1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well my XP pro with SP3 gave me trouble with my drivers for my audio. i went back to SP2 no problems????who knows.

ok guys i got alink here to another site. not promoting that site just the post some one made about the CM Rc-690 case. and a side panel mod her did himself to make it a clear case.

Creaky/loco/ddp/all mods who visit here
    if this is a no no. tell me so and i will edit this or yo can yourself.

heres the link
    http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/294838-official-cooler-master-690-club-46.html#post3581757

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, bad luck, I kow someone who's been in that situation, perhaps worse I'm not sure. Some drunks raided his room and wrecked his PC - an NZXT Lexa of all things. I think I was almost as upset about that as he was! :(

As for WoW, it can be very demanding if you've got lots of characters in play at once, if you're running a reasonable res on two monitors at once, I can easily see how the GTS 320 could run out of video memory and slow down.

3. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks i would have been installing it on AMD computer but i will just wait until i build my Intel computer then.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That;s the thing I LIKE about my CM 690, that fact that it doesn't have a clear side panel.

Anyway so now he wants a SLI computer. I'm thinking two 9600GT but what motherboard to use?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rather than get a waffy SLI board at great expense, why not stick with the DS3R and shove a 9800GX2 in?

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

get the two 9600GTs with the 750i P5N-D mobo.

it will give 2x16 for full SLI, btu wont do trisli

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is the P5N-D actually any good? :S

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So I just got my Raidmax Smilodon case, and I have to say it's pretty damn good.

It's got a much higher build quality than the CM 690, and it has a motherboard tray. Instead of two 120mm fans on the side it has 80mm. I was considering keeping it for myself but the 80mm fans was a real no-no for me.

Still for 50 dollars, it's a GREAT case.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A Raidmax case that's better built than a coolermaster? That's embarassing...

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

from the reviews its meant to be good, not sure about personally.

as for raidmax, isnt that the lianli ripofs?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Raidmax are just the household name for tacky plastic cases that look ridiculous, yet seem to appeal to everyone under the age of 19. Them and Aspire I suppose.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris..Ooooops sorry thought they were both same brand

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ahh like Xclio then

who were the USA lian li rip ofs?

they took OEM lian li's re-branded them, and sodl them for cheap

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I don't care who they appeal to, all I know is that it's an Excellent built case with pretty damn good cooling.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure. haha, indeed XClio are another, but not quite as bad.

Rick: Aspire and Apevia are the same company. I have a feeling ACase is also the same firm, but I'm not sure. Multiple names is a sneaky tactic used by companies that have something to hide, usually about the quality of their products, to date I only know of a few examples, Acer/Benq, Aspire/Apevia and Alba/Bush.

It'll be a while before I think Raidmax products are well made after having seen the Scorpio.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Better you than me! All the drivers installed by any OS, are generic MS drivers. With Vista, they are all tied to their stupid "Big Brother" mentality! That's why I couldn't even play a DVD on the AMD when it had Vista on it! Vista Security! What a joke! That's all right, Vista as we know it won't be around for very long! Eventually we will have XP-Pro, Vista edition! That's what my sources tell me! Thousands of people are suing M$ over all the inconveniences it has. It's none of Bill Gates business if I want to change hardware! It's my computer, not Bill Gates! M$ has no business telling anyone how they can use their computer and what components they can install in it!

You like Vista, and that's fair enough! What do you do the next time you buy some hardware and it won't work because it's all of a sudden not compatible? M$ can and does shut you out of certain hardware, claiming that it isn't vista Compatible, which is much more political than fact! Same thing with software! I got a message saying the the Nero 6 I was trying to install may not work properly. No warning not to install it, just that it might not work properly. I had to restore the entire hard drive as Nero wouldn't work, and you couldn't un-install it or even remove all the files! I never once had that problem with XP-Pro, 2000, 98 or 95!

The original premise was that Windows would be backward compatible, but since XP, that's gone out the window! I don't like the idea of not being able to play certain old games that I enjoy, simply because Bill Gates has decided that I can no longer play them or I have to go out and spend money for the XP, and now for the Vista versions! I could well understand it if there were improvements in speed or something like that, but XP-Pro did a very thorough job of kicking vista's butt in a recent shoot out, so it's a "more is less" proposition when it comes to Vista!

As long as I'm in a "go get um" mood, How many think that AMD's problems with XP-SP3 aren't deliberate? Doesn't it seem strange to anyone that despite all the "Beta" versions of SP3 that have been available for around a year now, no one reported the problems they have now? Yet, the day SP3 officially came out, there were thousands of complaints from AMD owners! Am I the only one who sees that as a bit odd? It makes me think about when after having the final Beta for Windows 95 (which I loved!), I bought it only to find out that it wasn't near as good as the Beta! Not only not near as good, but a completely different program that didn't look or feel anything like the final Beta! Virtually everything about the Beta I liked was missing in the $399 Win 95 I bought! It didn't even have the same GUI! Why do I see this picture in my mind of Poor AMD hanging onto a cliff by their fingertips while Bill Gates and Intel are up on the top of the cliff, trying to stomp on their fingers! Do you think for one minute that Micro$oft and Intel aren't in bed together?

As long as I'm on a roll, I am sick and tired of hearing what pieces of Crap the AMDs are! I've had the pleasure of having both Intel's E6750 and AMD's 64x2 2.5GHz 4800+ to use any time I want to compare to my Intel, and I have to say I am very impressed with the AMD. Considering that I am comparing a stock 4800+ at 2.5GHz (there's no overclocking on the MB) to an E6750 that's overclocked to 3.55GHz, it's doubly impressive. Throw in the handicap of the AMD having nVidia on-board 6150 graphics, and it's three times as impressive! It makes a very good case against Synthetic Benchmarks. The 4800+ may not have the numbers and not be as fast, but it's function is quicker in ways that matter very much to the overall performance of the computer. Windows open faster, programs load faster and the video processing is amazing! My CCE times are almost as good on the 4800+ as they are on my main computer. I would love to get my hands on a 64x2 4800+ Windsor! That extra 1MB of L2 Cache would really shine! Don't sell the AMDs short! They are far better than the numbers indicate! Remember also that mine is on a Freekin eMachine! Better PSU, Cpu Cooler and a fan on the NB heat sink, but still a Freekin eMachine! Rage over!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cincyrob - re the links - don't worry about it; posters such as yourselves aren't here to spam or advertise so the links are fine

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: I think it was Rocketfish.

Russ: AMD are getting crapped on from both sectors, game development is almost solely designed with nvidia in mind, and OS development (at least for microsoft) is solely designed with Intel in mind. Only open source stuff actually caters to AMD because of their diminishing market share. It's their duldrums that are making their own situation worse. Catch 22, my friend.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I know, and it's a shame! It's just that this is the first time I've ever taken a step down in performance and come away very impressed!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've taken a voluntary step down in performance for quite some time with graphics, sticking on AMD's side, but quite frankly, it's what I'm used to, and above all I care about my games looking good, because the only reason I need them running fast is so they can look better anyway. In the high-end bracket every game will run fine, at a certain detail level, it just varies how far up the scale I can go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.