1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm probably missing something here, but is there a problem with an optical drive running in ATA66? 20x DVD Drives can, after all only make 28MB/s.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I have no idea! LOL!! I don't think there's anyway to change them other than the right cable. The only drives I ever worried about were hard drives and I check them with the Nero Toolkit!

The flat cables don't have the same problems as round ones, so if you were using an 80 wire one before it may work fine but you could experience problems with the round ones. It all has to do with how well they are shielded!

Russ

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Man it's so hard trying to buy a Laptop!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Only when you are looking for one! You can find all sorts of good buys when you're not looking! ROFL!!

Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually that's pretty true.

I can find a decent laptop, but they are all 15.4". I want something smaller for traveling.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

In my experience Cable Select is only really used by the corporate pc makers (well, was, back in the IDE days), like Compaq etc. I've owned a lot of old Dell & Compaq's, i would always revert drives to Master/Slave as soon as i acquired one of those type of machine. As to the relatively low speed of optical drives, you only have to be careful when PIO kicks in ie for any drives on a ribbon cable they will all run at the speed of the slowest drive on the ribbon cable.

I was looking on eBay for a rounded IDE cable the other day as my (only) cable was obstructing a bit of airflow in the case. Then i thought the hell with it and took out the existing cable (quite smart, it's a red MSI cable) and cable tied it neatly. Job done and no worries of buying an insufficiently shielded cable. What i don't know is whether you affect the shielding of a standard ribbon by the act of rounding it with ties. It's the only IDE in the machine anyways so no matter if it plays up.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    It can play up as you put it. The shielding is every other wire which keeps them all separated and shielded from each other, but when you fold them over or roll them up It can affect the data transmission. Electronic interference that's like data collisions in the bandwidth of a Lan. It can slow down the data rate. I look at it this way, you can't do any worse than a 40 wire in performance, so I don't worry a whole lot about it. I like using CS because the optical drives address a lot faster and since I have a round True ATA/133 IDE cable, I use it that way. Works fine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Cheers. The (solitary) IDE connection is only used for an old dvd burner that's used for dvd ripping duties so i'll soon know if there's any errors whilst ripping; don't trust the drive for burning anymore so no problems on the burning front.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So I sold two more of those monitors again. Man these things sell like Hotcakes. I listed them and there were all gone in two hours. So I'm on my way to being able to afford another computer.

I finally decided on a Laptop! It's a Sony VAIO. Unfortunately it's 15.4", but it's fairly portable and it looks nice. It's got 2 gigs of RAM, SATA HDD, and a Dual Core CPU(Allendale based). Got it for 400.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They use Allendales in Laptops? I thought they were Meroms...

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

abuzar1, what monitiors are you selling?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think they're the HP 30" jobs, at least they were...

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yup 30" HP LCD Monitors.

Actually now I'm not sure about the Allendale thing. It says Pentium Dual core on the Laptop, so it might be Yonah. Oh well, still pretty good for the price.

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

so your buying them cheap and reselling them? (monitiors)

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah that's right. I get them cheap and then I resell them. They retail for about 1600 dollars and I sell them for half that.

16. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2008
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah it's the blue version,it never used to be sold in the US. Seemingly it now is.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Looks just like a Blue version of the case. Nothing special.

Also I got my hands on some Dell 24" Monitors. They are kinda like the ones I have but these are the Ultrasharp versions that cost 200 more from Dell.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You should open an On-Line Business! "Abuzar's Computer Emporium"! Your moto could be, "If it fell off a truck, Chances are it's here"! ROFLMAO!! :<}

So what's the price going to be for the 24" Dells? Maybe I can swing one!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I buy them fair and square, I don't know what others do!

The 24 inchers are 450. They should have warranty from dell. All the monitors this guy has sold me so far are barebones. They look brand new, and they all have warranties, but they only come with Monitor and power cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.