1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes thats a good price for it abuzar1. not the $19 i wound up paying for mine..lol i just looked at SVC.com they had them for like $54 a while back. but are $69 now. try and look at buy.com i dont know if they would have it or not. if you can get it for under $70 that is real good deal for it i think.

edit to add
    boozer i just looked at buy.com they have it for $60 but its sold out right now... keep checkin

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

seems funny that the only asus mobos anybody can badmouth are those with nvidia chipsets. sounds more like a chipset problem. I have to admit that even I, if going with a nvidia chipset (which I never will) would go EVGA.

an asus striker II extreme to a gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 is not a fair comparison. why doesn't he go with a gigabyte with a nvidia chipset? you're comparing apples to oranges. the intel chepsets are superior IMO. you don't hardly hear any complaints about asus mobos with intel chipsets. he would be tickled pink with an asus mobo that utilizes a current intel chipset.

cmon, lets talk about the problems with the asus mobos with the intel X975, P35, X38 or X48 chipset. or even 865PE chipset for that matter. forget about nvidia. you don't know what your missing but as long as you're happy.........................

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

exactly. all i have heard is badmouth nvidia chips, but blame assu for that.

im sure all the benchers, and reviews are wrong aswell

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I wouldn't have an nvidia chipset shoved up my......... well you know.

I have to admit, if building for somebody else, and on a budget, I might go with gigabyte mobo. there would have to be absolutely no OC'ing though. I can't stand their bios's (or lack of).

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

unnecessary comment removed

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

boozer that one for $90 is with a PSU. 500w extreme power. like the one i had//// ;)~

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    If the chipset doesn't do the job as seems to be the case with the Striker Extreme at the moment, then what good is spending $450 (at newegg) for one? A better question is why did Asus release such a terrible but promising MB on an unsuspecting public in the first place? They had to know that there would be lots of problems for the people who bought them. People don't spend that kind of money for a MB without darn well planning on overclocking it!
    Well they're the ones selling them when they know that they are not right! Get it reasonably right first and then release it. That has everything to do with Asus and nothing to do with the chipset manufacturer!

We both know that eventually it should all come right, so why piss people off by releasing it when it's clearly not ready. Again, not the Chipset maker's fault!

Mort81,
    I understand it a completely different chipset, but that doesn't make it apples and oranges. The whole point is that the Intel chipset does the job, while the nVidia chipset just isn't ready for prime time yet, so why offer it for sale until it is?

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol Unnecessary comment removed.

Rob, it says that it doesn't come with a PSU. I will be getting a Corsair 650TX anyway.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I just noticed that if I get that PSU and case then we will have the same ones! lol

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well if you only plan on putting a P4 or such in it you will be ok with that PSU...

besides i dont have it anymore...lmao

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No I'm talking about the 650TX.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yup same as me then.. that PSU is sweet. you will have plenty long enough cables for that case. for sure.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

AAAGGHHGHG I can't play games anymore!!!!

I really want to hold off on building a new computer, but this sucks!

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, after shipping it costs me a lot more. Also there is practically no point in buying a E6850 now when a Q6600 or E8400 can be had for almost the same price.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I thought the RC-690 was like $82 delivered from eGoodz.com.... ;) It was $89 from buy.com and you get a $10 dollar coupon or something....

btw it's not like the E6850 is crap you know.. :p .. PLUS I didn't realize that a lot the "older" Intel cpus had come down so much.. it's only been a week or so since I remember looking.. wow..

....gm

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

so russ, now you saying only asus are at fault for releasing a mobo with a bad chipset? i guess xfx evga msi etc never released one?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: I have the X38-DS4, and NOT the EX38-DS4. From what I read, despite being newer, the latter seems to have more issues.

Shaff: Really stick up for Asus don't you? Alright then, explain to me why my A8R-MVP board reboots itself six times before it POSTs when cold? That's an ATI chipset.

Gigabyte don't even make proper SLI boards, at all, they just don't do it. One can't help but wonder why that is.

nvidia chipsets are ass, I think we're all agreed on that one. Should we blame Asus for this fact? No, not really. What doesn't help though, is that if you did make the mistake and want to take it back, the manufacturer's warranty is all but useless. Worse still if you bought it from somewhere like OcUK or MicroDirect who can't be arsed with warranties.

If you had to be foolish and get an nvidia chipset, I'd say go with an XFX board using a 7 series chipset - those seem to be less prone to issues - EVGA's track record just doesn't seem that good lately. The highest rated 780i board on newegg is an EVGA, but then the highest rated motherboard of all is the P5N-E SLI. I lol'ed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.