1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i was just checking out newegg and i noticed that the e6600 is more expensive than the e8400. e6600 is $230 and the e8400 is $200. why is the e6600 still so expensive?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's because Intel never officially lowered prices on them.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm sure it's due to the unwillingness of the retailer to reduce the price of the merchandise and loose money on the product. There are always people that want a certain "item" and are willing to pay for it... :)

....gm

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey Cincy, Mort, Greenie, Russ, Sammie, Deadrum, Shaffaaf...etc
    Good to see everyone getting along just like One Big Happy Dysfunctional Family..}:)

I have (2) Gigabyte boards...Never had a Problem...
    Have an ASUS...Never had a Problem...
    Have a DFI...Same thing...Never had a problem...

I think all 3 of these companies make some great products...and all 3 have made some real stinkers...Like they say...They can't all be Peaches..:)
    And I almost forgot Fasfrank...Where are you hiding at Frank?..Damn...Now I forgot Crowy & Alphabet...Sorry Crowy and aabbccdd

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi Lp,

good to see you and glad you could chim in on the family discussion :D

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

LP531, great to see you also hope the court battle is over? lol

still stalled on my new build

water proofing the basement(and it ain't cheap lol) is going to have to come first but i can do both

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ, asus not developing new tech?

firstly the crash free bios. i have pushed my chip to the limit and over, not once has the oc failed enough that i have had to clear cmos. every time id take it past 1.58V it would crash with a 450fbs and 1.6 on the fbst and nb, it would fail, but it would never crash the bios.

now we have the brilliant expressgate. and asus has moved to using 16 phase power, and giving the dimm slots their own phase power.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    I didn't say that, I said it was expensive to do! Asus historically has always had cash problems. It has to do with the way they set up their investments of their profits. GigaByte has bags full of money and it would be a great move for both companies. The merge in technologies should bring along some very interesting things in the future. It's also interesting to note that if a merger was to happen, Asus/GigaByte or whatever they would name it would become the largest MB manufacturer in the world, surpassing Foxcon as #1. Foxcon had tried to do a leveraged takeover of GigaByte 2 and a half years ago and failed! "Sauce for the Goose"! ROFL!! I suspect one of these days GigaByte will show up with a big bag of money, at just the right time and it will happen!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Who the HECK is this guy?? He talks like he might know something but I'm not sure... hehehe.... :) Where's YODA?? Miss him I do!!!! :D

There you have it dysfunctional family... I perfect record with all three (3) companies!! Luck of the draw, knowing what is going on, or just good products....... You guys pick the reason!!!

I think that the FANBOY comes out in us all at times and if we've had issues with a certain product we call it crap or don't buy it again... Case in point for me: MachSpeed mobos (which are crap... lol) and Thermaltake cases... I don't like either one but if someone does... good for them... and good luck too... hehehe...

Maybe some of us have gone a little overboard with our opinions BUT remember it's just that; an OPINION... Even with experience it still boils down to that... I have 2 ASUS mobos and they have been great and the GB mobo is great too... I like (notice the opinion thing) the BIOS of the ASUS better it doesn't mean that GB is bad just NOT my favorite (look again...opinion...lol).

NOW like Mr. Morty........ I'll let this rest... There's always someones dislikes and likes... LET them have it and all will be GOOD.... :D

....gm

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's quite funny really, I've never had to reset the CMOS on my Gigabyte boards, but it did happen with my P5N-E SLI, but fair's fair, what didn't happen with that board?
    However, I was also helping someone overclock an E6600 on a Striker Extreme, and even the smallest overclock sent the board on a fit and the CMOS had to be reset. We didn't bother overclocking it after that. The PC was made entirely of decent parts too... Crashfree BIOS my ass!

I don't know why the Thermalright sinks are still on the newegg site, they haven't sold them for months, if not years.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and sam, there you have pointed out two of the worst nvidia chipsets to date.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes, why is that? There's plenty of places to get the TR brand so no worries but it would be nice to one stop shop if the prices were right... :)

btw I got my Ultra-90 at Jabtech and the Ultra-120 at svc.com... good experiences so far for me at those companies... :D

...gm

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

same here. my E6600 was running daily at 3.6ghz in my P5W DH Deluxe mobo (X975 chipset). I still have the pc but it's not in use at the moment.

I sold my pc with a P4 northwood 3.4ghz and asus P4P800 SE mobo to my brother. he may let my mother use it and I'll let him use my E6600 P5W DH Deluxe rig or I'm going to let my mother use the E6600 P5W DH Deluxe rig. it's too much pc for both of them.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes you pay highly for the boards, but they are damned worth it, and IMO you keep a highend mobo for aslong as your RAM/CPU tbh, so at most 2 years. with it being stable for so long on high clocks is worth it.

hell its just worth it for the expressgate

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    You think the price is worth it? Read on!

My friend took that approach and got 3 leaker's in a row with his Striker II Extreme that cost more than $400. The 4th one wouldn't post and the latest one (#5) goes batty if you even look at it cross-eyed. It runs great at stock speeds! LOL!! The minute you try and overclock it or fool with the video settings for SLI, it's BSOD City! He's less than pleased, as he didn't spend that kind of money for a perfectly running stock speed machine! ROFL!! He's finally getting a refund and is going to try a GA-X48T-DQ6 this time. He thought about the GA-X48-DQ6, but since he already had the DDR3, he's going with the "T" model.

I want to try Sam's EX38-DS4 motherboard next, and see what it can do. I recommended one to a Doctor/customer I know who's a big time gamer and he tells me he took his E6850 to just over 3.8GHz on it, and hasn't even fiddled with the fine adjustments yet. All he said is that it was never this easy before, and he's built a number of higher end gaming computers before this one! I also hear lots of good things about this motherboard on the net! We'll see!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and once again.....NVIDIA CHIPSET

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you never got these problems with Asus boards for the X975 onwards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.