1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ, i have had no problems with vista, what so ever.

apart form beta nvidia drivers, but thats the problem of lazy manufacturers.

and the first thing i do in vista is disable UAC. i can play DVDs fine on WMP, as soon as it was installed, all the codecs were there.

have you tried SP1, becuase thats the disc i have.

and i would never buy a product not compatible with my software, if i did, I would be the idiot. its not vista's fault that comanies such as creative are lazy when others (realtek) wernt.

when crysis came out, you wouldnt blame an 8800GTX for not runnning it on ultra high 4xAA 16xAF at 1680x1050, but you blame the poorly coded game. same thing here. you dont blame the OS, you blame the poor drivers.

infact if you have learned about how an OS works, and how memory is managed with windows, multitaking and paging, vista is alot more efficient with the memory. yes it takes more, but it can divert pages quickly, swaping between the hard drive very quickly (well the HDD is the slowest part of the comp), so other instructions can be run.

it a better management system than XP.

yes windows 7 is set for a late Q4 2009 release, but im sure we will ahve the same BS again, as it was with windows 2000, windoes ME (deservedly so) and XP was sh!t till SP2, with bsods at ANYTHING, and not being as secure.

people were like, i will never move from 98SE, but THEY DID. go game you have to for DX9c. and you'll have to move to vista, or windows 7 aswell.

its inevitable, and with every release we will have this bitching about it (sorry for the swear)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually shaff, you're entirely right. XP took as long as Vista has so far to become a decent operating system. It has to be said though, there's still a long way to go before I would consider Vista fully optimised.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    In this case it's much more than just bitching! People have had it with M$ interference! They have a huge lawsuit looming in the not too distant future against M$ (I'm a part of it!) that they have every chance of winning! So much dirt about Un-ethical Business Practices has been uncovered by various states Attorney Generals that several requests for a Federal Indictment have been sent to the U.S. Attorney General's Office. Mind you, this is because of thousands of individual complaints! That's precisely why there will be an OS-7! You should see the list of Subpoena's that various States Attorney General's have requested. It reads like a Who's Who of the computer manufacturing industry! M$ can't retaliate as it would totally sink their Battleship! LOL!! They would be indited immediately! Imagine if it ever gets to the point of the hardware manufacturer's parading through the Courtroom testifying how M$ has Forced them to produce components for Vista only! Or all the MB manufacturers testifying how M$ Forced them (Blackmail is such an ugly word!) into either making Vista only machines by threat of not supplying them with an operating systems! That's why you see so many Low End HP, Compaq, Gateway and eMachines that are Vista only with 128 to 256MB of Ram! That's what my AMD was! Can you imagine trying to run Vista with 128MB of Ram! LOL!! That's exactly what my eMachine came with! It even proudly proclaimed it on a label on the case front! Talk about a Cripple! LOL!!

This case will never see a courtroom! It will be settled out of Court! It has to be, otherwise some very high powered Executives from M$ are going to go to jail! M$ is caught between a Rock and a Hard Place! Either they bring out OS-7 without all the "Super security BS", or they go down! The absolute best part is that in this case it's the people and not some other big Conglomerate forcing the issue! Power to the People!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and yet w.o the revolution of a GUI that was window based, where would we be?

MS are probbaly the biggest company the world has, and they are the biggest innovators, bringing PCs to the masses.

windows 7 was cited within a few months of vista, and this was a debate about vista, why did it turn into a court battle?

i dont care abotu their practises, so long as they supply the end user with a good product, that is all i care about.

if you were so into the practices of a company, there was a load of crap Gigabyte did to asus, like claiming they had pics of asus mobos, with busted caps, where as it turned out to be a graphics card, and it wasnt even an asus one.

i want goign to politics, nor do i want to argue about that, so why bring it in?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Wrong kind of politics! I was meaning the politics of that particular situation! Even I won't touch governmental politics! LOL!! I'm not that stupid, or Senile! LOL!!

Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well skipping all this about Vista, I just got done building this computer. I am IMPRESSED with this Raidmax case and this goes on my list of recommended cases. It's pretty well thought out, and the quality is great!

Unfortunately I had a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L crap out on one of my customers. I have to send it back to Gigabyte!

The specs on the PC I'm building right now:
    E2180
    GA-EP35-DS3R
    250GB Seagate SATA 16MB
    Sone Nec Optiarc DVD Burner
    Chaintec 9600GT
    Thermaltake 500W PSU
    Raidmax Smilidon

Once I do a burn in for a few hours I will be OCing it. I have always managed to reach 3.2Ghz on these and NEVER pushed any further(not my computer so I don't risk it).

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wondered how long it'd be before that came back...

As for the DS3L, sadly that is starting to lose its quality edge, and Gigabyte are as a whole. Seems the high quality component era was relatively short lived. Their stuff is still good, but it's not up to the same standards it used to be. Sadly that doesn't really leave any company left in the midrange sector any more, which would explain why shaffaaf is needlessly picking expensive motherboards. Suddenly it's not actually so needless.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

boozer, look at raidmax, and then at lianli.

then prepare to change your ideas on cases :D

btw i should be ordering an antec 1200 within the month, so will be putting up pics of it. :)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, I have nothing against Lian Li cases, and certainly not against their quality. I don't use one myself because I think their styling is rather dull, but I see a place for that. Oh, and some of their cases are inexplicably three times the price of very similar models, but overall I'd say their quality surpasses that of any other case manufacturer I've seen. Above coolermaster, above NZXT, above Antec, and certainly above Raidmax.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Bro this was a budget build. For a 50 dollar case it's got more than enough quality. This computer cost the guy 700 dollars.

Oh and I forgot to mention it has 4GB of Patriot RAM(cas 4 PC-6400).

Last time I sent a board to Gigabyte it took them three weeks.

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

HAHA.

tbh, the only p35 i still see for sale is the DSL. im sure they are jsut waiting to being out some very good p45s.

how is the x38 sam?

abit still make decent boards at good prices, as do MSI.

imo id pik GB over them anyday (if they have the same price bracket)

im not even gonan go intot he crap asus produce at that level. have you seen new new vanila P5Q (p45 chipset) the 24pin mobo socket is next to the I/O back plate.

talk about OOOOLLLLDDDDD layouts.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

agreed about their minimalistic styling a bit boring, but then id choose it over Xclio, and that aweful X-blade case (which i wanted when i was new to the game)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And now the truth comes out... :)
    fine, but the BIOS update system sucks a bit. Then again I don't trust Asus' BIOS updates either, so that's kind of moot. It's a perfectly good board, but I'd love to know why it takes more than twice as long to complete POST as the DS3R.
    I wanted a Thermaltake Soprano once. 'nuff said! lol

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

haha. its not as bad as mine, casu the one i wanted came with a brilliant 450W PSU!!! ZOMGERZ1111!!!1!!!11!!

and updateing asus boards is easy, put in usb, press F2 and ALT and slect the drive and off you go :)

or do it in windows (which i have done twice w.o fail)

i have never had one bad bios.

i just upgrade when i need to, and i have NEVER needed to clear CMOS.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Still better quality than the CM 690. What I meant was if you pay extravagant amounts for a case(Armor, Stacker, Lianli cases) obviously they will be better quality. Seriously, this case matches construction quality with my Armor, and that simply is AMAZING.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

boozer, what are you drinking, injecting or snorting?

:p

xD

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nothing right now. I like to inject morphine once in a while lol.

Seriously, you wont know what I'm talking about till you have actually used one.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah now, that's going further back for me. I bought an ebuyer extra value 600W PSU once, and when it didn't work, it got replaced with a Qtec 450W. After the fire, I used a Hiper unit. Not perfect, but much better.

I didn't have a bad BIOS, but the board one day decided it wanted F1 back, and so did.

Abuzar, tease or not, it matches the quality of construction of an Armor. Now how about a real case, eh? Buy something like a Lian Li A70, then speak.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam u got em dribbleing for that lianl---- no the Q-TEC

:p

i fear for anyone who has a q-tec. i would wish one on my most hated enemy

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't even do that... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.