1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

if its corsair id say its fine. he mainly said crucial ballistix.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I hope it goes really well this time. I'm stuck with this old computer and I hate it.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

[​IMG]

There's the list for your NEW mobo. :p AND as you notice Crucial isn't on the list of 1066 compatible RAM.... :D Neither is Mushkin... hehehe. :p

rob you might look at this list and see what you think about some of these 1066 RAM sticks! NOT 100% sure on all of them but I think they are good to go with your mobo. :)

link to 1066 RAM for Senior Roberto

hth.....

....gm

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just looked at the same list you posted GM. i didnt even see the 2gb kits on there. hell i didnt even see the ddr2 800 crucial on there either.. think i might bestuck with this mem. and need to get other(corsair)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    What a bunch of stiffs and slackers! LOL!! No one wants to say what they think is the deal behind the Asus/GigaByte war, so I guess I will!

Asus will grumble and moan about being defamed and all that crap, but they will never sue over this! GigaByte caught Asus "Fudging" a bit on the facts, and there's not a blessed thing Asus can do about it! As I thought the case would be, GigaByte has samples of the motherboards in question and they are marked with the EPU logo, and both models contain no EPU and were shown to have no where near the amount of energy savings claimed on the package they came in! In fact they were no match for the EP35-DS3Ls that GigaByte used in the power saving comparison! This was all done live, right in front of the press. Asus keeps talking about the P5Q series motherboards having all the advertised features, but the the P5Q series aren't the MBs in question. In the end, it will all come down to being a "Pre-Production" error of some type where some motherboards were incorrectly marked with the EPU Logo! Lying is such an ugly word, so who knows whether it was an accident or not? GigaByte discovered the error and like any good competitive business would do these days, they exploited it to their best advantage!

Gimble would have done the same to Macy without batting an eye!

Here's some brand new today statistics on Who's Who in the motherboard market. I would recommend keeping the link as the statistics are updated daily. They also show stats for MB Chipsets for both Intel and Amd!
    http://www.canardplus.com/statscpuz-cm-en.html

BTW, this information was extremely difficult to find! One site cheerfully informed me that I could have all the information that I requested for $1275! ROFLMAO! The database also contains statistics on CPUs and memory as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman & cincyrob,

GM! You forgot these!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043
    They are on the approved list. There's other memory like G.Skill that is approved but not on the list too. Seeing as how my Dominators run at 1066 @2.1v and remain very cool doing it, I highly recommend them over the XMS!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@russ
    ive been eye ballin them alot. i just need to see if the ddr2 800 works for me. the tech at gigabyte i talked to tonight he said i should have any problem out of them 800 sticks. if thats the case i can get the same mem in a 1gb kit(2x512) and i will go with 3gb of mem. i think the egg has them on sale right now for $54

gotta get all my install disc handy get everthing together and have some fun. would be nice if i got my mem friday seeing im off work friday-monday.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    First off, you never want to go 3 sticks! By doing so you lose more than you can gain. Using 3 sticks forces the memory to run single channel, which is much slower. Dual channel only works in pairs! Either 2 slots or 4!

As far as the 1066 Dominators go, they are guaranteed to run at 1066 at 2.1V, and mine do, day in, day out! If you can't get a decent enough OC from the 800 memory, you can't very well complain or worse, be able to do anything about it then, can you? To my eyes, that's enough reason right there to go with the Dominators, and they have a new rebate promotion so with the MIR, they cost only $64!

Only my opinion of course, but to me it's the smart choice!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    oh i wouldnt have just 3 sticks of mem. it would be 2 x1gb sticks and 2 x 512 sticks total of 4 sticks in dual channel. 3gb of mem

with just the 2 DDR2 800 sticks i should easly get my 3.6ghz oc.
    even the gigabyte tech i talked to lastnight said the same thing.
    400mhz x 9 =3600=3.6ghz oc then set the mem at 1:1ratio (2.0 multi) thats 800mhz what they are. Shouldnt be a problem with them. I hope not anyway.

once i get everything back, and running i will take it up some and see how the mem reacts. if they work right then im not gonna worry about it for a while. it will be nice haven a puter that works finally. lmao and that aint no laughing matter..

i also talked to the tech about the ctrl + F1 to get into the advanced bios. i told him i didnt have to do that to get into it on the 2.1revision. and he said that was correct the newest revision they made it so you didnt need to do that. so i take it with the 2.0 revision im getting tomorrow i will have to do that.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, thanks for the link Russ, very impressive. I find it quite lol how nvidia chipsets are on the down and how DFI and Gigabyte are slowly stealing market share from Asus...

Well, I caved. Sick of waiting for the HX620W unit to be in stock, I cancelled and got the 520W from another retailer - that way I do actually save £9, and I get it tomorrow rather than heaven knows when... :)

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heck sam why didnt ya go with the TX650w? or did ya want the modular??lol

just talked with the crucial people my mem is being sent out today and this is what they are sending me

"2-1GB 240-PIN UNBUFF DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-6400 CL4 16CHIP"

but i doubt i will have them by friday or even saturday. i doubt they will send them out with 3 day shipping

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TX has a much steeper noise to power usage curve than the HX units, so for a gaming PC, I need to buy the HX for it to remain quiet under high load, certainly while I'm still using Crossfire. The Modular is a bonus, but isn't really why I bought the unit - I do after all already have a decent PSU, but wanted the Corsair purely so I don't have to listen to that annoying ticking noise day in day out. My server's PSU is far from silent either and probably works out a dB or two noisier than the Thermaltake, but because it's a much smoother noise, it's far easier to fall asleep with.

Corsair HX: 22dB up to 300W, 29dB at 400W
    Corsair VX: 21dB up to 200W, 22dB up to 250W, 26dB up to 300W, 35dB at 350W, 44dB up to 400W
    Corsair TX: 21dB up to 250W, 23dB up to 300W, 38dB at 400W.

The maximum my PC draws at DC is 320W, so based on these readings I'm not sure where to place the sound level, but given the vast difference between 300W and 400W with the TX, there'll probably be some slope-up. One thing's for sure, don't use dual graphics with a VX! Yes, it'll take it, but man will it be noisy! At full load the VXes also reach 50dB, which none of the other Corsairs will do, even at full load...

Interestingly, the TX and VX units are less efficient than the HX at load level, typically managing 80-82% versus the 84-85% of the HX, yet at idle levels of around 90W, the HXes are less efficient - pulling 76-77% versus the 80% of the VX and 82% of the TX...

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ you were saying about asus' innovations becoming harder to make well this should lift that myth:

http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/H1_'...AH3870X2_and_XFX_GeForce_9800_GX2/5766-6.html

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Innovative yes, but a good idea? Why wasn't it done using 3870s?

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no not a good idea, even they said its not feasible economically, but the only point of doing it was to show off their engineering skills.

im not sure about the answer to your second question, but im pretty sure, its because its a non retail thing, and seeing as there was an X2, they wanted to show off with something else.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I couldn't help but notice that VR-Zone immediately installed a watercooling system on the card before taking tests. What cooler did the card come with. It doesn't sound like it was any good.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

(asus' cooling, IS that water cooling)

xD

they, asus, made the card WITH that water cooling intact

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

the Thermaltake Bigwater? Wow, it really was a play-around...

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yep. basically they were just showing off what they can do, nothing more.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol I just spotted how loud the Bigwater is - ugh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.