1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thats the fun part. Every case is different, and every mobo is different so you cant just say "one way works for all".
    I've never seen a case that didnt come with wires for the front panel inputs or buttons. I had one case that didnt come with any connectors, just individually labeled wires that I had to trace back and say "Oh these are from this button so they must go here." I had another case where the wires were already in a connector, but not in the proper order to match the pins on my mobo, I took the offending wires out of the connector put them back in the right way then snapped the connector on the mobo pins and all was fine.
    What is needed is the mobo manual for help seeing the name of each individual pin. It shows where the pin groups are and what each pin does. Its not hard, you just may need the manual if you havent done it 100x already.

2. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

Thanks LP531

Will Have a Look into it when i come back.

Btw i wnt be able to reply before 27th. And ya il be building one so myself with the help of your list. i do have some questions bt ill ask them on the 27th. Thanks again man.

3. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

.rE. memory issue .rE.
    so you think that memory is gonna be enough?. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...034&CMP=KAC-GoogleAdwordsSKU&ATT=SystemMemory

what if im would like to oc cpu and im gonna get e6600 i heard that when you oc that cpu u need to change fbs or something and when you change that the memory is being overclocked to, so im not sure if those corsairs are gonna be enough i know that they would work on pc without any oc.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The E6600 CPU has a standard fsb of 266 with a multiplier of x9 giving you 2.4GHz.
    That means you will need DDR533 memory to run the memory on a 1:1 multiplier.
    So with the DDR800 (2x400) you have another 134Mhz FSB to add before you get the point where the DDR800 memory is even running at it's rated speed.
    400x9 CPU 3.6GHZ
    400x2 Memory DDR800
    Therefore unless you expect to push a long way past 3.6GHz you'll be fine with the DDR800.
    The DDR800 will also OC to a certain point, I've had mine running at 900 without any issues at all, you need to relax the timings ir 4-4-4-12 becomes 5-5-5-15 at the higher speed, and you may need more voltage 2.1V become 2.2V but it will work (all memory is different though) some OC's better than others.
    So now with the memory likely to reach DDR900 when OC'd, you could set the CPU to 450x8 still 3.6 GHz or 450x9 4.05Ghz (not recommended on air though) and very rare for an E6600 to get to that (especially with the newer batches).

5. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Ty BigDK . Im gonna take those corsairs and when im gonna get all parts, and start build it im gonna make an post here to get some help and not mest up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

No problem.
    I'll also do some pics and post to an area on my website with the information.
    You'll be able to link directly to it then and check any details you need.
    I'll PM you the details if you're interested.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@sarthak14
    No problem...Good Luck on your test's...
    I loved taking test's in school...Just part of my Nature...
    I would go in all pumped up...talking trash at the test...

I would order the components from Newegg...before the sale ends...
    Especially the Video Card...$329 for a 8800GTS is a very good price...I think I am going to pull the trigger...and get one my self...

8. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

BigDK you got web site? Is it about pc hardware?

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It's only my own personal site.
    Mainly got it to practice web publishing, and for somewhere to keep records of what I'm up to.

It's only been up for a few weeks, so is still in the early stages, I've got held up as my backup was on my RAID on the DQ6, and as thats down, I've had to just do a backup from remote to local on the other PC and the files have gotten slightly corrupted, working my way through tidying them up before I finally get back on track.

Eventually I'll post as may useful links and as much information on there as I can.
    Stuff like water-cooling, modding and software setup that I've used.

I've also just ordered my Chilly1 phase cooler, so I'll put an area on there that shows how I build it and then set it up.
    Hopefully it will help people who want to go down the same route, a there are plenty of posts on other sites, but they tend to miss out on a lot of the info that firt time users need to make the decisions.

Finally got around to doing a full stability test on my P5WDH at 3.6 GHz so I could post the results as official for the Conroe OC database.
    Trouble has always been finding time to just let Orthos run solid for 8 hours.
    Anyway did it yesterday 8Hr 10Min 100% x2 cores Orthos, passed without any problems, max core temp was 65`C.
    I've had this setup stable to 3.915Ghz but never run Orthos for 8 Hours due to high temps, when i start to hit 70+`C I don't like leaving the PC running that long (short time is okay) or even PCMark etc... is fine but Orthos just cooks it.
    Plus I had a little help from some extra cooling fans I got hold of on friday.

P5B Deluxe should turn up on Tuesday, Phase cooler could be between 14-21 days as they are made to order.
    Also ordered EK NB/SB chipset coolers and EK Mosfet coolers.

So new system will have phase cooled CPU, water-cooled Chipsets, Mosfets and GPU.
    I've also got some 240V high speed fans which I've added to radiator, they'll sit there powered off for normal use, when I'll just run the Akasa Ambers, then when I'm benching they'll be powered up and the extra grunt will make the noise worth while. I wouldn't want to use them all the time.

At 3.6GHz idle when I switched them on yesterday the core temps dropped from 31`C to 26/27`C which shows just how powerful they are.
    They cost £25 each normally, but I got them through work out of one of the equipment racks (perks of the job).

The P5WDH/E4300 combo will have a water-cooled CPU, as I'll transfer the Storm block from this setup to that, but I'll have to order another rad for that, but that will probably just be a single rad.
    Eventually when I change the 7900GTX out of my main rig, it will do into the second rig and I'll just add it to the loop.
    I'll then do some proper benching of the E4300 and post those details.

10. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@anyone

Does having over 256MB of video memory actually yield any performance gains, for the everyday user, average gamer? In the not so distant past I remember reading reviews that showed even 256MB had minimal to no gain over a 128MB card with identical GPUs.

I noticed that Newegg has a 8800GTS 320MB for $259.99 after MIR. versus the 640MB variant @ $329.99 after MIR.

Would there be much difference in these two cards?

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

This has a nice review of that card on 3 seperate machines.

You'll get a good idea of what performance to expect.

You'd probably only really see a difference in the two cards if you're using a larger screen, thats where the extra memory will help.

If you're using anthing smaller than 1600x112o then it won't make much difference at all.

There is however a big difference between either of the GTS cards and the GTX, with the GTX scoring about 3000 points higher in 3DMark06 @1280x1024 and 2000 higher at both 1600x1200 and 1920x1200.
    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/XFX8800GTS/index.php

12. okwudili

okwudili Member

I have got a problem with my PC.The problem is that i have run out of disk space and this is causing me a lot of problem such as when i'm downloading.My computer is pretty old(AMD ATHALON 600MHZ, 15GIG and 256MB RAM)I have tried to delete some of the file on my computer and that has just kept my computer running.But the proplem is that for most of the old software on my computer uninstall does not work anymore and i think the way behind this is to uninstall the software manually.I bet that its the old games on my computer that are taking most of the space.So i need some help.And also i have a problem with the mouse.it keeps skiping.It doesn't go smoothely.

13. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

if you have a dvd writer , transfer your dowloaded data into blank dvd's

14. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

Thanks BigDK...I guess the 320MB GTS will have a short lifespan, once DX10 games arrive. Guess I'll just stick with what I got for now.

15. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Yay! now im sure :) im 8800 GTS 640mb. on oc'ed e6600 to 3,6ghz with 2gb ram it should work like on e6700 without oc on 3,10ghz with 2 gb ram .:D ?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

an E6600 OC'ed to 3.6ghz will blow the doors of a stock E6700. only cpu's it won't outperform are the quad cores.

I'm gonna try 3.6ghz on my E6600 but I'm not 100% sure air is enough cooling power when it's under full load. We'll see.

17. crowy

crowy Guest

okwudili,
    Judging by your setup,you have the original mouse as well.(The old ball type).You can remove the clip underneath and remove the ball to clean it,or just get a new optical mouse and never have to worry again!!

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my 4300 @3.3ghz beats every other stock cpu other than quad cores in all the synthetic tests i ran, a 4mb conroe at or above that speed must be imense.

having said that, a guy in my old bf2142 clan that i play with has a quad (6700 i think) and with mine running 3.2ghz he only loads the next map 2 or 3 seconds faster than i do.

he wasnt happy about it when i told him mine was just the 4300 and his cpu alone cost more than my pc tower and contents.

edit

i think this has more to do with the way the game uses the cores and a true representation of its ability but never the less.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  19. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Quadcores aren't any faster than dual cores unless they're in the right environment,which hasn't been fully utilized yet.

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'd take a quad core any day.

The P5B turned up today:) and thankfully it is the 1.04G version C2 chipset.

Just got to wait for the phase cooler to arrive then its time to push this E6600 to the limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.