1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@Lp531 & BigDK

Thanks for the explanation. I also looked into what and why it was developed and apparently it is nothing new. The whole 8 Pin is known as "EPS12V." It was developed, as both you've said, to provide a more constant/stable current to Multi-CPU systems. Hence the 4 pin, is known as the Pentium 4 cable/plug, because it is a derivative of the EPS12V port/cable made for the P4. The 6 pin cable that we now associate for PCI-e cards is yet another derivative of the EPS12V. So for those building a new system, if your motherboard has the EPS12V plug, you may be better off getting a PSU that also has this plug. I believe that BigDK is probably right about the Quad Core processors benefitting from the additional current.

PSU's are labeled as having a EPS12V cable. Hope this clears things up a bit for everyone, that didn't know...including myself.

Cheers!

2. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

You know so much about that stuff :). now i know that motherboars supports quad core too thats why it got 2x4 pin. Im gonna get dual core cpu so i just need to connect one 4 pin. thanks for explanation about that and about hard drives in raid.:)

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'm probably going to get a P5B Deluxe as well as a replacement for my DQ6, so I'll be able to help you set it up with some hands on experience as well.

I'm just waiting for a supplier to confirm the stock they are shipping has the C2 chipset (rev 1.04G).
    Before you worry about that, it isn't going to make much difference if you get a C1 board, both are very good, it's just my DQ6 ended up being a rev 1 and I'm not getting another one after that.

4. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Thats great :) BigDK.
    Im trying to choose momory for that motherboard. In that motherboard specifications i have found weird feature :

"Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC ap proved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6 -6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets"

Now im not sure wich memory can i take?. Can it just be DDR2-800 ? or it must have specified operation timing?

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I had my Dominator 8500 memory running on the 965 chipset board.
    It works fine at DDR900 4-4-4-12, I also know it will work at DDR1000 5-5-5-15 on the same board.

The only thing you're probably need to do is set the memory voltage manually rather than using the default 1.8V set on the board.
    I have mine set to 2.10 at DDR800 but it will run up to 2.5V without a problem.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Big DK
    I hope you did not think I was criticizing you...
    You swim in Waters...that I only Wade into...

@sarthak14
    No I am not irritated at you...Just at my Back and Neck...Pinched Nerves...

I had just assembled list from 4 shops to get the price down around what we had talked about...It shaved about $500 off going with one supplier...

Here is a explanation of some of the different Raid configurations...
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

Will post your shopping list a little latter...need to rest the back...

8gigs of memory is not necessary...It is hard to find quality sticks with good timings...uber expensive...you would almost be at $2500 for memory and hard drives alone...if you were looking at getting (5)750 HD (1) 160 Raptor & (4)2gig sticks of memory...

You just need to pare down your expectations...Trust me...if you buy what I will list...you will have an amazing machine...for the price...

It would cost you at least...twice as much...from a pre-assembled dealer...

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi no problems I'm not above being pulled up when I get things wrong.

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

P5B now ordered, should be 1.04G not 1.03G version but Scan can't 100% confirm (fingers crossed).
    Decided to get P5B over Commando, as there are too many RMAs required on the Commando at the moment for some strange reason, they're getting a reputation as the quality memory killer, and the squeaker with strange noises coming from the board 9similar to what happened with my DQ6) that made strange noises as well before dying.
    Turns up Tuesday hopefully, so will be able to start giving some feedback after that.
    Long term plan is to phase cool the CPU and to water cool the chipset and GPU with the RAM being cooled by the Airflow fan.
    If that doesn't OC well nothing will.

9. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

What do you think about that memory?
    Kingston® HyperX® PC2-8500 Ready (default overclock at 1066 MHz)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134217
    its asus recommendation for asus p5b deluxe motherboard.
    but its not cheap:/. Im not sure exactly what momory brand choose.

On other forum someone told me that got same mobo and got same problem in the past he tried 3 different memory sticks and only 1 worked (but those were kingston 2x 512mb) and other one crashed after 1 hour.
    i dont really want to experiment and to crash some memory:/.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  10. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

All

All this talk about OC'ing and new systems have given me the itch to ditch my 3 month old ABIT IP-95 board which sports a very stable but stubborn VIA P4M890 chipset. I know that the potential of my E6300 has yet to be revealed especially on this board, I got it so that I could salvage my DDR400 chips. Anyways, could some of you guys tell me what my yields could be via Air cooled OC'ing? Also I would like to keep my uATX case...so any board recommendations for such a small case?

11. bugen

bugen Member

Hi guys, ive been planing on building a new system for a while, and ive done a bit of research. And this is is what ive come up with. I just want to know if this setup is good for a building noob. Ive never completely built a computer before, but i know how too. So i would like to know if this is good for overclocking and gaming. I already have a case, and i have the optical drives. The Mobo i picked is the "revised" version. Ive heard there was quite a few problems with 680i and now most are fixed.

Western Digital Caviar SE
    EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply
    Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

pszczoll
    I would look at getting a matched pair of memory sticks rather than a single stick.
    Running memory in dual channel mode will effectively double the memory bandwidth, also if you just add another stick later, it won't be matched to the original one.
    My choice would be:
    2x1GB
    2X512MB
    then 1x1GB
    It may be a push to pay for the 2x1GB but once its done, you won't regret it, I think doing one of the other options will lead you to regret it pretty soon.
    You'd be better off getting a cheaper GPU and spending the money on the RAM, a X1950XT would still be a very good card for the system.
    Just a thought!

13. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  14. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

LP531

Ya alrie man, i realise hw dumb i sounded by asking you that.

And thanks for explaining RAID0

get well man, my computer aint important bt your health is, so dont exert yourself.

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If you look at specification sheet on your link for the Corsair, it shows the working voltage as 2.1V.
    The board will probably by default use 1.8V.
    The memory may well work at 1.8V, I don't know, but all you need to do is set the voltage in the BIOS to 2.1V, there is no point running it under voltage.
    The two reviews show it being used at 2.1 and 1.9v, but hey ho try it and see if it works at 1.8V
    This is a common problem people have had, and they end up RMA'ing boards or memory, when all they needed to do was read the manuals/specs (sadly most people don't).

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

looking at that corsair stuff, i would guess that it will default to 5-5-5-15 on 1.8v but when you give it 2.1 it should run with the correct timings.

althogh slightly different thats how mine were, ask sam he has those exact modules, he can tell you how they work.

17. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i just received case 5 min ago :) looks pretty nice :D. pleny of space inside. now im just wondering if the lenght of psu power cables is gonna be enough if psu place is on bottom of the case. and how many additional cables do i need if there are four fans inside the case with (power cables?).

18. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Ty for help , im ok with the memory now. I found site with timing configuration and voltage with CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X1024-6400PRO - on Asus P5B Deluxe that work with great performance.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  19. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello Everyone :) Hey I have been reading this thread for awhile now and i have a question? You all have been talking about raid, well i have two identical samsung 500 gig hard drives and i want to raid them. Do i need to have a floppy for the drivers ? Can i install the drivers thru a CD or a flash drive maybe?? I"m putting together a new system and i don't really want to buy a new floppy drive since a really never use them. Thanks for all the help and tips this is an awesome site! /Unjust

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it depends on the os you are installing, xp(or older) needs a floppy vista will install from a usb drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.