1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

abuzar1, after thinking about it your absolutely right so i changed my mind and order to the Q9450. It should benefit me using DVD Rebuilder

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you use DVD RB, a Quad's a no brainer.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

The only reason i would have not got the 900 and waited for the 1200 is for the ability to hold more internal hard drives. But saying that i have the 900 which for me that means 6 internal HDD's plus 7 external in USB/SATA enclosures (all are 500GB's). Never mind the internal & external ODD's - 3 of each.
    And when money permits i will just replace any with 1TB drives (internally or externally), so for me, the 1200 (as nice as it is) is just not necessary; plus it's too tall for my desk; wouldn't want it on the floor anyhow.

I'm a salesman's/advertiser's nightmare as once i splash the cash for a big build i'm not one to constantly eye up new products, unlike some of you here :) :)

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah creaky the Antec 1200 is tall 22.9" its barely going to fit. and actually I'm going to have to modify my slide out tray for my keyboard to make it work, moving it up about an inch

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whoo, I win!!!

Reporting Live from Georgia! They couldn't take me away from the internets.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my goodness that antec 1200 is tall. my stacker 830 is about 21" tall and I thought it was a monster.

ZoSo, did you find a TRUE and get one ordered? you dirty rascal :), you're tempting me to get a Q9450 sooner than I had anticipated. we can't let you rule the roost all by youself :)

sam, sorry I didn't follow up on your question sooner last night. DocTY called while I was in the process of answering and I didn't get it posted as soon as I had intended. you most likely had gone beddy by.

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yup the kid was right lol ^^^^^^

the more i read about the Antec 1200 the more i like it. the 1200 has dust filters unlike the 900

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes i found one but I'm not convinced to order it yet looks like a pain in the ass to install? I'm thinking about using the Zalman 9500/9700 and the wind tunnel with the Anrec 1200 I'm getting. and the Q9450 is ordered

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TRUE is miles better than the top end Zalmans - it cools better, quieter and doesn't fill up with uncleanable dust. They're no more difficult to install than the Zalmans, it's just fitting the fan that can be a pain.

Mort: No worries, foruming shouldn't be a 24 hour occupation.... :)

10. creaky

The Zalman 9700 is an excellent cooler. Maybe not as efficient as the monster cooler some of you go for, but it keeps my Q6600 nice and cool

edit- i'll vouch for it being a pain to clean, luckily i always have a small long brush to hand

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

it's not any harder to install than a zalman 9500/9700. the 9700 would be ok but I wouldn't go with a 9500. if I was going to do it all over, I would seriously consider a TR IFX-14. here's an intersting review of the TRUE. according to the review, the TRUE signifcantly outperforms even the 9700. I like the zalman 9500/9700 but the TRUE made a believer out of me.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, well exactly. Now it's getting a bit clogged with dust (which is hard to get rid of and even harder to stop) my CNPS7000, yes hardly a 9700, but still a Zalman runs my X2 4200+ at about 53C idle using 1200rpm fan speed. My TRU-A (not the extreme, let alone the IFX) manages 30 idle and 41 load on my 3.15Ghz E4300 with the fan at 800rpm...

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

he just got it lastnight. he went on his lunch break and got it. we put the fans in it, and he was takeing it home to transfer everything else over into it. i think its a awsome case. its allmost identical to the RC-690. minus mesh top cover the 690 has. it doesnt have the slide in removable hdd carriers the 690 does.
    and minus the Esata hookup on the top. and it dont have teh extra bottom fans spot the 690 does.
    he will get way better air flow than in the clear case he had. he is going to give that clear case to his neice i think.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

is the TRUE that good??

i know i have it OC'd to 3.6ghz but my volts are still lower than required and i do have my case out from under my desk and has plenty air circulating all around it.
    right now my CPU is 32c cores 52c and my CPU fan is spinning at 1311 rpms

am i just being to anal about these temps? or should they be lower? i know this cpu is supose to run cooler than most but mine dont seem to want to run cooler.

im getting ready to get the digitaly remasterd indina jones box set. that im gonna redo with dvd-rebuild ill pay close attention to the temps while rebuilder does its thing.

EDIT:
    just disabled cpu smartfan. no difference i see. ill let it run like this for a hour maybe then ill set it back. cant be to good for that fan to run at 2600 rpms all the time. heres a shot of everest after changeing the settings.
    [​IMG]

in the snart fan settings i did notice a option of voltage or PWM or auto whats teh differencs in those settings? it is set at auto right now.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  15. creaky

phew, when i read that i thought there was a new box set out, this box set came out in 2003 and i'd be a bit peeved if there was a newer set out (remember the endless reissues of Star Wars and Alien dvd's)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Yeah, as good as they seem, the stock clear cases really aren't that good.
    As for the heatsink, the results tell all - as long as you do have a fan there, it can practically be stationary and you'll get excellent temps - remember I run my case fans at a very low speed. In all honesty though Rob, your temps are fine - I just went with this heatsink so I can run my PC with no noise.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

does it have 4 disc with it Creaky? the 3 movies and then a bonus disc?
    im not 100% sure but i think this one came out last year. im gonna be leaveing here in about a hour to get it and i will find out for sure.
    wally world bound.lol

18. creaky

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    For an AF7-Pro or any PWM fan, the Smart fan control method should set to Auto and the next one down, the Smart fan control mode, should be set to PWM. Someone asked me just the other day why I didn't put a TRU or TRUE on mine and I told them it's because I don't have the need! The Freezer 7 does just fine in my case, and heat has never been an issue!! Not even with the D-940 cranked all the way up to 3.94GHz!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.