1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

red, i've heard of problems about sp3 so haven't done any updates to sp3 on customers' computers.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So nvidia's drivers are so bad you don't even use them these days, eh?

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no i just tried it to see if it would work.

i now use Omega drivers.

cant stand the bsods from Nvidia.

4. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks ddp and now thta i think about it. i remember reading that sp3 had problems as well.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Talking about Vista vs XP.

I USED to have Vista on my Laptop. So I try running my favorite game(Advent Rising) on all low at 800x600 and the frame rate was too low. So I decided to install XP. Now I can max out the game at 800x600 lol.

Hell this Laptop is WAY faster than my "main" computer. I'm actually gonna set up my desktop in the Guest Bedroom with my old CRT and hook up my Laptop to my LCD monitor and use it as my main computer instead.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Funny that, the omega drivers for the 3870 were dreadful.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

YEA WHAT RUSS SAID!!!!
    lmao

got my card reader and new round ide cable installed . everything is running great everything seen by windows on the card reader install.good ole XP..lol why couldnt this thing run like this from day one??????? even with this old 100gb 8mb cache HDD with my OS on it, it isstill fast as Jeff Gordon running away from a woman..lol

with all the talk about sata vs ide. with the ODD not really matterng which you have. is there i big difference in the hards? sata vs ide? i can tell a difference in my 2 drives but one is 16mb cache andthe other is 8nb.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

good one rob hehe

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

2009, huh? I don't know what I'm going to do. I keep on changing my mind. One time I just want to build myself a budget PC because old parts like the 8800GTS(which we all agree on is still a great card for 80 bucks) are so cheap. Then I want to wait till Nehalem or Q9450 price drops. I'm so confused lol.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just seen the Q9450 over at microcenter for $299. it has come way down. the Q6600 they are giveing away. $189thats what i paid for my E8400.

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Loco
    I couldn't watch the Saturday Fights...since I forgot they were on...
    This new CBS thing threw me...so I forgot to Tivo it...I don't follow EliteXC as much as WEC...and UFC...
    I never got all the hype about Kimbo Slice...
    Fighting bar bouncers in backyards...hardly compares to true professional MMA Fighting...
    Kimbo is going to get his ass handed to him if he goes up against any of the UFC...or the top WEC guys...
    The Fights were a Blast with all the local MMA guys on the card...Arco was Loud...just like at a Kings Game...
    This was my 2nd live MMA Fight...I was at UFC 65 in Sacramento as well...it was when George Rush Saint Pierre...defeated Matt Hughes...to become UFC Welterweight Champion...
    I am Hooked...I can't wait for the next fights at Arco...with the Champ Faber there...I know there is going to be more...:)

Just to stay on track...I haven't installed SP3 yet on any of my PC's...just because there is always problems with the Service Pack...and I want to wait and see...if MicroSuck is installing anything funny...or anything to interfere with any of my Rights to...Freely...Roam the Seas in Search of Treasure...}:)

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One's a WD, one's a Seagate - plus the Seagate has firewire, not sure about the WD. However, I'd strongly recommend AVOIDING both, as external hard disks built as a unit have software that can cause severe problems with what you can store on them. You're much better off using an internal drive with your own box.

14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Actually, the Seagate has USB/SATA/Firewire connections. I never use the software that comes with external drives, I just let the XP install them, then I format them to NTSC, because they usually default to FAT32. I personally like the Seagate better because one can obtain free backup software (Acronis Trueimage).

15. spaul40

spaul40 Member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You mean NTFS? lol
    I didn't know the Seagate drives were so well equipped, I'll bear that in mind for next time.

17. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Yes, of course. I was on another forum concerning NTSC, a TV broadcast format, and lost my mind, LOL.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    I've been using SP3 since the beginning of the year and haven't had any problems with it at all on the Intel. The AMD was another story! I didn't have the re-boot problem like so many reported, but I had all sorts of glitches with the I/O. Mouse problems. keyboard and things like that. As long as you're installing it on an Intel, you shouldn't have any problems!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I read SP3 was causing issue for AMDs, but funnily enough I read that Vista SP1 had the same issue.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey, so I had a guy call me about a monitor. He said that he couldn't max out WoW on two monitors with a 8800GTS 320. Anyway his computer got stolen and he has to get a new one.

Seriously, I DOUBT a 8800GTS can't max out freakin' WOW on dual monitors. What do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.