1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've seen the acer 24" monitor, and I've seen the Dell. It's not all about pixel pitch, trust me. The picture quality of the Dell is superior in its colour accuracy. With the acer there always seemed to be way too much colour or too little, and sometimes both at once.
    Acer's laptop screens aren't bad, they're significantly better than their desktop monitors, but if you've seen the screen on an XPS M1700 or a 2407WFP in action, you won't be finding faults with it.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im on the phone now with crucial. after talking to a tech. he has given me some very good info.
    abuzar1 you will be interested in this.

the 800 as well as 1066 sticks are haveing problem with the p35 chip in itself. and that is the single sided sticks. they dont have/make the 1066 double sided anymore. so im gonna have to get the DDR2 800. the sticks i will be getting are the DDR2 800 part# 97433. the 97432 are the older model number. they have assured me that the DDR2 800(97433) have not had any issues with the P35 chip/boards.

they first started noticing this problem on ASUS p35 boards, and thought it was just with asus, but since they have found gigabyte boards and intel boards haven the same problem with the P35 chip.

edit:
    now i have to get intouch with them on the big price difference i paid$99(79 after rebate) and those sticks are only $54. icant let $25 go that easy..lol

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

See Rob, you're getting this thing sorted out, just like your boys got their batting order sorted out, well not exactly.
    Seriously, I've been following this thread for a while and appreciate all the info you gouys have posted and when I build my next unit I'll know what I'm doing thanks to you.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Always nice to hear. :)

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well once again. talked with them they are/were going to send me the DDR2 1066 again. basicaly the same sticks just newer. ithen told them the tech i talked to said ishould get the DR2 800 sticks but im not sure if i would get the 97432 batch(the bad ones)..so i dont know right now what im getting once they are replaced..

from what i have done with them and other reviews ive read...when you get these running at the so called rated speed(1066) you get the BSOD and rebooting. if i remember correct i had the best luck with them when they were under clocked closer to the 800mhz

i had my CPU freq at 400x9=3600 3.6 OC and the mem at the 2.0 multi which was 800mhz and i ran great there for a week or so.but then i think i needed the PSU and it shut down. so i dont truely know what they will run at just that they ran better at the lower spd.
    even at the 2.4 multi(960) still under clocked i think they ran fine.

so when i get them back if they are the 1066 i wont run them at rated speed. keep them underclocked until i get me some good 1066 mem that dont have a problem with the p35chips...once at work tonight im gonna call crucial back and ask them which mem they have that worls fine with the P35 chip

@BlivetNC.
    you guys better be on your game when you come stumbleing into cincy..lol

whats funny with all this.. they know when it is a true problem and have no problem with saying that nad trying to fix it..that is good.but they did say they dont issue any kinda refund for a third party purchase. if i was to get the DDR2 800..to be honest i dont care as long as they work without any issue.

MAN where docTY. thats one of his post there..lol

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Somehow I'm glad I only use 6400 speed memory now...

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you useing the crucial Sam?
    if so they are t ohave the same type problem with the P35 chips.
    i once again should have gone with my first instinct and gotten the corsair mem instead of the crucial

edit:
    anyone that doesnt have a P35 board. and is interested in some 1066 memory drop me a line. i will soon have 2 brand new still in factory box DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500)

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

hmmmmmmmmmmmm... that's interesting... You need an ODD?? We might come to some sort of arrangement.... We can continue in PM's since it's sorta personal.... :D OR by email if you're paranoid!!! :p

...gm

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

nope, I'm using Corsair XMS2 TwinX CAS4 stuff. So far so good!

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cincyrob - i must've hit lucky, my P35 is an MSI Platinum, and my Crucial Ballistix are running fine at 1066 :)

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Creaky
    do you happen to know what batch number they are? how long ago did ya get them? are they single sided or double? do you have them running at the 1066 rated speed?

sorry for so many questions im just curious as hell about these things. as if i should try my new ones or just get a new set of sticks..

Sam
    Corsair is what i was gonna go with at the begining XMS2 DDR2 800.
    well you knwo what they say. "hind site is 20/20" lol live and learn

12. creaky

Rob, My Ballistix are Gold ones, double sided, batch number is 97533, for a while now i've been running them at 1:2 (FSB:DRAM ratio, just checked in CPU-Z), though i can run happily at 1:1 (extensive googling didn't answer which was the best ratio and why, i meant to ask you guys in here ages ago). i bought all the bits for this PC back in November i thibk it was..

i think 1:1 is normal speed ie 1066MHz, and 1:2 is half the FSB, but as i say i'm still none the wiser, it's not the easiest thing to google for..

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oh sammy, ye of little faith!!! It's only a few issues and NOT with Corsair RAM IIRC!! You should try some "quality" RAM for a change you cheap bugger.. j/k.. Nothing wrong with PC2-6400 especially Corsair....

Anyone gonna try Mushkin or just keep trying Corsair and Crucial?? :p

....gm

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

creaky from what I've read and "heard" it seems running at 1:1 is the best. Faster and more responsive I think was the answer from my readings. You might ask in the OC thread and let one of those gurus answer with more conviction and certainty. ;)

...gm

15. creaky

[​IMG]

yeah i think 1:1 is 1066 ie my FSB. just going to reboot so i can put it back to 1:1 before i forget...

..then i saw in the BIOS that if i set 1:1 the DRAM Frequency becomes 533. i can do the maths on the different figures.

..i'm still at 1:2 so i'm a bit confuzzled as the BIOS says 1:2 is 1066 and 1:1 is 533 - wierd

(i'm still at 1:2 and CPU-Z shows the DRAM Frequency to be 533 ie half of 1066 which means i figure the 1:2 is half ie i'm running the ram at half speed).

i will reboot and put it to 1:1 for giggles anyway as i know it works fine at 1:1...

..and guess what, 1:1 shows as 267 ie 1/4 of 1066

[​IMG]

i give up it doesn't make sense, leaving it as 1:1 ratio... for now :)

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Creaky

you have the good stuff there. they dont make those anymore. and from what the tech at Crucial told me they dont plan on bringing them back either. your good to go. you have the D9 chip in them thats what ya want.

damn he has the good mem and all the utlra sexy TY verbs..lol
    id say if you have it still at stock your running them at the 1066. i found when i OC my cpu i cant get mine to run at the 1066 at 1:1 ratio.. useing the 2.0 multi will give you the 1:1 ratio but with the OC it will be under clocked normaly.well for me it has been.
    i think if you tried to change it to 1:1 it might change the speed of them.

sam/GM
    i havent been able to find anywhere anything bad about the corsair mem xms2 800 or 1066. the dominator series i think there was some small issue with them but havent looked into them that much. YET>>>

finding out all this info about my mem. i see why sandra wouldnt pass me on the burn in test..lol

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. Another classic case of when the good go bad...

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have now. i know Mort and Russ have them. im not sure if they have run into any problems with them as of yet.i hope by the end of next week i have everything back. and able to put them all together again and see if i can get a happy family in this case..lol

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

same here xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.