1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well after rearangeing my fans. i now have a 140mm & 120mm on the top as exhust. and a 140mm & 120mm on the side as intake(and a 120 in front and rear.intake and exhust)
    my temps are a bit better. actually pretty much better i think with my OC of 3.6ghz my temps are the same now as it was with the 3.4ghz OC.

at idle both cores are 49c the CPU is 30c

plus i did a little cable management. got the extra cables off the bottom of the case where the extra fan can go.
    also made some room for a incomeing burner ;)not sure if its gonna be a litey or a pioneer??? scratches me head.

also did away with that 100gb 8mb cache ide drive. got my OS back on the 250gb 16mb cache sata drive....man is there a big difference.

outside of putting in a drive or 2 i think im done opening this thing up..lol now i can get back to burning and stop buggin ya all with my sillyness.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

ZOSO, how come no love for Quad Cores? I'm sure you can afford one. lol

Rob, what is it that you burn all the time man. Seems like that's all you got your computer for lol.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats mostly what i built it for is burning, converting, editing.
    i back up my movies. alot of the kids movies..lol
    make my own dvd's from videos of my sons have made alot of dvds for the family of pics of the kids and such.

it used to take me well over a hour to convert mpegs to dvd format now it take 15 mins 20 at the longest

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Is this Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB
    Faster then a Quad 2.4 2.6 Intel

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Depends on what you are using it for. Most applications will have the dual core as better performing because they are not optimized for quad cores. The ones that are Optimized for Quad cores the quad core will be ALMOST twice as fast!

Also, more and more applications are supporting quad cores.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rick, Theone, Rob: I have no objection to you guys using Seagate, Samsung or WD Drives, they are all very good. The drives I get on best with are the Samsungs and the WDs, because make much less seek noise (grinding, clicking when used) than the Seagates - the Samsungs I only use in external boxes as they vibrate a lot (Which incidentally russ, the Steel version of the Lexa case is far more prone to than the Aluminium one!)

Zoso: Looking good!

On an interesting note - (mainly directed at theone) you may recall I had an issue with the X38-DS4 that wasn't present with my P35 board where it would wait for quite a while at 'verifying DMI Pool Data' - I've sinced changed to using my Raptor as my OS drive, and it no longer happens! Bootup time from power button pressed to ready to use is around 55 seconds.

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good fine Robert since it only 10.00 dollars more for 250 more gig then thats the one i will get.

thanks for the stamp of approval Russ and the rest of you all

and abuzar1 i really don't need a quad core right now plus as you said the applications for quad core aren't that high right now .I can always upgrade to quad in a year or so plus i like the idea of OC(ing) to 4 plus GHz with the E8500.

yeah i hurt my back pretty bad at work and its finally getting better so i hadn't been able to get the extra stuff done like upgrading my PC etc. till now but finally its going to happen

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

abuzar1..So I do a lot of Video Encoding-Recoding.So the Quads would be better 4me.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah for those purposes quads will be a hell of a lot better. Just make sure you update your programs to the newest versions with quad core support.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Russ whats the difference between the seagate500 gig HDD thats 109.00 dollars compare to the 89.00 dollar drive rob posted?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ZOSO.
    the $109 one is the ES2 model
    the $89 one is the standard 7200.11 model.
    im not 100% sure but i think the ES2 model is for servers.not 100% on that and im not sure if it makes the difference.

edit:
    how ya like this coolermaster case. our buddy bigwill just got it and we loaded it up with 4 more coolermaster blue led 120mm fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    Actually the one that Rob posted it the better drive. Must be on sale! The difference is in the recording technology. The one that Rob posted has "Proven second-generation perpendicular recording technology" and makes a little less noise!

sammorris,
    That's not been my experience with the Seagate drives at all, and I've installed over 35 new ones this year ranging in size from 120GB to a couple of 500GB. The amount of noise is minimal and you really have to listen hard to hear them at all in a quiet room! If you hold the bare drive in your hand you can barely feel it running! The ones with the Perpendicular Recording Technology are quieter than the standard types.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi guys.

hey rob,

just curious and comparing notes, what cpu hsf you using now? also what is the ambient temp in the room your pc is in?

my core temps are 44c and 46c and my cpu temp is 32c at idle according to everest. the ambient temp is 76f.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry for confusion Russ, what I actually meant was that the Samsungs have high vibration but low seek noise - the Seagates are the complete opposite - they barely vibrate at all but it's grind city when they start seeking.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

so which series seagate is better, the 7200.11 or the ES2? I am going to replace my old maxtor 400gb one of these days. it's sata 1.5 and has always ran hotter than any of my others.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    In this instance the 7200.11. Basically the ones with the Perpendicular Recording Technology are the better choice as they are quieter, with none of the noise that was mentioned before. You can barely hear mine read or write in a quiet room!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey good to see ya Mort.
    im useing the Artic freezer 7 pro. with AS5. id say my ambient room temp is around 78-80f
    right now according to everest my cores are at 55c and CPU is 32c

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

question. the plug for the cpu cooler is a 4 pin. it goes into the mobo. will it work with a 3 pin adapter?i have a open 3 pin plug that it can go into. and i can plug my cooler fan directly into the PSU and see if a higher rpm running fan would cool it a little better.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

RedRob
    How does Will like that case?? I've been thinking about a case purchase... lol. LIKE I need one and that one is on my list for sure. :D I like the 810 Stacker too but it's $200+ AFAIK. Rob didn't Will have a "clear" case?? He decided to get rid of it or what?

Morty said, "hi guys."

Howdy Mr.!! How are you doing?? You got some new speakers didn't you?? How are they working out?? You keeping up the neighbors at night?? hehehe.

....gm

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It will yes, but it will run at reduced speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.