1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, I wouldn't bother.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally prefer the image on Dell screens, but HPs are certainly good enough. I would never get that as a replacement, but it's a decent monitor.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

abuzar
    i just got the hp 19in same as that 24in. that thing is awsome i must say. the picture is unreal. i see what a good GPU and a monitor will do for someone..lol i cant get over the quality of that monitor. as everyone says the sound isnt great if your going to watch movies and game with it. just dont plug it in and get some good speakers for it.
    the desk display for it is awsome and easy to use. auto adjust is sweet. plus has extra fine tuneing utility also. has both plugins vga and dvi. with my GPU i got a adaptor from dvi to hdmi so that is great there if ya need to go that route too....

i cant say anything about the dell you have now as i know nothing about it. but im sure that 24in hp2408 is better than my 19in hp1907.

1907=19in 2007 model
    2408=24in 2008 model...

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I would raise the memory volts to +4 and get your memory running at the right voltage. When you get it to 3.6GHz, everything should be right with the memory as it will be at 800MHz. On mine, just slightly under3.6 at 3.55 has my memory running at 1066MHz with the 2.40 multiplier. Since I have no desire to try and overclock memory that's already overclocked 266MHz, it stays at 3.55GHz. I may even lower it to 3.50GHz just to give things a little more headroom. This underclocks the memory about 16MHz! The difference in performance is minimal, a couple of hundred MIPS at best!

Glad they installed the F-11 bios for you already. One thing I'll say about their tech service is they will test using the same exact memory and CPU you have, and they will get it if they don't already have it. I know for the Rev. 1.0 board I had to begin with, they didn't have the G.Skill memory I was using, but they called G.Skill and had it that afternoon (they must be close to each other).

I'm glad it's all running well for you now! The CPU voltage shouldn't matter at all as you'll more than likely have to raise it a little for a stable 3.6GHz. From what I've seen and heard about your CPU, you shouldn't have to get anywhere near the maximum 1.3625v setting. I would raise the memory voltage to 2.2v, as that's what it's supposed to run at, but you are looking good.

BTW, can you split up the screen pictures. It's neat and all of that but it's too small to read any of the text.

abuzar1,
    That's not the real good one! Look at the pixel pitch and viewing angle. The good one is 0.27 for the pixel pitch and 178 degrees for the viewing angle. This is the one that's comparable to the Dell!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176059
    The one you posted is 0.282 pixel pitch and 160 degrees for the viewing angle. The HP Carbonite has a much better picture!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's also more expensive :)

Also the Dell I have(E248WFP) DOES have .282 pixel and 160 degrees viewing angle. I don't personally have the ultrasharp version.

I can sell my Dell for 350 and get that HP for 250. The only reason I want to try out the HP is because I HATE the viewing angles on my Dell.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

azubar :)P i know its abuzar, but old habits die hard:p)

that HP is the best TN film panel you can buy.

ofcourse ideally you want a VA pansel, be it P-VA or S-VA

TN film is alot cheaper, but has low vewiing angles (esp in the vierticle planes, and with horzontal, 22" for TN is fine, as 24" is longer, and the colour representaion when looking head on, and moving ur eyes out wide, is alot worse.

compared to VA panels (2408/2407 245T etc) they have dull colours, and poor viewing angles, but they have a better response time. contrasts (ESP black levels) are aslo poor (vs VA)

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

S-PVA m8, one of the best panels under S-IPS

S-PVA is tha same the dell uses (the 2408/2407)

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Alright, well I can get a Brand new HP 30" LCD with a S-IPS panel for 450 dollars :)

I'm selling this 24" for 350, so only a 100 more.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you wish m8 :p

all the appel cinema screenes are s-ips

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't know what screen the 3007 uses, but the viewing angle is fine except for pure blacks, because the backlight isn't uniform.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I've heard that the Apple Displays aren't the best. Plus I don't trust Apple, they tend to make mediocre products. So I think I will stick with the HP.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's a little unfair, but when I last looked, the Apple cinema screens were more expensive, so the Dells were the logical choice. Of course when I was looking the large widescreen monitor market was relatively infant, the 2407FPW was brand new, and there were only a handful of manufacturers making anything in excess of 20". Now, only the 30" size is an elitist club, and even then there are a few appearing.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Last I checked the HP looked better than the ACD, and it's got better response times.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't find that surprising, I don't think the Apple displays have been updated, have they?

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

was just about to say that m8

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heh, sorry to steal your thunder... :)
    But yeah, The Apple displays should really be compared to things like the Dell 2405 rather than all the new stuff - then again, they should also be priced as such. Unlikely, methinks.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why should I compare it to older tech when the newer tech is much cheaper and better. It's like saying a 8800GTS 320 should not be compared to an 8800GT because the GTS is older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.