1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, I found this info doing a google search for bad performance for Crucial sticks. Also Micron makes the best performing Ram ICs and their frontend seller is Crucial lol.

If you guys want good Ram check this out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

I'll post a link later that shows what chips are used in what memory. I just have it find it.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

First I want to say thanks for the link. :)

Next.... there's 2 things wrong with that case... well at least 2 but i'm gonna report 3... lol

It's $270, it has nVidia plastered all over it... AND it's NOT in my hot little hands... heheehe. :p

....gm

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

so what's the problem? don't you like nvidia? $270 is nothing for a man of your means.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO real problem besides the fact that $270 for a case AIN'T gonna happen in my house..... lol. Oh me likes the GREEN fans and mesh but I have a difficult time advertising for FREE... NOW if nVidia called me up and said... "Hey GM you wanna support us with this FREE case and some GPU's for FREE too??"

THEN the GM would be jumping at it, with joy even.... hehehe. It's a VERY nice case but again the $$$ is holding me back... :p btw a man of my means can barely afford restocking fees on POS cases that he's already bought... lol. :p

.....gm

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    The Dominators I bought from Newegg were supposed to be TWIN2X2048-8500C5D! What I got was TWIN2X2048-8500C5DG, which aren't even listed on Corsair's web site. I will say this, they run great at 1066, which is all I can expect, and they remain very cool doing it at 2.1v. I wouldn't overclock them anyway as they're still only 800MHz chips with a 266MHz overclock, just like any other PC8500 memory.

BTW! My temps have leveled out after I installed the Enzotech NB Cooler. I'm happy to say that I am very pleased with the results. Ambient temp is 24C. The MX-2 works very well on both the CPU Cooler and the NB.

I don't know what's wrong with ImageShack, but it suddenly isn't working, so you'll have to take my word for now. I have the pics, it just won't host them???

My Idle temps are now 41C MB, 27C CPU, Cores are 33C and 32C. While encoding with DVDRB/CCE it shows 42C MB, 40C CPU (41C max for the entire encode), Cores are 51C and 49C. Ambient temp is 25C. The CPU temp is a whopping 6-7C lower than ever before with the stock NB heat sink at the same 25C Ambient temp while encoding. The Enzotech does a great job of keeping heat away from the CPU Socket. MB temps are the same as with the stock heat sink, so the Enzotech's ability to pull heat out of the motherboard and away from the CPU is obvious. VDroop is exactly .01v, so I'm not going to be doing any mods to the MB in the near future as I'm not going to be fussed about such a small amount of VDroop. Image Shack is probably experiencing some sort of problem, but I will post the Pics, if requested!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Imageshack's often down I find, so no worries there. Some pretty nice temps though it has to be said.

My PC's currently tucked away right next to my server at the moment so I can have some floorspace and as a result temps are much higher - 46C for chipset and 39 idle for CPU, 49 cores. However, when my airflow route is sorted out again (PCs spaced apart, side fan actually switched on, fanless graphics card) I'll see what's what.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Missed that in amongst all the RAM hoopla!!! lol.

I'm looking at the X48 for now... I'm not to sure on them as I haven't researched the chip enough but I know at least one guy that is satisfied!!! :D I have looked up a couple of mobos tho and it seems the ASUS Rampage and DFI LANParty LT X48-T2R (i think that's the right model..it uses DDR2 anyway.... :p) are the 2 mobos at the top of my list.... I've been happy with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P that I have but I'm really liking the ability to set more of the voltages to "actual" values than the "increase" it this much strategy that Gigabyte takes. I know, I know the Gigabyte is a good mobo but we all have our "preferences". :)

....gm

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

I too was seriously considering the DFI LP LT X48 mobo. the main reason I decided against it is because in order to use a "TRUE" with it, the cooler has to be mounted so that the fan is on top blowing down in order to clear the NB cooler.

I thimk it would be an excellent mobo if some other cpu hsf is used other than a TRUE or TRU.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or if you used an HR-07 instead or something similar... People keep avoiding motherboards for that reason unnecessarily. It kinda bugs me.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, i went to ImageShack this morning and what appeared this morning is what I tried to host last night. Here's the idle temps, 24C Ambient!

[​IMG]

Here's the DVDRB/CCE, which is multi threaded, so both cores are working, 25C Ambient! Max hit during the Encode was 41C. Sweet! Thanks Nuck for the Heads-Up on the Enzotech! The computer had been on continuously for over 12 hours, so it was thoroughly warmed up. I took the pic halfway through the encode!

[​IMG]

Like I said in my previous post, these are the lowest temps I've ever had while encoding with an E6750 on this MB. I think I understand why no drop in the MB temp with the Enzotech. The heat the Enzotech is removing from or keeping away from the MB has to go through the NB chip so it's reading the NB temp the same, even thought it's removing more heat. That makes sense to me! Note the .01v drop in CPU voltage under load!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sam,

I think you mean a HR-05. the HR-07 is a memory cooler.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, I did. Sorry, there's too many of the damn things these days! :)

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

still no reply from Crucial yet. guess there CS dept dont work on the weekends..lol

the Enzotech is those the small copper pipes for the mosfet?

EDIT
    nope for the NB..still alot of copper tubes. nice looking item for the mobo and cooling

i found this but isnt this the SB and not the NB???
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556068433.html

just by the shape on my board this looks like the SB my NB is a rectangle shape

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  15. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

wow! i like the new layout for AD. Looking good!

hey guys is this true?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Probably not. Many games don't utilize all four cores for quad cores anyway.

17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well, will low cache really effect gaming performance? and yes some games doesn't utilize all four cores but it still acts as dual cores and has more cache than normal dual

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well yes the chache will limit performance, but it shouldn't make a HUGE difference.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No it's bull, I can tell you that from personal experience.

20. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Ugh at the randomness of my PC. Was watching good old Turtles episodes last night and not a single shutdown. Hopefully updating the Audigy drivers helped.

Well anyway the family is after a new HD TV, so Samsung it is. However for a TV the size we are gonna get (42" probably) i want better than the 2 x 10w rms speakers included. The living room is quite big so surround sound would be useful. I was looking at the home theatre kits and they seem quite expensive(might just be the catalogue but they wanted 500 quid for a Philips home theatre set)

By any chance could i purchase the Z5500's and use them for surround or do they lack connections to be hooked up to the Samsung?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.