1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you don't think the Armor is a real(good) case then you're on DRUGS. lol

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps some maturity is needed here?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

leave us teens alone. i have to get to uni in sept, i wanna get the immaturity out NOW

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh yeah. Holy crap, I'm not a teenager any more... Bah, I wouldn't say it's changed me in the slightest.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm not the one who bought up drugs!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just had an interesting upgrade experience. A customer brought me a Compaq AMD with a 3200 Sempron that these people took for rent owed. I had done the memory upgrade on it and even loaned a friend of mine's memory (with his permission) so he could use the computer until his memory came in. When he brought the computer back, the loaned memory was gone, replaced by a couple of dead sticks. No one knew nothin and I had to eat it! The computer shows up yesterday and lo and behold the missing memory is installed in it! I excused myself and went and got the invoice and checked the Serial numbers! It was the stolen memory! I showed her the invoice and correctly identified the people involved!

She insisted that I take the memory back (how's that for a surprise) since she wanted nothing to do with something stolen. I gave her a price of $80 to replace the memory and do some fixing in XP-Pro and a couple of other software upgrades. She said that she didn't have the money to do it, and after a day of thinking it over she offered me the 19" ProView LCD Widescreen monitor and I gave her a real nice 16" CRT monitor. With a native resolution of 1440x1200 for the ProView, it has a very sharp picture. In essence I gave up some Corsair Value Select cas 2.5 memory (2x512) for the monitor! Strange business dealings! LOL!!

shaffaaf,
    The down side to not clearing the CMOS is that you can get remnants of a messed up bios left over. That's why it's always good to clear the bios. It worked very well for me when I first flashed this one back when I got it because someone had messed it all up as it was delivered to the wrong address! I re-flashed the bios and didn't clear the CMOS and had all sorts of strange problems. Simply clearing the bios solved everything. A very good habbit to get into. It only takes a few minutes and is easy to do. Don't be relying on the fact that you never do it because that could come back and bite you on the A$$!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah i understand russ.
    might do it but then i gotta flash bios again... LONG :p it takes the best part of 2 mins :p

im jsut saying, that i have had failed OCs, from pushing it so far, but asus have always givne me the option of resetting w.o clearing cmos. my mobo has never balcked out, or frozen etc, perfect.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed - that's another one of the things that's specific to nvidia chipset boards like the Striker.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    You don't have to flash it again. all you are doing is clearing any possible remnants from the bios. You will have to go through the settings again and return the CPU and memory to manual, that's all! Even if you re-set the bios (as you say)!

Most MBs these days will only reset the CPU and memory speed to stock by switching them to auto. They don't reset anything else. The settings are still there in phantom and return after you switch back to manual! Rarely does it cause a problem if you don't pull the battery and completely power down, but occasionally it does! There's also no other way to completely clear it other than doing that! It makes no difference who's bios it is, by clearing the bios by removing the battery with the PSU turned off and the power plug removed assures that all the registers are cleared and set to default! It's the same for any MB bios regardless of MB brand!

If you haven't experienced any blackouts or freezes then you aren't overclocking right! How else would you find the limits of that particular MB, CPU and memory? You take it up slowly until it fails and then go from there! Besides if it fails the overclock, the screen goes black and the system re-sets, so saying no blanking or blacking of the screen is pure BS! It happens to any computer if you push the limits too far, regardless of brand! It has nothing whatsoever to do with who the manufacturer of the MB is!

Don't be encouraging bad habits among the Newbies, please! LOL!! We are all here to either teach or learn. If we are teaching, then we need to do it by the book, the right way! There are no shortcuts to doing it right! There is no easy way, there's only the right way! Besides, you've never kept a computer long enough to even know if it's actually right. Sometimes problems attributed to an overclock don't show up for months. My D-940 ran perfect at 3.92GHz! I had no problems with it whatsoever until I joined Folding at Home! I wasn't aware of any problems until I got notified that my Work Units weren't being completed. I had to back it down to 3.84GHz so that it would fold properly! I consider folding the ultimate test for an overclock. If it will fold, there are no unseen problems!

There are no substitutes for good work habits and patience. A good overclock takes time, patience and a bit of luck. Since I've done more builds than you have had shoes in your life, I know what I'm talking about! It's called experience!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

DONT DO IT GIGABYTE

[​IMG]

NOOO (notice the chipset)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Who knows, maybe the 790i isn't rubbish?

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Little 790 SLi chipset. :) How else are they gonna achieve Quad Sli??

And of course you DON'T have to buy it!!!!!

...gm

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I love how there's no room for any SATA ports because of all those PCIe slots...
    Still, in true Gigabyte style they've still managed to fit six of them by putting them in the spare nooks and crannies... :p

Take a good look at the size of the chipset heatsinks on that board, now look at this one:
    [​IMG]

Still an SLI board believe it or not...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  15. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's where some "research" comes in handy. If you notice most of the people that had some success with that mobo installed "after market" heatsinks on the chipset and mosfet areas. NOT trying to indicate it was their (asus) best product but it did ok with some folks. ;)

I would say that particular ASUS mobo would be BAD for silent cooling or a mostly fanless design... I've had a friend or two with that mobo and they had decent success with added and superior cooling. :D

....gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A valid point - and I questioned that too when I saw that it's all fan and no heatsink, but temps are one thing I never had a problem with on that board.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

To add on the AN8-SLi mobo.. I also have a friend (he's a member here too) that had some serious issues with that mobo.. due to poor cooling from his case and the mobo needing that cooling.... Oddly enough the case was a Thermaltake Armour (the good one) and it didn't play nice with that mobo... lol. He sold the stuff (traded maybe) and got some SUPERIOR Intel goodies and hasn't looked back sense if memory serves. :)

...gm

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    With all due respect, you are forgetting one important thing when comparing the heatsinks between the two! The memory controller is in the CPU on the AMD, while the Intel's memory controller is in the Northbridge! The AMD's chip does less work, so it runs cooler to begin with. That silly little chip cooler on the A8N-SLI SE, is all but worthless! I had one sent to me from Asus by accident, and they told me to keep it and sent me the part I did order. I gave it a shot and installed it on my P5P800 SE, and my MB temps went to the moon! Noisy little bastard too!

Respectfully,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Would you guys mind if I ask you for assistance on a few event logs?
    I'll move them to a different thread if necessary.

These are all the issues I can find in event viewer:

1. These things are all over the place

0000000427: 2008-06-08 20:02:25:656 Exception <Killing CCC0 Process>: Process with an Id of 496 is not running.
    Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.MOM.Implementation.CCC0StateMachine::KillMe processID:00776 threadID:(MOM_STM_DelegateThread) domainName:(MOM.exe ) assemblyName:(MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3009.40194, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    ************************************************************************************************************************

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    0000000001: 2008-06-08 22:40:25:593 Failed to merge manifest file: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml with exception: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml'.
    Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Foundation.MergeManifest::ReadManifest processID:02684 threadID:( ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Foundation.XManifest, Version=2.0.2939.23802, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0000000002: 2008-06-08 22:38:46:031 Exception <atixcode.dll>: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {981145A7-E08E-48F3-A1C4-52C28BCAAAF9} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
    Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.TransCode.Graphics.Shared.TC_Component::CheckTrancodeComObject processID:04616 threadID:(CCCThreadNew:Wizard) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Aspect.TransCode.Graphics.Shared, Version=2.0.2939.23764, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    ************************************************************************************************************************

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

2. These occur every time I shut my PC down, log off or restart.
    Windows saved user RMS-ALEXANDRA\Sam Morris registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

3. These occur regularly
    The WMI Performance Adapter service entered the stopped state.
    The WMI Performance Adapter service was successfully sent a start control.
    The WMI Performance Adapter service entered the running state.

4. I see these occasionally
    TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

5. I see these occasionally
    The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.[/b]

6. I see a set of 8 of these, once, a few days ago
    The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

uninstall ATI drivers, and use driver cleaner pro / driver sweerper (in safemode) then do a reg clean, and install your prefered drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.