1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My point entirely, hence why the Apple screens should be cheaper.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey all. i found something interesting with sandra and my sudden instability with it.
    in the 3rd part of the setup. it has the option to terminate on overheat/failure(saftey use)

i have now ran it 3 times in a row with this box unchecked. and it is working fine, yes im watching my temps and they arent going over 56c granted im only running the test 1 time. not a mutltiple amounts of time or continuosly....

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Let me guess, you used the default settings for the temperatures didn't you? I set mine to 100C for the CPU and 55C for the MB. In the first place the computer itself will shut it down if it gets too hot so I don't need the burn in program interfering with TM2!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Lp531 wrote
    Russ wrote
    @Russ
    LOL!!!
    I was around for all those guys...But...This wasn't Big Time wrestling...This was Mixed Martial Arts...WEC...World Extreme Cagefighting...No fake punches...No fake blood...Just extremely talented fighters...the Real Deal...After watching MMA...I can never watch a boxing match and find it exciting...
    Faber kicked Pulvers Ass...and Jens "Little Evil" Pulver is No Slouch...
    The Champion Urijah "The California Kid" Faber is the real deal...He is equal to anyone in his division in the UFC...
    Sacramento...and the Arco was Rockin...since its Fabers Hometown...Can't wait for the next fight at the Arco...

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    i guess you can say i was useing the default stuff.i did go in and change all the temp settings for it ..i let it run allnight no problem at all. other than the error for the A:drive which i dont have a floppy drive.

heres a shot of sandra's Mips test.
    this is after my OC t o3.4ghz
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/sandra-2.png

im completely satisfied now. everything (stress wise) it has passed. not a thing wrong..FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

after a couple weeks of running it here its going to 3.6ghz 800mhz for the mem. might take it to 3.8ghz get it stable??? then back to 3.6ghz. i am still a little worried about this mem.it is about this time that it started messing up befroe. granted there are no signs of it happening as of now.

Hmmm now if its stable and no need to fiddle with it what am i to do????? i know the wife is happy i have no need to put more money into it..lol

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just in case anyone needs some Crucial RAM for cheap!!! link to DDR2 800 Crucial RAM $19.99 after MIR

RedRob you outta order some just for the matched set... ;) If you don't like it sell it for $30!!! :D

.....gm

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm jealous...all I got to do was watch at home. MMA is one of the few things I take time out to watch when it's on. I try not to miss a fight. Watched Saturday night too on CBS...twas decent.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you know what.if i knew for a fact i'd get teh 16chip(double sided)mem. i would.from what i was told by the crucial tech, that is what they are sending out now. but is it what the egg has???

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Newegg probably has the older stock. That's why they offer these rebates, to clear it out.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's Open Box, that's why it's cheap - it's also why they're still selling an original model board, without the E.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

if ya was to get a open box. how ould you get the install disc?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'd get the drivers off the website, using another PC of course.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

vista sp1 (which i have a disc of) has most drivers. infact i didnt need to install any drivers, even sound :O)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    They said the same thing with SP-2 for XP! M$ drivers have more BS in them such as the one Vista installed on the 4800+. It wouldn't let me play a DVD because the video had an open video output port! You can keep Vista and their drivers, it sucks! XP w/SP-3 runs rings around it judging by last months shoot out between Vista and XP. XP is about 17% faster overall, and it doesn't bust your chops everytime you add new hardware like Vista does. I just installed a new 500GB Seagate for a customer on a Vista machine and had to call M$! P.I.T.A$$

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh, and to think I'm going to have to go through all this if I crossfire 4800s..

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ughh, I am SO out of it now.

I'm using a GMA X3100 chipset to play my games. Man going from a Quad core with a 8800GT to THIS is horrible. lol

I've decided to wait till Nehalem.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I really do admire you for putting up with that for so long Abuzar. I wouldn't have the patience.

19. redice

redice Regular member

@theone

are there any downsides to installing sp3(service pack 3) for windows xp? should i install the pack?

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

azubar, nehalam, mainstreme is not to come out till Q2/3 2k9. can yu wait that long?

only the EXTREEME versions will come ou in Q4 2008/Q1 2009

and Russ, im using samsung HDDs, not a probelm, when i got it a few weeks back, same with the mobo, ASUS P5K-E. everythign worked w.o any drivers needed.

hell i could play games on the 7800GT, with no nividia Driver) :O

i like vista, and i would never go back to XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.