1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I quite agree! That pic is from NZXT's Lexa Blackline's product page on their website. I just posted it to show how much better the FM83 would fit! LOL!! It's 92mm fan in an 80mm frame should work just fine. At minimum speed, (1300 rpm) it moves 25 cfm of air I can see that the fan in the pic wouldn't be worth much by the pitch of the blade. I don't know why they include that pic when the case doesn't come with one standard. To my mind they should at least tell you that it's optional!

Since I already have both SilverStones, I'll give them a try first, but I'm pretty sure they will work the way I expect them to! Unfortunately the only sleeve bearing fan of any type and regardless of fancy names, like "Fluid Dynamic Bearings" (whoopee!) that's ever given me any extended life is the Ceramic bearings that come with the fan on the AF7-Pro. For some strange reason it's worked fine for about 2 years now Every other sleeve bearing fan I've tried so far fails after a few months. They get real sluggish and finally just stop. Turn them with your fingers and you can feel how stiff they get after a few months use! It's just the that the dust particles here are so incredibly fine, that they get into everything. The finest pumice you can buy has a particle size that look like boulders, compared to them! LOL!! They're also extremely abrasive and stick to everything! Major PITA to keep things clean! They say you eat a pound of dirt before you die! Whoever said that never lived here. Here it's more like a pound a year! LOL!!

Still, I'm looking forward to the Lexa Blackline case! I think it will be a good replacement for the CM Cavalier case I have now, and look pretty sharp too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How do you write so much?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Let's see I push one key at a time on the keyboard......ROFLMAO!! Actually I do it to piss off people like you that are in too much of a hurry to read! ROFLMSOAO! ;<}

Seriously, most folks find my posts very informative. I know you can just say "don't buy something, they're crap"! I tell people what I find about them that makes them crap! I try and be fair and very thorough in reporting what I find! I also spend considerably more time "under the hood" than most members do, so I have more to say about what I find!

sammorris,
    With AVG 8.0 it does an automatic scan of everything you send. I've turned mine off. I noticed that, when Gina was sending me e-mails. There's a message that appears at the end of the incoming e-mail that says it's been Pre-Scanned for Viruses by AVG. A bit tricky to turn off, but I think you'll figure out how to do it. It's easy, but they do it in an odd way. You'll see what I mean! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I do read all of it.

BTW, the CM690 sucks, DON'T buy it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's curious, because the build quality of the cheaper-still Centurion 532 I built a PC with was relatively good, the only exception being the PCI bracket mounting system, which snapped in half by so much as looking at it. Then again, I can't really criticise any manufacturer for that, because they're all as bad as each other, the NZXT method for example is very poor indeed.

After spending several hours trying to install the Accelero S1 Rev 2 onto my HD3870, I have to say I'm disappointed. I can't test the performance of it because the card was damaged during the installation - though how so, I'm not sure, it could be many reasons. The build quality of the cooler is not that bad, it's far better than the fanless heasinks that Powercolor make, for example. It's the design quality that really lets it down though - for a start AC added the compatibility for the HD3870 as a "yeah it might work" seemingly, as it still isn't listed on the packaging despite the fact that "Rev 2" is. The next clue is the fact that the VRM sink provided is for the X1900 series. No others included. I later read "you're meant to keep the stock ones" - fat lot of good they'll do when trapped underneath the main heatsink. The means of attaching the card is very tedious indeed, and relies on nasty plastic clips to hold the whole thing together - it's suddenly all too apparent why this cooler is half as much as the Thermalright.

Do yourself a favour, if you're going to get a replacement graphics heatsink, do the job properly.

Russ: You what? the 80mm fan shown in the picture is included as standard, at the top. It's the bottom slot that doesn't come with a fan.
    As for your lengthy posts, I'm as guilty myself on numerous occasions - I usually read everything you write though, because unlike people like NuckNFuts, no offense to the guy, but I can actually understand what you say! I just have to pick through all the LOLs and exclamation marks... :)

Oh, I forgot my biggest gripe about the Accelero S1. IT DOESN'T FIT IN MY CASE. Google the dimensions of your average desktop PC case and you'll discover that the NZXT ones are actually wider than most cases, particularly wider than Coolermasters. So what damn good is a heatsink that doesn't fit in half of them?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    ROFLMAO!! I've had Aluminum cases that were wobbly as old drunks until you get the optical drives screwed down, which stiffens them up considerably!

sammorris,
    Yeah, I see that! LOL!! I got in the habit of writing that way because if you don't use them, especially the LOLs, some people get offended because they don't seem to grasp that you are just joking! Saves arguments!

Russ!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, buy a Thermaltake case that cost as much as the RC-690 and you'd be a lot worse off.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Dude seriously add some more to back your opinion. lol. I have that case as many others do and I don't think one of them think the case sucks. It's more friendly than the Thermaltake case that I tried and much less flimsy than that case was. lol. I didn't use the side fans as I like quieter fans and sammy has already condemned the Cooler Master fans, but some of them aren't that bad really. I think the CM RC-690 is a pretty feature rich case and fairly well built. The only thing that I really have a beef with is the PCI connectors and the open mesh on top... didn't think about that when I was buying.. I have 3 kiddies remember. ;)

The upper end cases by Cooler Master are better IMHO but I've used some lower ends cases as well and they work just fine. The 330 Elite and 340 (micro-tower) and I like them for features and construction.

At almost 1/2 of retail price the RC-690 is well built compared to the Thermaltake you have/had. It's an engineering marvel compared to the Thermaltake that I tried. lol. You talk about SUCK!!! :p

....gm

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

umm, the CM 690 is not aluminum. it's steel/SECC. I for one can vouch that CM aluminum cases are very sturdy and well built. probably more so than their steel/SECC cases. as I have stated many times, aluminum is the only way for me from now on. most likely CM.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Aluminium cases, whilst more prone to vibrations don't necessarily lend themselves to being lower quality than Steel. If anything Steel cases are probably cheaper, and so the worse quality cases out there will be steel, but I've yet to see a coolermaster case that has noticeably bad build quality, no matter how cheap it is, and the Elites go pretty cheap indeed.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's not that it's kinda wobbly because of the drive not being installed, the metal is just so flimsy. It feels like I'm about to break it when working with it.

Sam, funny thing is that my Thermaltake cost me the same price. Of course that was a special deal and it's not daily you see it at a price like that, but I'm just saying how much it cost ME.

GM, read the last page. Only reason I wrote one line was to mess with Russ.

Seriously man, It's FLIMSY. I think it will cool better than my thermaltake though, and that's more important to me. So I'm keeping it. To be honest, I love everything about the case expect for the build quality and the noisy side fan( same fan on the back doesn't bother me at 100%). Anyway so my motherboard only has one fan header for case fans. So I just connected my side fan to that and I'm running it at 47%(670 RPM according to speedfan).

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was expecting that to come up - irrelevant, you should be comparing what people usually pay, not whatever special deal you found.

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So be honest, I would probably buy it again. I would have ot think harder next time. The only thing that really got me was the bending of the case. I have NEVER seen a case bend when installing an I/O Shield. That's just crazy.

Sam, I know but I'm talking about what I paid. That's why I already added it's not a realistic comparison. Or I think I said that. W/e, now you know.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I bought a CM Elite 330 for a friends build and I was rather disappointed with it. very flimsy and paper thin panels. it was even dented on the top when I got it but we pushed it back out. hey ya get what ya pay for it only cost $15 w/ free shipping after a MIR.

the 330 elite can't even be compared to my mystique or stacker. different ballpark, different city, different state, different continent, different planet :)

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What's the point of an HTPC again?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As a media centre PC, a low profile, sleek unit that can be used to accompany an HDTV rather than a monitor.
    NZXT used to make one, but apparently it's been discontinued...

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what are you nuts????? this case is awsome. if you bent it puttin gon the I/O panel you better leave the steriods alone. as you all know the troubles i have had and have had this case open and shut more times than a turnstyle in whore house i have not have any problems with it bending....

yup i got this bad at work up and running nicely looking at my new monitor with sound..lol just gotta remember what i did to get windows to see all my HDD now . only seeing 127gb of the 250bgb....

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I'm not even that strong...

Anyway, I would love to get me one of them stackers one day.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

really :O

honestly, i cannot back/defend them for wat they did to you before, they treated you liek dirt, and you rightfully complained. but they have been nothing but golden to me. :)

i hope if you use them again, they will be good to you too :D

also, from now on boozer, you only get the TJ-07 /09/ 10 OR Lian-Li, OR Antec 1200

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.