1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It comes out cheaper after rebates. Plus, cas5 for 800Mhz is a bit too much.

Also just throwing it out there, I just bought a CM 690 for myself. It looks like it could have excellent airflow going through the case.

2. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

OOOOHhhhhh, I didn't see the rebates. I guess it is cheaper.
    The CM 690 got really good reviews on Newegg. You said you just bought one right? Is it quiet?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't know, I don't have it yet.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have the RC690 it is nice and quiet qith the right set of fans.and great to work with.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Also quietness is very relative. What I consider quiet might drive Sam crazy. It may be because I have slight tinnitus(from all the music I guess, lol!) so complete silence is at the least annoying for me. I need a little noise because it helps me take my mind of the fact that my ears ring all the time. So I don't think you should trust me on the quietness of a case.

6. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, actually the CM COSMOS 1000 you recommended seems amazing. I can get it for about 160 including shipping, which isn't too bad.

I have two more questions, though:

1. Is the 12MB Cache in the Intel Q9450 a big impact compared to the 8MB in the Q6600.
    2.Do you know of a motherboard that is under $200, is an OK OCer, and is good for my build?
    Thanks.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The Chakra is a great case for airflow and noise...It is of similar quality to the 690...I have built several computers with the 690 case...The Chakra is just a better case in my opinion...Now the Mystique is a better quality case...but does not have the airflow...The Chakra for $35 is going to be tough to beat...That 250mm fan makes it one of the best cooling cases I have ever used...
    Even if they were all the same price...I would take a Chakra over a...
    Antec 900
    Cooler Master 690
    Cooler Master Mystique

Now the Cosmos...I have not used one...however I have heard that they are not that good for airflow...they have some air flow design issues that have keep me away from using one...they are quiet...and have excellent build quality...they just do not do a good job of cooling all your expensive components...jm2c...

@boozer
    Curious...how can you flash a X38...and get a X48...out of it...I am assuming you meant you can get it to a maximus...not a rampage...by a bios flash...

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

MK44, Yes the 12MB cache helps, but not that much. Especially considering the price difference and the fact that after you overclock it, you can get better performance. Of course you could overclock the Q9450 as well, but there is still that price difference for maybe a 7 percent performance difference.

On the motherboard thing, I would get this. I have used one and I took a Q6600 to 3.6Ghz with it, and a E6750 to 4Ghz.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086&Tpk=ga-ep35-ds3r

LP, I meant Rampage formula, the X48 version. Think of the difference between the X38 and X48 as the difference between a E6750 and a E6850. It's essentially the same thing running at different speeds. So when you flash it to Rampage formula you are essentially OCing it, in addition to getting the great BIOS of the Rampage formula.

EDIT: I just noticed who I was replying to. Welcome back LP! Haven't seen you around for a while. How is your lucrative business doing?

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

LP: Can you give me a link to the Chakra you are talking about? I looked on newegg and found a regular Chakra and the "uber" chakra. I also read in a review that the cosmos has pretty good airflow because of the bottom intake fans and the extra space after everything is set up. I have narrowed my choices down to those two cases.

Abuzar: Thanks for the link to the mobo. Looks like I'll be getting that with the Q6600. I hope it has enough USB headers for me though.

Last question: Should I get the older 8800GTS cards w/640MB, or the newer G92 cards w/ 512MB?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2008
  10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey Boozer,
    Doing Good so Far...I guess I need to bring Yoda Back...
    I did not realize the X38...& X48 were so similar...that...the bios from one...would work with the other...

The Uber is taller and more expensive...The regular Chakra is what I was talking about...The

I have heard of severe overheating issues within the H/Drive...and GPU sections of this case...I believe it just has a poor airflow design in general...Looks Great...It just does not work well in the real world...

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol Are you joking?! That motherboard has so many USB headers! It has 8 in the back and can support up to 4 in the front.

Also, as far as raw cooling goes the Cosmos is very good, but not the best. The Other cases(Antec 900, CM 690) will probably cool better. I know for sure that the Antec WILL cool better, not quite sure on the CM 690.

About the graphics card question, the 8800GTS 512MB is miles ahead of the 640MB version.

EDIT: Well I can see the trademark ellipses, just need Yoda.

12. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

You guys have been the biggest help ever. Thank you so much. I have pretty much gotten everything I need down.
    For the case, I'll just do a little more research and come up with a decision between the Chakra and the Cosmos. By the way, do you know or can you give me a link to the Chakra LP is talking about? Because I found like 5 different kinds....

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

That was it Boozer...hence the link...

Here is the same model with Silver Trim...$10 cheaper...I personally like the all black case...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124116

@mrk44
    I would really try to go with PC-8500 memory...over the PC-6400...with the price difference so minimal...its a No Brainer...Right Now...

I have tried to add my sig back...but it is not showing...creaky does it take awhile for your sig to show up...after saving the changes?..

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey there LP,
    Good to see you around the thread again. Hope everything worked out all right for you. Last I heard you were going to Court.

I agree 100% with your answer to mrk44. My way of looking at it is that 1066 memory is guaranteed to run at 1066. And while some people have overclocked Crucial Ballistix 800MHz that high. If you can't, tough beans as you can't very well complain, plus you are stuck with them!

I recommend these to anybody wanting 1066 memory:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043
    I have my computer running at 3.55GHz and with the 444MHz fsb setting and the 2.40 memory multiplier they run at 1066 on the nose. They run barely warm to the touch at 2.1v at 5-5-5-15 and give no problems, and the memory bandwidth has jumped up to over 8000MB/s. I lucked out and got them for $54 with the $40 MIR!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah except he wants 4Gb of RAM. Anyway, if you are getting a Quad Core with a 9x multi you don't really need 1066mhz RAM.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

LP,

yes there is a bios flash that will allow you to flash the P5E to rampage formula bios. however, I'm not sure if it is an actual rampage formula bios or a patched version. the main differece between the X38 chipset and the X48 chipset is the X48 is better binned, therefor a P5E (X38) with rampage formula bios is still not as good as the true rampage formula (X48) but it's as close as you can get and is much better.

BTW, I don't have a Q6600. I have an E3110 and an E6600. I am not qualified to answer the question you asked me earlier.

abuzar,

the Q9450 is quite a bit more cpu than the Q6600. not only is it 260mhz faster stock and 45nm vs 65nm but it not only has 4M more L2 cach but the L2 cach is not shared like it is with the Q6600. thus the reason it costs significantly more. the Q9450 will OC just as high as the Q6600 and then some.

if I was going to go with a mobo and could only afford to spend around $225 I would go with an asus P5E and flash it with rampage formula bios. asus bios's have spoiled me.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but for half the Price the Q6600 is worth it.

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey Russ,
    Those were the same sticks I originally recommended to him...those are what he should get...he does not need the 4GB's...If he still feels he needs the extra memory...then I would recommended the same models...in 2GB sticks...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR with DHX Technology TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2 Memory Retail ***Free Shipping*** $159 with $40 Rebate $118.80 after MIR
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDet...ctCode=10008006

Yea..Courts Over...Won the case...it still cost me around $63,000...to defend my self...the only real winners were the attorneys...I will fill you in on it all in a PM...

I should have the final approved construction plans by next week...probably can start on the New House by mid June...hopefully back in by November...

@boozer
    So...would that be an accurate take on the chips?..

I've had no time to keep up on computers in the last 6 months...this festival is kicking my ass...Its not easy to throw a party for 80,000 people...

@mort
    Now thats a Lie..:) You may not have a Q6600...but I am sure you are qualified to answer just about any question I could ask..:)

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes that's an accurate take. The X48s perform better but it's essentially the same chip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.