1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i mostly use the SD cards i got a few. 256mb 512mb (2)1gb.the wifes dad is big into photograghy and has all the different sized cards that he lets me use.

GM
    all those drives ya linked me to are IDE...im outta the stone age now..lol, but i have looked at the sony/nec/optiarc. (what cant they deside on a name?)and the phillips. not to impressed with them too much. i still like that pioneer 215dbk even thought it dont bitset.

im gonna wait until i get my stuff back and get it together and running right (damn ive said that a few time before) before buying anything.lol

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sony and NEC are the two companies involved - Optiarc is the name of the product series from the collaboration.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't used any of those fans so I couldn't say for sure what they'd be like, however here's what I'm expecting:

First fan: low pitch noise, relatively quiet, but potentially high vibration. Realistic expected noise level 23dB
    Second fan: normal pitch noise, acceptable volume but not quiet, relatively good airflow. Realistic expected noise level 27dB
    Third fan: higher pitch noise, high volume level but excessive, good airflow. Realistic expected noise level 35dB.

5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Hey guys - havent been around in a while - hols and work (im sure most know how it is). Sorry to hear you are still having issues Rob - I recently rearranged my media setup and reorganised the fans in the case and managed to decrease my idle temps by nearly 5c on CPU and both cores and thats with an increase in the ambient temp :)

Also upgraded my laptops ram recently and got a faulty stick - so I RMA'd it with the following attachment:-

[​IMG]

They have today replied saying that they tested the stick and found it to not be faulty. As such they say Im only entitled to a 50% refund - restocking fees etc.

As you may gather I have sent a rather strong email back.

Thatll teach me to buy off ebay (even with 265000 feedback). Ended up spending an extra £5 and getting the memory from play.com

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's actually standard UK industry practice. Even if a product was physically faulty to the extent it has a visible physical defect, it would still be "not defective" and a restocking fee applied. You usually have to take companies to court to return faulty goods.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    It's the Sata drives that are in the stone age. All they offer is the interface with no advantage in performance whatsoever. Bloody waste of a perfectly good Sata port! I have a round IDE cable for my optical drives to replace the flat ribbon cable so it's just about as neat.

As far as the name goes the are still Optiarc's, as that's all their logo says! Sony owns 55% and NEC owns the other 45%. The design is NEC so I still tend to call them that because I've been using them for about 4 years, which was long before Optiarc became a name. Good drives! I sell a lot of them! Mostly IDEs!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i know there is no real advantage(right now)with the sata odd, its just the fact, like your board we only have 1 ide connector on the board.i now have it full with 2 ide ODD. and all those empty sata slots on the mobo(5 as of now) plus them little sata cables are real nice.

just sent off my Memeory. would be nice to get it back about the same time as my mobo. ive allready formated my HDD so it is clean and ready for a fresh OS install

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rob,

the SFF21F is scythes most popular model. shop around as I'm sure you can beat neweggs price.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

R-olling
    O-n
    F-loor
    L-aughing
    M-y
    S-illy
    O-ld
    A-ss
    O-ff

now thats funny right there i dont care who you are

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    It get's funnier! LOL!! Keep trying! ROFLMAO!!

I love challenges!!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Personally, I'm used to S-ATA cables and not big IDE cables - I don't really care that they do nothing for the performance of the drive - not having a big cable (or more importantly connector) is nice.

As for ROFLMSOAO, google only returns one page other than this one: http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=722602&page=1#4365230

Even if you do own a Nikon D70s, I'm stumped either way!
    Roflmaonaise.

13. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

"Rolling on the Floor Laughing My Skinny Ass Off"

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Point taken but the Samsung S203B is SATA. :p

Alright pinhead!!! go thru these and see what you find.... :p linky to SATA ODD's Of course there are some "cross-flashes" available in there again... :D (Philips to Lite-On btw)

....gm

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow sytyguy you came out of the aD woodwork just to say that? LOL

16. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Sh!t happens!!! And, of course, you were no help, J/K.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, as ever...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Rob was closer!! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My sore old ass off? :S

20. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm waiting on the NEC 7203S personally. I would leave the 71XX drives alone, they aren't the same drives at all. The Pioneer 215D will bitset, but you have to play Liggy and Dee yourself and use MCSE and DVRFlash to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.