....

Can you believe that RAM is causing the problems?? Doesn't say much for Memtest 86 IMO...

....gm

edit: more specifically

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

That actually kinda worries me... I have some Crucial 1066 Tracers but they are in the other puter. It has the Asus Striker so I should be safe I suppose. I still have some doubts with Memtest 86.... hmmmmmmmmm....

well we got more to think about now......

.....gm

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I've been telling you guys about how the Crucial Ballistix(the gold kind) use different chips and really are horrible now. They Black ones aren't affected and they haven't switched Memory chips for the PC-8500 ones either so, Rob, your memory is probably just a bad pair.

Seriously, bycott the PC-6400 Ballistic mem(not the tracers).

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I seem to recall a naff experience with PC8500 tracers as well, I'd say boycott Ballistix entirely until they sort it out. I hear of almost no issues with Corsair stuff...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

geeensman,
    I doubt that the memory was bad to begin with. Today I ran memtest and got no errors at all on my machine! Yesterday all 5 sticks failed. I don't think that the memory got better overnight, although I did put them away in a warm dry place and tucked them in nice! LOL!! I also tested them with both sticks and single with no errors! I don't think the memory controller can damage the memory or burn it out, and failed memory addresses don't repair themselves at stock speeds and voltages, and I'm not about to OC 1066 memory to begin with. I should have realized that when I got hundreds of memory errors with the G.Skill and the computer still ran as long as it was kept under 3.552GHz with the memory at 1065MHz. If all those errors were true, the computer should have crashed left and right. There were so many different errors at so many different addresses, that it should have been impossible for it to even run. I just didn't snap to it at the time! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just filled out the form for a rma with crucial. waiting for a response from them.

here is my mem.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

boozer your saying these arent in with the bad batch of memory you were talking about?

edit
    well my boards been deliverd at 9:04 am guess i can only cross my fingers now..lol

edit again
    thats what is kinda funny with my mem. i ran memtest at least 5 times on them with no errors what so ever. i take them out let will have them adn BAM his noard crashes and wont boot up like mine was doing.???

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    The funny part is these were the memory to have about 6 months ago and the Black Tracers were a problem. Must not be enough good chips to go around so they must keep switching the good chips back and forth! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well first of all they used chips that don't overclock as well. Now what they are doing is making the RAM one sided and it's not that good. Make sure when you call Crucial up that you want DOUBLE SIDED ram and that's the good stuff.

The bad batch is specifically batch 97432. This is the worst kind there is. The mem will cause BSOD and crashing like crazy but MemTest won't detect any errors every time. Seems like what's happening to you guys. My memory just doesn't OC that well, but I don't have stability problems.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know a monumental amount of people who use XMS2 PC6400CAS4 and not one has had any issues with it. If you're after CAS4 memory, go with that, seriously. As for PC8500, Dominators don't seem perfect, but given Crucial's track record they seem preferable. What about OCZ and GeIL?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

DAMN BOOZER why dindt you tell me that before???? thats the damn batch i have.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh BOOZER!!! lol. Sorry rob that struck me as funny. ;)

Are you guys looking on the RAM or what for this batch #?? I don't want to take my crap apart just to see NOTHING. :p I have some Tracers remember??

....gm

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if looking for some good DDR2 800 memory, here ya go. this stuff should OC to 1066mhz fairly easily if you loosen up the timings to 5-5-5-15.

not that I am disapointed with my DDR2 1066 dominators but those above should have better chips.

a person can't hardly go wrong with these either. I'm fairly certain they have micron chips. why weren't they that cheap when I was buying?

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well actually my batch number is 97433 but the symptons you just stated is everything my system was doing.... damn....unless gigabyte finds something wrong im gonna have to pay for a service charge. heaven knows how much that will be.....once i get my RMA from crucial im gonna call them and tell them about the double sided mem. and the batch numbers but im sure they know that.. ihope.

boozer where did you find that info about the bad batches?

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so is the micron chip what i want then?is it the same chip just different brand names? if so how do you know what you get,can you request it.....

all this time i bad mouthed my mobo and it wasnt the culpret...sorry giga...

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've been there before too Rob, don't worry about it.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it is stamped on the side of the mem. you might be able to see it without takeing them out

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I did some more research and it all depends on what version of memory you get. no guarantees anymore and the retailers don't publish the version no. the 1066 memory I posted is not micron. micron and elpida are both 2.2v modules and the ones at newegg are 2.1v and most likely PSC. here's where I got my info http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57334

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob thanks for the info on the RAM #'s. I'll check when i can..

Mortimor.... Good info with the RAMGUY... To bad I don't have any Corsair memory to look up. :p

What about Mushkin RAM?? :D

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.