1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you get a bit over a dozen memory choices with the higher end Gigabyte boards, 2.00 for three straps and 2.4, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 i think for four straps. I think it's just one of each for the p35 boards. As far as I'm concerned if that means no black holes, so be it!

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

again, dividers. why can't they just give you frequency choices?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I read somewhere that it was those that gave you frequency black holes because the calculations couldn't be exact. Is there any truth in that?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've never had any problems with black holes. with all my memory frequency choices I never had the need to overclock or underclock my memory more than 5mhz while OC'ing on this mobo. I've never had a reboot due to a memory problem.

I did have a couple reboots while OC'ing but it wasn't due to the memory. not enough vcore once, then not enough NB voltage. none were bad enough that I had to reset the CMOS.

my mobo overvolted the NB and SB voltage quite a bit on auto and I was tring to lower them manually. my NB voltage now is lower than it was on auto. it's 1.55v now and it was 1.602v on auto. I left the SB voltage on auto and upped the FSBT voltage just a hair for stability reasons.

it boots 1st time everytime now at 4.0ghz. memory at 1068mhz and 5-5-5-15.

edit: ghz instead of gb

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    No we shouldn't blame any manufacturer for the chipset being lousy, but we should rightly so blame them when the release a product that's not ready for release as is the case with the Striker Extreme II! It would cost me a whopping $491.62 with tax and shipping to buy a product the manufacturer knows isn't close to right yet! Sure, it has all the bells and whistles and all those fine adjustments, but what good are they if they don't work or crash the machine when you try to use any of them?

As far as the P5N-E SLI being the highest rated motherboard, whoever's saying that needs to get off the drugs! Both the DS3L and the higher priced DS3R outsold it by more than 2 to 1, and they came out well after the P5N-E! Everywhere I look, the P5N-E's ratings suck! How come very few P5N-Es ever equaled the performance that both Tom's Hardware and Anandtech blew us all away with when they first tested them? Those "chosen" few that actually got high overclocks were all the oldest boards from the first series produced. Why? Having spent most of my life involved with Consumer, Medical and Dental electronics and dealing with electronics manufacturers all over the world, the answer is simply "Cost"! I've looked over the original that was bought when it first came out thanks to a Dentist in Rialto I know who has one and there's more components on the older MB and the quality is better compared to the later revisions. An educated guess is that someone got the sums wrong on the cost projections and it wound up costing too much to manufacture for the price they were selling it for, to show a profit. Asus would have been a lot smarter if they had just raised the price for the MB and stuck with the original specs! Instead they chose to "cheapen" all the good out of it thereby alienating hundreds of end users!

The present P5N-E is still a piece of junk today! Still has horrible memory problems and doesn't overclock worth a flip! It's like Dejavu reading the reviews. Here we are 14 months down the road from when I had all my P5N-E problems and the complaints are still the same! Memory issues, memory socket issues, can't populate all 4 memory slots, BSODs, Black Holes, SLI problems and all manner and sorts of crashes and lockups. I won't even work on one! Whoever reported that the P5N-E SLI was the highest rated motherboard needs to go to the Doctor to get his head removed from his ass!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Please Theone, tell us how you REALLY feel...LOL

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ....spot on about the P5n-e, but your still blaming asus for releaseing them, (they did sell even with problems in hand) but no other company is getting any blame such as xfx or egva from you.

and have you got links to the sales?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Deadrum, you're no aD officionado unless you're used to Russ' long posts. He takes after brobear before him! :)
    Shaff: I don't just blame Asus, I blame EVGA too because the quality of their boards seems to have taken a turn for the worse lately. I have no quarrel with XFX though as I think I only know of two people on the site having had to RMA XFX products in my entire time here.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im backing you here sam, i know you dont just go after Asus, i specified that to russ.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wasn't really an argument, more an explanation, but yeah.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    You are making me look like this is personal, and it's not! I'm not blaming Asus for the problems with the Striker Extreme II motherboard! It has the potential to be a great motherboard! I'm blaming them for making the decision to market a product known by Asus, not to be up to scratch in the first place! If it had been your $491.62 that you spent for one, you would be outraged with Asus too! When my friend mentioned that he was trying to overclock it they told him that it's guaranteed to run at the rated speed of the Processor and memory, and since it does all that, no RMA is needed! He only got a refund because the SLI didn't work right either! Trust me when I say, this guy's no pushover and has pockets deep enough to do something about it, if need be!

My sole complaint with Asus in all of this is the decision to market the Striker Extreme II in spite of knowing that it's just not ready to sell yet!

Respectfully,
    Russ

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The classic case of "if in doubt, lawsuit"...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    OK! Lets get logical here! GigaByte is way too smart of a company than to make a claim like that without proof! They didn't come from relative obscurity 2+ years ago to becoming a major force in the Motherboard market by doing stupid things! No, GigaByte has the proof, I'm sure of it and I have a pretty good idea what that proof is. I want to see what others think before I say a word. If I'm right, then all of this Lawsuit stuff has just become an extremely interesting opening move, in a very interesting Game of Chess!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

brilliant(!) fist nvidia intel now this. lets see how this folds out and what party is lying

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well my new mobo will be here wednesday the 21st.also its the 2.0 version that i requested. hopefully i will get my mem friday or so...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, fingers crossed for you Rob, hopefully this time you'll be able to relax with a stable PC! :)

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

he did give me some god info to. my board they kept. they havent found anything wrong with it. they are now trying differnet CPU's and mem sticks. he also said that the ddr2 1066 mem isnt 100% supported on this board. meaning the crucial i have isnt supported (the 1066 that is) when these boards first cameout the 1066 mem was still in the newere phases and they werent tested as much as the ddr2 800 and such. but he specificaly said the crucial ballistix 1066 isnt supported. buthe did say if i got them and under clocked them to 800 i would be fine...

im gonna look into what actual 1066 mem is supported for this board. if anything i can get a 1gb kit(2 x512) and have me 3gb's of mem...is there a big difference in the 3gbs of mem vs 2gbs

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting. I don't think there were any problems with my P35C-DS3R on 8500 stuff. I think the guy I sold it to is using Corsair though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.