1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi GM,

you being a troublemaker? you know I did but I'm not going to brag em up because that sort of thing tends to cause problems, for me anyways.

I will say there is a definate improvement in the klipsch promedia ultra 5.1's over the regular klipsch promedia 5.1's.

I sold my set of klipsch promedia 5.1's last night. they were only on ebay for 1 1/2 days. probably should have made the "buy it now" price higher but I wasn't trying to make money. I was only trying to get back what I paid for them so I'm happy :)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What sort of difference is there between the Ultras and regular speakers? Increased power rating, or is there more to it than that?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, it will work with a three pin but you will not be able to use PWM control.

Guys, so I'm going for vacation. You might not see me on here for a couple of weeks.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    There's an easier way to find out. Go into the Setup and Disable the Smart Fan Control Method in the PC Health Status and the Frezer 7-Pro will run at full speed! I don't think it will make a lot of difference as you are showing 32C for the CPU and 55C for the cores. Loosely translated the difference between the core and CPU's temps is the ability of the cooler to remove heat. It's a bit more complex than that but still a very good indicator of how well your CPU cooler does the job!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok Abuzar, have fun, see you soon!

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, hopefully I will.

We are going an a damn road trip for three weeks. I put a TV and my Xbox 360 in the van. Mass Effect, here I come!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, enjoy - or do the best you can anyway...

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the sub is 20% larger and redesigned with a rear slotted port. the voice coils on the two 8" subwoofers are 60% larger. the satallites have an updated crossover network. they have a better redesigned contol module. this can describe the improvements better than I can.

having actually heard them both, the ultras just add another dimension. the bass is tighter and stronger and the high end is more pronounced and crisper. I can hear instruments in songs now that I never heard before or knew they were there. it's hard to describe but I now realize why the reviews were so good. I said I wasn't going to brag em up so that's all I will say.

edited for spelling

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Know what I use? My Sony VAIO's left speaker, because the right one doesn't work.

Works out pretty well for me.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

everythings ordered once again lol. so in a couple two or three weeks i should have it up and running

I did decide to get the Antec 1200 case instead of using my Antec 900 . thought it would be more future proof down the road

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think it's ironic that you wanted future proof and you didn't get a quad core ;)

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I can change my mine and get a quad instead . I have till the end of next week to change my mind

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You wont be disappointed.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

for the price you cant go wrong with a GO stepping Q6600 but a Q9450 would be great too if you can afford.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, the Q9450 doesn't OC as much as the Q6600, but in regular(not extreme overclocks) the penryn architecture makes up for the difference.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

they should OC to around 3.6ghz ok. the additional L2 unshared cache with the Q9450 is nice and one reason they cost so much. both the Q6600 and Q9450 stock will tear up my E3110 at 4.0ghz mipps wise and in proggys that can utilize all 4 cores. sometimes the truth hurts.

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

hummm L2 12MB Cache with the Q9450 , very tempting. should I ? lol

and man the Antec 1200 is a pretty case

[​IMG]

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ZOSO.
    Mort just answered the questions i was gonna tell you about the Quad in the PM i sent ya..lol

Q9450 is the way to go with your mobo if ya can swing it.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Let's be fair now - it's a lot easier to change a CPU than to change a case, I think Zoso's decision is quite wise - but honestly, the only reason why you'd go for a 1200 over the 900 is the styling difference, or more room to work with - or perhaps the design improvements, if Antec have learnt from their mistakes with the 900. Cooling just isn't an issue with the 900, and you'd hardly want extra airflow for quietness, the cases are basically all holes which is terrible for silencing.

rick: The Ultra case you posted is basically a modified clone of the old Chieftec Dragon case - cooling wise it's adequate but not exemplary, build quality should be OK - if you like the look of it there's no real reason not to buy it, it's sort of a middle of the road case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.