1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW that's just wrong!!! You'd need to paint him Green and Yellow to send him to Oakland.... hehehehee. :p

Thanks Morty.. Your right about the TRU(E) of course and I think I could find something to do the trick. ;) Unless something phantasmagorical shows up other than the ASUS Rampage I'll only have about 2-3 choices to consider for my needs... LOL. NEEDS is so objective...

....gm

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Damn, when did this whole conversation happen? lol

Anyway, I'm getting sick of my old computer. I have 950 dollar to spend so do you guys think I should build a computer right now or hold off till later?

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

boozer that depends on what you want to do with it?? IF you just want to build something to sell then you could build something for about $600-$700 or less really and make a couple of bucks and do it again. lol. NOW if you wanna build something to keep then I would wait for a few hundred more dollars to roll in and then build. JM2C but hey you asked in open forum. :p

..gm

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

did you get out the dictionary and look in the big words section? ;) ;) hehe I couldn't resist dude. only playin wit ya.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

well just avoiding my responsibilities....

BOOZER here's a little list for you.. ;)

cpu $200

psu $90-$130 601W-700W

ACF Pro 7 $34

mobo P35 choices $90-$180

mobo X38/X48 choices $185-$300

case choices $50-$135

RAM choices $29-$60

ODD's pick a couple $60

HDD $95

8800GTS $180-210

9600GT $130-145

HD3870 $145-$160

Did some adding but it's all up to which components you choose.... and I rounded stuff to the nearest dollar or close to it at least. lol.

Low priced stuff with 8800GTS comes to $738 and high priced stuff (staying with P35 mobo) comes to $974 but if you go with another mobo you are going over that $950 mark, EASY!!! I looked at a few different components and gave you some choices because I don't want to seem like a biased builder... lol. Even tho I am. :p Good luck with the "parts list". :D

This was kinda fun since it's a REAL build and not some FANTASY trying to make the BEST possible computer with MONEY ($$$$) as no object!! :) Got my juices flowing for another build..... /me slaps self back to reality!!! :D

....gm

edit: to add some psu choices... lol. gotta have some power. ;) Ok that pushes the total to $828 for the low priced stuff...

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i think i know what the mystery error is in device manager. i dont have no sound on this thing now? is that in windows setup or my GPU install disc. ive checked the mobo disc i have everything installed from there i dont know what the problem is. other than that no problems at all with it today. been running most the day. ive restarted it a few times on my own no issues....

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

You're just jealous cause you had to look up what it meant and I just had to look up how to spell it.. heheehe. :p

Now look at that list I just posted and see what's what!! :) Like I said it's got me looking at something else just for Poo-Poo's and Ha-Ha's!! :D (don't let my wife read this..... hehehe)

...gm

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob the audio drivers should come from the mobo disc assuming you haven't added an audio card... Try going into the device manager and right clicking on the "audio" drivers and removing/un-installing them and then re-install them from the mobo disc.... hth buddy...

btw you do have speakers hooked up right?? lol. Had to ask buddy... :p

...gm

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i did put in the mobo disc again and clicked on the install of the hd audio and it installed something. but i still dont have sound.yea i got the speakers pluged in. i dont even have the little speaker down in the toolbar at teh bottome right corner. heres a screen of device manager. i have the pci error opend the audio stuff open and my monitor info

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/devicemanager.png

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol Thanks for the parts list GM. I pretty much already had an idea on what I was gonna get but I've changed my mind on some things. I'm leaning towards this motherboard after seeing it so close in price to the P5E.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136047

I already have a Corsair 650TX and CM 690 on the way. I think I will be getting a Pioneer SATA DVD Burner, 250GB Seagate HDD, 8800GTS(or just GT), and a Q6600.

BTW, this works better than a Freezer 7 Pro and it's the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemList=N82E16835233003

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yo GM,

why no DDR2 1066 in your list of memory choices? what about PSU's?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I'm assuming you have installed SP-2! If you haven't you need to! Right click on the lower Question mark and remove the driver. Reboot the computer and see what happens. If you still get the ?, try upgrading the driver by right clicking on the ? and click update driver! If you don't, put the MB disk bsck in and re-install the HD Audio. If it still doesn't work right click on the ? again and reinstall the driver and have it look in the Windows/System32 folder for the driver!

greensman,
    That's Green and Gold! LOL!!

Russ

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Holy Cow I forgot the Power Supply... lol. I always forget something. So now you need to add at least $100 to the totals..... lol.

You'll like the CM RC-690, it's a bit heavy but a nice case and with some good features. ;)

The Corsair 650TX is a good choice too. I think my buddy cincyrob has that psu. ;)

....gm

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

good PSU but my vote goes to the 620HX.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK just for you a link to some 1066 RAM.... Look at those BLACK Mushkins... sexy little beasts they are!!! ;)

linky to 1066 RAM

took care of the psu link and the reason that I didn't post any 1066 RAM to begin with is that boozer normally goes for the 800 stuff. ;)

btw can you believe the price of RAM now-a-days??? WOW!!!!!

....gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, the HX is better than the TX IMO.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like the idea of modular cabling as well. I've stated it before and unless I see some definitive evidence against them I'll have modular cabling on a psu. Some don't like it but the ability to NOT use cables you can do w/o it gives you a much cleaner and "less" full case. ;)

What do you guys think about the Antec Quattro psu? If you guys have any other suggestions for modular please state them... it's nice to have more than 2 companies to recommend. :D

....gm

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Despite the fact that I've just sold mine, I'd still recommend the Thermaltake Toughpower units. Very stable, to the average person still relatively quiet, bootloads of power. Yes, they're not true multi-rail, but that's probably an advantage for a PSU that powerful.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Russ, it was me.

IMO for the UK (i should have written) it is BFG. XFX dont have a centre int he UK IICR, so id rather not stick with them.

In the US though, im sure this is different.

thats another reasopn i try and stay away from corair PSUs sam. although they are one of the best around, shipping one for an RMA to the US will cost a mortgage :p

and boozer, imo, wait for the new cards. 3 weeks left.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not going to be cheap, but I'd sooner have a PSU I'm not going to have to RMA in the first place. Incidentally I read that a lot of the lower rated Enermax Modu82 units have had quality control problems... Perhaps I won't be using one of them after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.