1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its a toss up between the lightscribe litey and the pioneer 215dbk
    i havent seen much lightscribe stuff lately. ive heard they have improved the lightscribe technology alot.i do have 20 LS verbs that i can use. plus that drive has free shipping. but on the other hand i have been wanting that pioneer 215 also and it has come down in its prices.

i havent heard anything from gigabyte in awhile. might try and call and see about me board. lastime i didnt hear from them they had allready sent it out..lol

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG,
    Code:
    I'm waiting on the NEC 7203S personally. I would leave the 71XX drives alone, they aren't the same drives at all.
    I've had an NEC 7170A for over a year and it works fine and is much quieter than the NEC AW-Q170 it replaced. It does have one odd quirk! It doesn't identify blank DVDs, at least not +Rs! No pop up menu asking you what you want to do when you insert a blank. Doesn't seem to hurt it's performance though and it Auto-Starts burned DVDs and other media! I've sold well over 30 of them this year alone. Mine being the only one that had any problmems, and that was because of a bad Thermaltake W0093 (Rev. 1.0) PSU that went belly up taking my burner with it! The Rev. 2.0 that replaced it doesn't have the clear Lexan plastic shield covering about 1/3 of the fan on the Rev. 1.0!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the 71XX drives Russ, I just don't want one. The 72XX drives have NEC chipsets whereas the 71XX drives don't....it's just a personal preference for a fan of NEC drives to finally get a real NEC drive again.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, not reading blank +R discs sounds like a pretty big flaw... I'd probably steer clear of the 7100s too.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG,
    I used NEC drives when they were real NECs, and liked them a lot. I'm glad to see that the real NEC is finally standing up to be counted once again! I want to try a 7203S next!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well when and where can we get the 7203s's at????

lol

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I may just get a 7200s, as I haven't seen the 7203s anywhere yet!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I paid a little more than I wanted to but I am now the owner of a klipsch promedia 5.1 speaker set (supposedly in mint condition). I'm just like a kid at xmas time. I can hardley wait to get em. sure am glad I'm getting a stimulous check.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just to clear up some confusion, if there was any.... ;), the Sony/NEC/Optiarc drives listed below are NEC chipped drives. Maybe not the BEST they've released in recent years but NEC none the less. The first one is marked Sony but it is a NEC 5170 series drive and the second is a 7170 series drive but also a Sony AW-G170 series drive. It's so confusing even to me who reads more than anyone should about different drives. lol. Anyway those series drives (5170 & 7170) are true NEC chipped drives while the 7190 series are Lite-Ons.... NOT bad drives mind you but NOT NEC either. :) Ok, anyone understand what I'm talking about?? :p

Sony AW-Q170A ODD

link to AD-7170 NEC ODD

....gm

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman.. Will these Sony Drives bitset
    I know the one I have won't, I've got to change it to a LITE-ON

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick you're gonna have to help me out here. :) Which Sony drives?? The ones that I linked to or the NEW 7200 series?? I haven't made complete 100% sure on the NEW series but the others will. The ONLY thing you need to make sure of is the ability to bitset DVD+R & DVD+R DL!! Some only bitset DVD+R DL, silly I know but you gotta be aware of that. :)

.....gm

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman.. The ones your talking about

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

man i gotta play the lotto this week some time.. more good luck. i just talked to gigabyte. they are replaceing my mobo. brand new one being shiped out this week. they are going to test it before they ship it out to me.....

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sweet, keep the good times rolling!

16. saadzaman

saadzaman Member

This is a Poll asking for people opinions as to which processor i should choose AMD 5000+ Black Edition or INTEL E2200... please only post ur side an no explanation as to why... also only choose and post once, and please just don't blindly pick

The pc i am building is for gaming, for games like crysis, far cry, starcraft 2, all the nfs's, f.e.a.r., quake 4, splinter cell's, halo 3, COD 4 etc.

post if more info is needed

thanx for reply...

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Overclocking is being considered here, so I'm voting E2200.

18. saadzaman

saadzaman Member

not like max oc'ing only to like 3.15ghz 3.2ghz

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

E2200 hands down.easier to OC.
    the new E7200 would be a better choice(budget wise)

edit
    was just looking at that E8500 at the EGG..almost $100 more than the E8400 for .16ghz more. 3.0 vs 3.16

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

This is where you call when you get support from a Computer Support or Bank Support Telephone worker...

http://techtoil.org/

I thought this was interesting...

The average IT worker in the USA costs about $75,000 a year.

The average IT worker in India costs $7,779 a year. There are 1.6 MILLION IT workers in India, and India graduates 495,000 new IT workers every year.

The average IT worker in Mexico costs $17,899 a year. There are 500,000 IT workers in Mexico, and Mexico graduates 65,000 new IT workers every year.

The average IT worker in Brazil costs $13,163. There are 1,000,000 IT workers in Brazil, and Brazil graduates 100,000 new IT workers every year.

As requested with No Explanation...E2200..:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.