1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I brand the nforce 6 and nforce 7s as universally not very good based on the performance of the original Striker. However, my first Asus board was nforce 4 based, and I know plenty of people with other nforce 4 boards (some of them DFIs, funnily enough) who didn't experience any issues - my A8N board went south even quicker than the P5N-E did.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i hear you m8, and TBH i would never get the Vanilla Asus ranges aka P5K, P5K-SE, or event he P5K-C. BUT the P5K Pro and P5K-E have some delicious reviews, and i can persoanlly comment on the P5K-E.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i hear everyone, and everyone is right in what they say, what they say is how they feel from there run ins with different parts.its allways gonna be like that....myself the parts i like best..oh never mind....lmao

GM
    excited isnt the word for it. mobo should be here in a few hours then the ram maybe thursday no later than friday. so im like a rooster in a hen house. happier than a pea in a pod, excited as a fatman with a plate full of cake...ect...you get the point..

yea im gonna stick with the DDR2 800 if it works out right for me. which i think it will.
    im just wondering if gigabyte is sending the whole box of stuff with the mobo. will the instal CD for the 2.1version work with the 2.0 version they are sending me??

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh glory days....the mobo is here. brand new and shiney 2.0 revision.

now all i need is my memory. should be here tomorrow..YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good good. Glad it's going well!

My HX 520W is up and running in my main PC, and I can tell you, it's unimaginably quieter than the Thermaltake. It's also amazingly small by comparison. The only noise from my case now is the two graphics fans, and I'm soon going to try out an Accelero S1 rev 2 on them. Yes, the case fans will have to be upped a bit, but that's doable, I've established the sort of noise they'll make and it's preferable to the grind of the stock cooler and the hum of the Asus one - the latter is a perfectly respectable noise, but the damn fan runs at 100% all the time, and the card runs unnecessarily cold. If i could adjust the speed, I'd have no need to replace the cooler.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you tried using riva tuner to adjust?

and what happened to the TR GPU HSs?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I was going to go with an HR-03GT, but they're £30, versus the £15 of the Acceleros, and from what I've heard, the latter are nearly as good, plus they don't take up as much space.

As for the GPU fan speed, I use Rivatuner to adjust the speed on the stock one, but the Asus one doesn't budge, because it doesn't have a voltage control, it's literally one of those 2-pin fans just wired straight up to the 12V.

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the continued support. I didnt know that about using RAID and the SATA ODD's. I did originally try to setup RAID 5 but I couldnt get a file to copy and I didnt have it setup right and gave up, undid everything I did (I thought). It was something I was going back to later once I got the problem diagnosed. Reinstalling Windows to setup RAID wont be a problem, I have minimal programs setup on this new machine with a KVM to my old reliable so I'm not hurting.

Mort--I might be letting you (asking you dumb questions more like LOL) help me squeeze every ounce from this setup. Only because you and others have questions about its potential, not for selfish reasons of course...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    I would appreciate a better explanation than that in a PM, please. The only thing I put any sort of spin on was about the more forgiving thing, and it was a true and correct statement. Where the line is drawn between both ways of looking at it, I have no idea!

Rob's right! any number of components can cause all sorts of problems and issues in any computer. Unfortunately it's the MB that takes the heat most times! That's why I ask customers if they recently installed anything new!

Send me that PM, Please. If I've misrepresented anything I'll be more than happy to say I'm sorry!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, it did seem a little unfair. Russ' comments about the 3850 trinity were a little harsh, but they were true, and you know it.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

let it be known let it be said Big RED is no longer dead...

yup The Big Red machine is offically off the Disabled list and is now known as day to day... it might even be back in the starting lineup tomorrow night..

just got done putting it all bakc together with AS5. all i need now is my memory.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I got my Klipsch Promedia 5.1's today and all I can say is WOW. my good ole bridged David Hafler home stereo amps are going to feel unappreciated and lonely. I was shocked by the size of the subwoofer. as with all Klipsch products, these are for the true music enthusiast. rappers need not apply :) oh they do go loud but its the reproduction quality that makes them stand apart from others.

as with any 5.1 system, while listening to music, I turn the center channel way down so not to obstruct the left and right channel stereo seperation. music such as Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Boston, chicago and the list goes on, sounds amazing as they do/did with my Promedia 2.1's only better with these. as expected there's considerably more thump from the 2 8" long throw subwoofers driven by their independant 170 watt bash mosfet amplier. I can't imagine what the ultra's sound like as they are improved. ok, I'll stop rambling. I'm tickled to say the least.

Deadrum,

I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can. bear in mind that I am not familiar with you bios but if you let me know what features and settings you have, I'm sure we can make that Q9450 perform. I'll probably even download the manual for your mobo to familiarize myself with it a litte. drop me a PM when you get ready to bump her up and thanks for your consideration and confidence in me.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, I was shocked at how much louder the centre speaker was than the front left/right on my Z-5500s. I also note the rear speakers were louder too, presumably to compensate for being further away? Either way the Centre and the Rear pair of speakers have their own volume controls, so it's easily adjustable, although having individual control over them would be nice it would be a bit tedious to scroll through the whole menu for them all.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, nice. Seeing it up close, I personally think the colour accuracy on the Dells is better, but the L3065 is still an admirable monitor. I'm guessing you got it cheap?

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yup and it's up for sale, STILL brand new. If anyone wants it I'm selling it for 1 grand.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, I figured you wouldn't be keeping it - it's too nice for Abuzar to actually hold on to it!

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha, I was considering it but I would prefer the cash.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Suppose if you're never going to hang onto a decent PC to use it with, there's no point hanging onto a monitor to use with one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.